Dual Star Heated Grips

bliss

Just ordered the Dual Star heated hand grips :thumbsup:. I also requested the "heavy wall shrink tube" with the kit. The shrink tube, they said, is needed to insulate the left side handle bar. Has anybody used the shrink tube with the Dual Star Heated hand grips? If so, how hard was is to to put the grip over the tube and heat element? I know that some people have used electrical tape to insulate the left side. Any problems with the tape and glue breaking down? Thanks in advance. -Bliss

• Member Contributer

I installed these on my 02 amd my 04./ Both times I used the shrink tube and felt that both grips had pretty close to equal amounts of heat. For $5 or whatever it was, I thought it was worth while.

It was easy to install and hasn't given me any problems since.

Actually the last set of Dual Stars I installed got extremely too hot on the left bar after I insulated the element from the bar. So hot I had to remove the insulation to make it usable! :goofy: When I called them they told me all the sets had be redesigned with Hotter heater for the left bar to compensate for being mounted right to metal bar.

After that experience I would not see the need for shrink tubes use. :pissed:

When I called them they told me all the sets had be redesigned with Hotter heater for the left bar to compensate for being mounted right to metal bar.

After that experience I would not see the need for shrink tubes use. :pissed:

I put mine on about two years, even then the design indicated a warmer unit for the left and you had to be careful during installation that you did not switch them. No shrink tube was needed. I notice no difference in heat left to right and on high I can hardly ride without smell’n burning flesh. :goofy:

• Member Contributer

I installed mine last year. There is a throttle side and a clutch side to make up the difference of the throttle tube. You only need the insulation for Aluminum bars as they tend to suck the heat into the bars. Not needed for steel bars.

I installed these on my 02 amd my 04./ Both times I used the shrink tube and felt that both grips had pretty close to equal amounts of heat. For $5 or whatever it was, I thought it was worth while.

Hey, Did you have any problems putting the left hand grip over the shrink tube and heat element? The guy at Dual Star said that I may have to use a "right side" hand grip on the left side because of the thickness of the shrink tube. Still waiting to take delivery on the heated hand grips. Thanks, Bliss

Hey, Did you have any problems putting the left hand grip over the shrink tube and heat element? The guy at Dual Star said that I may have to use a "right side" hand grip on the left side because of the thickness of the shrink tube. Still waiting to take delivery on the heated hand grips. Thanks, Bliss

I just installed the grips and did so with out the shrink tube. After about 15 minutes there was a difference of about 4 degrees 107.5 to 111. The left side was hotter with out the shrink. I think with the shrink it would get way to hot. The bars are steel and I think they tell you that shrink tube is for aluminum bars. All I did was wrap the filament on and shumck the grip on with epoxy. Use rubbing alcohol to clean up the epoxy before it cures.

• Member Contributer

I went to my local electrical shop and got some shrink tube and put it on the clutch side. With the shrink tube and the element the grip went on with no problem. Just haven't had good enough weather(nothing but snow and rain) to go out and test them out yet. It is very cool that with the heaters installed the diameter of the grip installed is a little larger which feels good under my big hands. Don't worry the grips will stretch. So for those of us looking for larger grips, look into putting a few layers of shrink wrap down before the grips go on. Some may not like this since it will get the heaters too hot but those without heaters it just may help out. :thumbsup:

• 6 months later...
I went to my local electrical shop and got some shrink tube and put it on the clutch side. With the shrink tube and the element the grip went on with no problem. Just haven't had good enough weather(nothing but snow and rain) to go out and test them out yet. It is very cool that with the heaters installed the diameter of the grip installed is a little larger which feels good under my big hands. Don't worry the grips will stretch. So for those of us looking for larger grips, look into putting a few layers of shrink wrap down before the grips go on. Some may not like this since it will get the heaters too hot but those without heaters it just may help out. :thumbsup:

For you guys running the Dual Star grips, where did you tie into the electrical? I have these on my KTM950, but there was an available fuse bank that I plugged into. Do the VFRs have empty/unused electrical connections on the main panel?

