Opinions On Textile Gear?

Alaskan

I love my Dainese leather gear for dry weather, but whaddiya do when the rain falls? I live in a rainforest, so it's no joke! What manufacturer makes the good armored rain gear?

• Member Contributer

My textile stuff is First Gear and it's great for warmth and keeping rain off. I wouldn't want to crash in it though. I still try to wear my leathers most of the time. If I am in textile I at least wear my Draggin Jeans under them. For warmth and weather protection I love textile!! If only you could zip it on top of your leathers!

• Member Contributer
My textile stuff is First Gear and it's great for warmth and keeping rain off. I wouldn't want to crash in it though. I still try to wear my leathers most of the time. If I am in textile I at least wear my Draggin Jeans under them. For warmth and weather protection I love textile!! If only you could zip it on top of your leathers!

Move over "little girl"............ :P ......seriously though, I have always been a "leather guy", but have had textile stuff for bad weather. This year I bought an Olympia Phantom 1pc. suit, and Olympia AST 2pc. I'm sold on the stuff...rain, shine, cold, hot.......great stuff..... :thumbsup:

www.olympiamotosports.com

• Member Contributer

I have the Teknic "Stinger" jacket and Joe's "Ballistic 5.0" pants. Both are water proof and tested to that fact. The jacket next to my ride is the best thing I own. It fits perfect, can be easily regulated from hot to freezing days. It has a triple fold zip systems which blocks out the rain as well as wind. Also comes with a waterproof liner. I love it I really do. My only wish was that it came with just a bit more reflective piping. I also have the new Sidi Canyon Gore-Tex boots. The whole combo is perfect for wet weather.

The pant bottoms have no cushioning though. Not sure if any others do. The jacket comes with a KNOX armor which according to Teknic is the best.

Cheers

• Member Contributer

My experience with both Joe Rocket and Teknic gear is that they are more water resistant than water proof. A quick jaunt through a shower or two will allow you to stay dry, but ride for 5 hours straight in the rain and you'll get wet. I usually carry a light raincoat and rainpants with me to throw over the gear when it gets really ugly out.

My 2 cents.

• Member Contributer
My experience with both Joe Rocket and Teknic gear is that they are more water resistant than water proof. A quick jaunt through a shower or two will allow you to stay dry, but ride for 5 hours straight in the rain and you'll get wet. I usually carry a light raincoat and rainpants with me to throw over the gear when it gets really ugly out.

My 2 cents.

My Olympia stuff has literally spent the day in rain.....so far, no leakage anywhere. I had a Joe Rocket Endurance jacket last year that never let me down also.......... :thumbsup:

Spidi textile gear is very good. :thumbsup:

I've got the Gran Turismo pants, and was going to get the jacket to replace the Teknic Hurricane I've had for too long, but I ended up buying a Macna jacket instead, as it has more leather on it, and better venting for warm weather.

Thanks, everybody! I think I might have been sloppy in my original post. I already have raingear I can slip on over my leathers when the rain starts falling on my ride. However, now I am riding in the DEAD OF WINTER! I am looking for dedicated foul weather armored/padded gear that will keep me dry and warm AND will protect me when I dump the bike. Thanks again for your replies.

Maybe I should move to the Southwest . . . .

I am looking for dedicated foul weather armored/padded gear that will keep me dry and warm AND will protect me when I dump the bike.

I got what you meant. I used to wear just leathers, but the weather is so changeable here that I wanted some gear that I could wear in all conditions. That's what I have now: it's waterproof, has zip-out thermal liners for the winter, and has vents for the summer. I also have CE-approved armour in the knees, hips, elbows, shoulders and spine, which I didn't have with my leathers (at least until I had some armour put in the knees of my pants after I'd binned it a couple of times).

My leathers weren't warm enough in winter, even with several layers underneath, and yet were too hot in summer. Now I'm comfy all year round. Granted it's warmish where I live now (never gets below about 5C in winter), but I can't remember when I last wore more than just a t-shirt under my jacket.

