Should Hondaline Trunk Bracket Come With Rear Carrier Base

superfunkomatic

hi all,

i'm sure someone will be able to answer this.

just bought the hondaline mounting frame for the hard luggage trunk. i've got the frame, a smaller steel bracket, but no rear carrier base.

is this kit supposed to come with the carrier base that the trunk attaches to, or does it come with the trunk itself?

your help sincerely appreciated.

mike

hi all,

i'm sure someone will be able to answer this.

just bought the hondaline mounting frame for the hard luggage trunk. i've got the frame, a smaller steel bracket, but no rear carrier base.

is this kit supposed to come with the carrier base that the trunk attaches to, or does it come with the trunk itself?

your help sincerely appreciated.

mike

I just replied to your PM.

No, the plastic carrier base does not come with the steel bracket. It is included with the top-box.

The part number for the carrier base by itself is 08L42 MY5 C00

I've got just the bracket also. I always wondered if I just didn't get that piece. It really didn't matter to me, because I was just wanting the bracket to make a rack to hold a large travel bag, so I wouldn't scratch up the bike. Personally I never did like that top case perched out looking like something the factory had as an afterthought. I did see a post on here a couple of months ago, where someone made a bracket to attach the top case to the passenger handles and it set over the back of the seat. It looked as though it were also a backrest for the drive. Really cool looking set up...if you plan on always being solo.

thanx for the quick replies. i was a bit concerned that was missing a piece but it sounds like it comes with the trunk.

i like kanadianken's bracket idea, but the main reason for the hondaline bracket was - a) for the trunk obviously, B) the padded backrest and support for a passenger - i.e. now my girlfriend has no excuse to not come for a ride smile.gif

I'm glad you asked the question. I recently bought the mounting bracket and thought I was missing the plastic base as well. I'm using it as a starting point to mount a Givi trunck so I didn't really need it but thought something was missing...

• Member Contributer

Have you seen Ken Kanadian's solo mount for the OEM top box. It keeps the luggage over the cowl.

• Member Contributer

gallery_5799_3254_562942.jpg

DSC00037.JPG

Here's what it looks like on my 05 VFR. A powder coated metal bracket that bolts to the same location as the grab handles. It keeps things from hanging off the back. Brings the weight in closer for a better ride.

yeah, i was a bit surprised too, $250 bones and it looked like it was missing.

what a bastard thing it is to get on with the OEM luggage frames. the instructions are really straight forward, but lining everything up is unbelievable. when they say 'bolt on' they mean, fart around for an hour trying to line things up, loosening the frames for the existing luggage, strip bolt because it almost has to go in on an angle.

i'll have to buy a 6mm tap set to fix one of the holes, pain in the old buttocks.

but it's on. now i have to wait for david silver spares to ship the trunk and bracket.

I'm glad you asked the question. I recently bought the mounting bracket and thought I was missing the plastic base as well. I'm using it as a starting point to mount a Givi trunck so I didn't really need it but thought something was missing...

yes, ken's brackets are great.

the trunk and bracket were a gift from my girlfriend for graduating from university, and so i could bring my laptop along on my marathon 10,000 kilometre and 23 day trip coming up in a few weeks. plus, it looks so plush she may even come along for a ride now.

it was such a pain to get this bracket on that i don't want to take it off again. might invest in one of ken's brackets next year.

gallery_5799_3254_562942.jpg

DSC00037.JPG

Here's what it looks like on my 05 VFR. A powder coated metal bracket that bolts to the same location as the grab handles. It keeps things from hanging off the back. Brings the weight in closer for a better ride.

SOlo - bike looks great with the Honda TOpbox - I hadn't seen my bracket with that setup complete - in a photo. THanks for posting that! If you have any close ups - I'd love to see them.

Superfunk - I'll cut you a sweet deal on a bracket - just say the word. ANyone that kicks the taillights out of an a$$hole cager that chases you around - deserves a serious "attabaoy" in my books. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

My SOlo Rack bracket attaches in a couple minutes, a little bit of lining up the bolt holes, but not much more than that.

:thumbsup:

• Member Contributer

Sorry to Hijack this thread.... but the Kens solo bracket makes complete sense. It's well made, simple and yes it can be removed and stored in just minutes. Aligning the holes is a basic issues that can be resolved with just a little care.

Superfunk - you might be a little disappointed with the OEM mount. I started with that set up when I bought my VFR new and mounted it with the side cases. I did NOT like the fact that it stuck out the back so far. AND my girlfriend leans in close with me when we ride two up (and well she should) so leaning back and taking advantage of the padding on the front of the box is out of the question. It just does not happen even when I'm stopped at a traffic light.

She rides with me on a Honda 599 now and has her own set of Eclipse soft bags, so I switched to the solo mount.

Oh yea, it holds a TON of gear.

nope, not hijacking at all.

yeah, i understand the benefits of the bracket ken makes, 98% of all the riding i do is by myself.

the only real advantage for the honda bracket is that i can get more stuff on the back of the bike and still take (my soon to be occasional) passengers.

both the brackets serve a purpose, so i'll likely get one of each. i start my teaching practicuum in the fall so the trunk and bags will be handy for toting around my laptop and books and such.

but it's really going to be handy on the 15th for my extended trip.

i don't like the look of the trunk on the back of the bike, but it's useful and utilitarian. plus i've already explained to my girlfriend the vfr800 will be my sport touring bike by myself. in two years i'll be buying a bike we can 'share' - BMW K1200LT.

Sorry to Hijack this thread.... but the Kens solo bracket makes complete sense. It's well made, simple and yes it can be removed and stored in just minutes. Aligning the holes is a basic issues that can be resolved with just a little care.

Superfunk - you might be a little disappointed with the OEM mount. I started with that set up when I bought my VFR new and mounted it with the side cases. I did NOT like the fact that it stuck out the back so far. AND my girlfriend leans in close with me when we ride two up (and well she should) so leaning back and taking advantage of the padding on the front of the box is out of the question. It just does not happen even when I'm stopped at a traffic light.

She rides with me on a Honda 599 now and has her own set of Eclipse soft bags, so I switched to the solo mount.

Oh yea, it holds a TON of gear.

Archived