Question On Fork Component Condition

Guest Jay_eS_Iye

Guest Jay_eS_Iye

I was taking my forks apart tonight in order to install new seals and clean up what looks like a very long time leak on my left fork (lots of crust built up on it from before I bought it). The right side looked about normal, dark red fluid came out, some pretty dirty. But when I went to take apart the left side, there were some weird things about it. For one the top cap unscrewed easily, where as the other side took some work to untighten. Then as I started to take out the spring and whatnot, I noticed some surface rust on it; not completely covered but in patches. Then I went to drain the fluid and there wasn't much it in at all (obvious a long time leak), but the fluid was mostly gray, and it seemed to be or two different liquids (like when you see oil in water, that kind of difference). Not sure what could have caused this, but wanted to see if this is something to worry about. I'm taking my forks to a shop tomorrow to have the seals removed and replaced with new ones I ordered, so I'll run it by them too, but maybe someone will let me know if this is something else to worry about. Also, what do I do about the rust that is on everything?

(if pictures don't work please go to this link)

IMG_0909.JPGIMG_0908.JPG

IMG_0900.JPGIMG_0901.JPG

IMG_0902.JPGIMG_0903.JPG

IMG_0905.JPGIMG_0917.JPG

No boubt that is oil and water. If oil can leak out then water can get in. If you clean the parts with a brillo pad that would work. It all depends on how deep the rust is.

Water in the form of rain was seeping in there through the worn threads it seems or maybe past the dust seal and oil seal??

there is supposed to be a rubber 0-ring under the fork cap, so is it there??

The threads in the cap have been damaged by improper installation, so consider replacing it.

The grey appearance of fluid is normal for fluid that has LOTS of miles, and the fresh-looking fluid in the other side means that the seals and fluid were changed more recently. If the fluid is red it means that ordinary ATF was used; however proper fork oil in equavalent weight (10 weight) is a better choice.

there is always some dark, viscous crud at the bottom of forks , so wash them out carefully before refilling as directed by Honda service manual.gallery_3647_3505_39185.jpg

032_32 vfr97.JPG

yeah who knows how long its been since the oil was replaced. I bought it 2 years ago this march and its been unrideable since september 06, plus the previous owner. WHat is a good way to clean inside the forks themselves? and what about the inner shock (or whatever you call it).

If it were me I would disassemble the cartridge and do a thorough cleaning and inspection. Just remove the bottoming cone, look inside the bottom of the cartridge and you will see the base valve, push the base valve in a bit and you will see a circlip. Remove the circlip and you can then push the base valve out by collapsing the cartridge.

But if you don't want to disassemble any further I would just remove the bottoming cone and then submerge about half the cartridge in mineral spirits or paint thinner and start pumping the cartridge up and down throughout it's entire range. This should flush it out pretty good.

SS8?????

i didn't know that. Thanks for info......

Yeah the honda stuff is red, looks like atf. SS8 is a 10wt oil.

I clean mine out with brake clean and then flush with fresh fluid. Makes sure to pump the rod good.

Archived