• Member Contributer

Aerostich Roadcrafter -- pretty much does everything you could ask an all weather riding suit to do. wink.gif I use mine year round, but for warmer weather reach for a Motoport Air Mesh Kevlar.

Here is the link to the 'stich: http://www.aerostich.com/catalog/US/Roadcr...it-p-16133.html

The new hi-viz is really, really bright. I like it. :beer:

• Member Contributer

Left home at 9 degrees this morning in my Olympia 2pc. gear on the Gold Wing.....rode around almost an hour. Bank thermometer showed 11 degrees when I got to Mrs. skuuter's store.

Fairly comfy except for slightly cold hands......Good Gear.......... :thumbsup:

For you leather people, they just don't make leathers for us old fat people......

And.. almost $800 for roadmaster... wow.... that's a lot of money for this Tennessee hillbilly.....

I like the Olympia AST Jacket.....

I am looking for dedicated foul weather armored/padded gear that will keep me dry and warm AND will protect me when I dump the bike.

I got what you meant. I used to wear just leathers, but the weather is so changeable here that I wanted some gear that I could wear in all conditions. That's what I have now: it's waterproof, has zip-out thermal liners for the winter, and has vents for the summer. I also have CE-approved armour in the knees, hips, elbows, shoulders and spine, which I didn't have with my leathers (at least until I had some armour put in the knees of my pants after I'd binned it a couple of times).

My leathers weren't warm enough in winter, even with several layers underneath, and yet were too hot in summer. Now I'm comfy all year round. Granted it's warmish where I live now (never gets below about 5C in winter), but I can't remember when I last wore more than just a t-shirt under my jacket.

So what do you wear?

+1 on the Aerostich Roadcrafter suit. Best piece of kit i've ever purchased. Wear it nearly year round, except when it gets too hot. I don't think i'll ever buy a different piece of textile motorcycling gear.

Move over "little girl"............ :P ......seriously though, I have always been a "leather guy", but have had textile stuff for bad weather. This year I bought an Olympia Phantom 1pc. suit, and Olympia AST 2pc. I'm sold on the stuff...rain, shine, cold, hot.......great stuff..... :thumbsup:

www.olympiamotosports.com

I wanna be like skuuter

I want that nuc yellow, so everyone will see me. That way if a cager says I didnt see

you, I can say my bad, SORRY I WASN'T BRIGHT ENOUGH!!!!!!!!!

No, I really do want one of those suits, just gotta convince my wife I NEED one, of course shell say what's wrong with the Jacket and paints you have.

My Answer will be It's not nuc yellow.

So what do you wear?

That was in my previous post - Macna waterproof leather jacket, and Spidi Gran Turismo pants (these have leather on the seat and inside of the lower legs).

Alrighty then - I threatened to post some pix of my new Macna jacket, but I haven't taken any yet, so here's a pic stolen from the website:

gallery_3710_217_66790.jpg

Macna "Summit" jacket

The jacket is leather, with CE-approved armour in the elbows, shoulders and back. That panel in the front actually zips right off, including the collar and the bit behind the neck / on the upper shoulders, revealing mesh underneath, and a lower/smaller collar. Fantastic in the summer months! :thumbsup:

On each lower sleeve is a double-ended, self-sealing zip, which can be opened from either end to let air in (mesh underneath).

The waterproof liner can be zipped out and stored in a pocket on the lower back (although my wife swears it's for her to put an iPod in!), as can the thermal liner.

What else?

Oh yeah - it has a reflective fluoro bib that clips onto the front and zips onto the back, for visibility when commuting. I haven't worn it yet, as my wife hasn't specifically asked me to. :salesman: There are also reflective panels on the sleeves and under the arms.

There is a cord on the inside to cinch the bottom in (the jacket is very long, so it comes down to just rest on the seat at the rear when sitting on the bike). On each side at the front, is a short belt which can be tightened to pull the waist in.

