Suspension Set Up Advice

Guest ResqFE

I'm hoping to have my 01 VFR up and ready soon. I want to set my suspnsion up and want a good baseline to start. I'm 6', 220 lbs, and a gemini. Anyone out there that can help me out? I'll tweek it to my riding style. I enjoy the occasional canyon carving if that helps. Thanks

I gather its got the stock suspension. All you can do is set the sag and the rear rebound. Set the sag to 1.5 to 1.25 inches, do a search on how to do that. To set the rebound adjust the screw on the bottom of the shock so the rear comes up smoothly when you push it down firmly. It's a subjective thing though, it should come up fast but not snap back up instantly and it shouldn't come up slowly at all. It's hard to describe.

• Member Contributer

If you want to do it correctly:

Send your forks off to be revalved and resprung (or DIY with RaceTech), replace shock with an aftermarket that is sprung and valved for you.

If you want to do it cheap:

Change your fork and shock springs; get your shock recharged

• Member Contributer
The bike is setup for a 180lb rider type.

That's debateable. I think most would say that the stock boingers (especially up front) are too soft for aggressive riding for just about any rider weight. I think they were looking for a smooth ride for Japanese school-girls.

I think most would agree that decent suspension and tires are by far the best upgrades. Do that before pipe, PC, any of that other foolishness.

• Member Contributer

Here is a website that hows a basic video on the VFR setup, I did it for mine, give me a nice place to start, then I was able to tweak it from there, still get some rear wheel hop under hard braking but the ABS helps keep the rear wheel under control for the most part.

Setup video Only thing they don't tell you is how much sag you should have, but some one posted on here yoru sag should be between 32-35mm.

• Member Contributer

How strange.......the "Baileyrock Suspension Emporium" hasn't hit this thread, nor it's "most satisfied client"............ :huh:

My suspension is all stock with the exception of reworked forks from the previous owner.

I changed the trail on my ZRX by lowering the front 5mm. Is this something worth doing on the VFR to get the bike to enter turns quicker? Yes I know i'm sacrificing stability by doing that. Worth the instability?

My suspension is all stock with the exception of reworked forks from the previous owner.

I changed the trail on my ZRX by lowering the front 5mm. Is this something worth doing on the VFR to get the bike to enter turns quicker? Yes I know i'm sacrificing stability by doing that. Worth the instability?

Yes, dropping the front 5mm even 10mm will not cause any instability on the VFR, but start with 5mm. :thumbsup:

If the previous owner had the forks reworked did he change the spring rate too? O r do you know?

The proper springs will make the biggest difference in how your bike works for you. At 220 you should be looking at .95kg front springs and at least a 19kg(1100 lb) rear up to a 23kg(1300 lb), stock is 15.3kg(850 lb).

You will never get proper SAG numbers for your weight and stock springs. :rolleyes:

Yes, dropping the front 5mm even 10mm will not cause any instability on the VFR, but start with 5mm. :thumbsup:

If the previous owner had the forks reworked did he change the spring rate too? O r do you know?

The proper springs will make the biggest difference in how your bike works for you. At 220 you should be looking at .95kg front springs and at least a 19kg(1100 lb) rear up to a 23kg(1300 lb), stock is 15.3kg(850 lb).

You will never get proper SAG numbers for your weight and stock springs. :rolleyes:

Don't know what exactly was done to the forks. I'll mess with the preload up front and damping in the rear to see how she feels throwing her around.

Is there a 19-23Kg spring for the 929 shock available. I understand its a 6 7/16" long & tapered on one end. Traxxion only has a 6" or 7".

It doesn't need to be tapered, and Ohlins make springs of every length needed. :thumbsup:

Archived