• Member Contributer
For you guys running the Dual Star grips, where did you tie into the electrical? I have these on my KTM950, but there was an available fuse bank that I plugged into. Do the VFRs have empty/unused electrical connections on the main panel?

I added a fuse panel to my VFR and tied all my farkels to that.

You could just run thru a relay that comes on when bike is running. Then you don't take the chance of running your Battery down. Thats that way I am planning on wiring on my DRZ

If you are still on the market to get grip heaters, I think Symtec is better choice than Dual Stars when it comes to even heat for both grips. If I remember right, the heating elements that Symtec uses are designed differently for each side so they will roughly heat up to similar temps despite the difference in their mounting. My Symtec system does seem to heat up evenly for both sides, so there might be something to their product claims. anyway, symtec also provides a much nicer looking switch than dual stars (so ancint looking that it looks like it comes from the 60's) if that is a concern for you.

JM2C.

Beck

95 VFR

• Member Contributer

Just FYI-

I ordered grip heaters from Dual Star a couple of months ago and never got them. I have called countless times and nobody answers and their voicemail is full. I called the tech line and same story. I faxed them asking for a status and there was never a response.

I ended up ordering the Symtec set and while it's too warm to use them, when I tested them they worked great.

Best of all, I actually received my order! :rolleyes:

• Member Contributer
If you are still on the market to get grip heaters, I think Symtec is better choice than Dual Stars when it comes to even heat for both grips. If I remember right, the heating elements that Symtec uses are designed differently for each side so they will roughly heat up to similar temps despite the difference in their mounting. My Symtec system does seem to heat up evenly for both sides, so there might be something to their product claims. anyway, symtec also provides a much nicer looking switch than dual stars (so ancint looking that it looks like it comes from the 60's) if that is a concern for you.

JM2C.

Beck

95 VFR

Dual-Stars are the same way. Atleast for the last 4 years. I looked at buying Symtec and I believe they are the exact same thing. I think Dual-Star orders bulk and repackages as their "kit". Dual-Stars ended up being cheaper and they are in the Seattle area. I have no problem with the Dual-Star product, and I have not had any issues with their customer service. I have heard many people having issues with thier CS though. Its a pretty small shop 6 or 7 people tops. This is not an endorsement nor I condone the lack of Customer Service on their part.

My $.02

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

As an update to my previous post - my order from Dual Star just magically showed up. I literally placed my order something like 2 months ago and have heard nothing. I called their number daily for 2 weeks and just went to voicemail, and then could not leave a message because their voicemail was full. I even faxed them asking to speak with someone about my order and I heard nothing in return. Terrible customer service.

Dual Star will never earn my money again after this. :unsure:

I bought the Symtec kit from California Sport Touring and it's identical to the Dual Star. And, I got it within a week of ordering!

• Member Contributer

I have installed grip heaters on several bikes. I just order the cheapo Kimpex snowmobile heaters which are widely available here in the snow belt, cheap. They're the same on both sides. Just a metal/plastic sticker that you wrap around the bar under the grips. I insulate under the clutch side with a couple layers of self-vulcanizing rubber tape, found in the plumber aisle at Home Depot. I use a throttle side grip on both sides. They heat perfectly evenly this way, and the grips end up the same diameter.

I don't use the switches that come with them, because the Low position switch uses just as much power as the High, and dumps half the current to a resistor. I don't want to waste that power - I need it for my electric jacket, lights, and other devices! So I just throw away the resistor, and dump the switch in my toolbox in case I find some other use for it later. I use a heat troller from warmnsafe.com to control my grips.

I have an aux fuse panel attached to a relay, for switched power, and run the grips from there.

The whole package (grip heaters, grips, heat-troller, aux fuse panel, relay) ends up costing less than it would for one of those fancy grip sets that you can get from the OEMs, or HotGrips or whatever. I can choose my own grips and do a really nice looking install.

Now I just need to get around to doing this on my VFR. The previous owner installed heated grips before he sold it to me, did a hideous job, and they don't even work. Doh!

I hooked mine up straight to the battery through a standard automotive relay run off the tail light only after killing the battery several times! :fing02:

Archived