Aluminum Polishing

Jon28

• Member Contributer

I decided I wanted to polish the fork lowers and wheels on my cruiser (Shadow - Sabre) as a winter project one year. Picture Link

I finished the fork lowers but the wheels were just too much to do by hand.

I had them done locally for about $85 a piece.

Not saying it can't be done, just that it is a lot of work.

Also, get a respirator. You do not want to breathe the aluminum dust.

sPOTO

I did a valve cover on a 280z once. It took me about 8 hours to go from a smooth casting to a perfectly polished surface. The swing arm on our bikes would be very labor intensive to do since to casting is so rough.

Jon, you're much better off going through caswellplating.com, check out the forums there too, lots of good tips and tricks.

I polished my wheel lips, rearsets, chainguard, hardware, gas cap, stator cover & some other stuff on my F4i. It's a dirty job, I can tell you that. I wouldn't want to polish an entire bike wheel. Waaay too much work to pull off, and maintain.

gallery_5444_1301_184267.jpg

2001 CBR600F4i My squid bike : P

I have polished many bike, rc and auto parts. It is very labor intensive and a nasty job. I will never do it again. It is way too much work to keep up the shine.

The best metal polish in the world is simichrome.

YES! I forgot to add that to my post, I keep at least a couple tubes on hand!

Autosol is ok, but works better for clearing up hazy plastic like gauge clusters, m/cyl sight glasses, etc.

I did the lips on my rims and several other bits. The smaller parts I use a bench polisher

which makes it very easy. I love FLITZ polish, I've tried many and it works better than

any I have ever used.

cool thanks for the replies...I might end up taking the wheels to the local powdercoating guy and get them done. I think he charges $70 a wheel. And yes simichrome is the bomb....only takes a dad too!

YES! I forgot to add that to my post, I keep at least a couple tubes on hand!

Autosol is ok, but works better for clearing up hazy plastic like gauge clusters, m/cyl sight glasses, etc.

What is this autosol you speak of. It clears up gauge and headlight glass or plastic?

What is this autosol you speak of. It clears up gauge and headlight glass or plastic?

It's a whole line of products, one of which is also a metal polishing paste. I have read of other people having really good success with clearing up gauge bezels.Buy some here

Archived