It has pockets! Lotsa pockets. Apart from the liner/iPod one, it has two in the lower front, two long, narrow ones on each side of the front chest, and two inside pockets, one of which is specifically for a cellphone. Or iPod.

So far, I'm loving this jacket! :thumbsup: It's so comfortable, and surprisingly cooler than my Teknic jacket, which had vent zips on the sleeves (four), chest (two) and upper back (two). Changing liners is more work (even with the explanatory cartoon on the lining!), as you have to unzip the cuffs, unzip the liner(s), pull the liners out and unsnap them from the vented lining, which is permanently fastened to the jacket at the base, then zip the vented lining back in. You can wear it without the thermal lining, or with no linings, but not without only the waterproof lining, which makes sense.

The only reservation I have about this jacket is the strength of the zips that hold the linings in: they are VERY fine, and I don't think they'll stand up to abuse. Also, the back protector is thinner than the Teknic's built-in one, so I'm thinking of getting an accessory one as well.

I use Alpinestars. I have been in some nasty rain storms and the jacket keeps me dry. Nice on colder days with the liner in also.

On the other hand my mesh jacket doesn't work so well in those unexpected rain storms. It must have something to do with all the holes in it.

• Member Contributer

3 words - Aerostich, Aerostich, Aerostich....oh, also, did I mention, Aerostich? :thumbsup:

• Member Contributer
+1 on the Aerostich Roadcrafter suit. Best piece of kit i've ever purchased. Wear it nearly year round, except when it gets too hot. I don't think i'll ever buy a different piece of textile motorcycling gear.

I agree (obviously)...but I also have worn mine in 115 degree stop and go Phoenix traffic - by the time you get moving again the sweat makes a great air conditioner! :thumbsup:

I have the Teknic "Stinger" jacket and Joe's "Ballistic 5.0" pants. Both are water proof and tested to that fact. The jacket next to my ride is the best thing I own. It fits perfect, can be easily regulated from hot to freezing days. It has a triple fold zip systems which blocks out the rain as well as wind. Also comes with a waterproof liner. I love it I really do. My only wish was that it came with just a bit more reflective piping. I also have the new Sidi Canyon Gore-Tex boots. The whole combo is perfect for wet weather.

The pant bottoms have no cushioning though. Not sure if any others do. The jacket comes with a KNOX armor which according to Teknic is the best.

Cheers

HA! I have the JR 5.0 pants and they were water proof, maybe twice. Now they are like a tent. You know when you touch it and water leaks in? My butt and crotch get completly soaked. They have armor in the knees but the material is very weak.

I have a firstgear kilimanjaro and it is totally waterproof and very warm. It is meant for sloppy conditions. It also has armor and the material is tough.

My 2 cents.

Only one thing is water proof, Rubber!

• Member Contributer

I gave up on MC textile gear. The stuff available in Aus is pretty average at best (Dririder ha!) I am a camper too and one trip threw my goretex raincoat over my leather jacket.

Completely convinced me. bone dry even after half a day in a southerly front that blew up from antarctica with sideways rain, thunder hail and the rest as we crossed the Victorian Alps.

Went out and bought a pair of goretex overpants from a camping store (paddy pallin or katmandu or something).

A bit pricey, but fantastic. Not bike specific either, but works well. I just throw them on over whatever I am riding in, so that stuff still protects me. Goretex breathes so not any warmer really but dry and when its warm you don't get all uncomfortable. And sure will cost a bit to replace if I hit the road, but I'll have more to worry about than a $200 jacket if that happens - like explaining it to the wife lol!

You can get goretex MC stuff, make sure the goretex is on the outside, not a lining. Otherwise your jacket still gets soaked anyway.

HA! I have the JR 5.0 pants and they were water proof, maybe twice. Now they are like a tent. You know when you touch it and water leaks in? My butt and crotch get completly soaked. They have armor in the knees but the material is very weak.

Well, just don't scratch yer butt and crotch when its raining.... eh?

LOL

-Craig

Archived