Soft Bags Heat Issue On New Vfr800

turgut kalfaoglu

I had a pair of hein-gericke soft bags from my old bike,

here is a link to the bags:

http://server01.hein-gericke-store.com/ope...ist.currblock=1

I was wondering if I could use these on my new VFR800-2008 ?

My biggest worry is the heat from the underseat exhausts. Would the built-in shielding of the pipes

protect these bags enough?

Many thanks!

-turgut

• Member Contributer

I have had problems with softbags on my VFR. One set of bags (I can't remember the brand) burned completely through and actually burned holes in my t-shirts. This was on a long 450 mile ride home on a trip. And in all honesty, the bags burned because my brother wadded his bike up on the trip and he had to ride home with me. So, I carried my soft bags and then strapped his soft bags on top of mine. The extra weight caused my bags to come in heavy contact wit the pipes and subsequent burning.

I then replaced the burned set with a set of Fieldsheer bags. They have sort of a plasticky back to them and under normal loading, the backs deformed some. Fearing a repeat of the burned t-shirt scenario, I then fabricated some light weight bolt on guards that prevent the bags from makeing much contact with the pipes. That has stopped all my problems.

I think a lot of it depends on the brand of soft bags you get and how you load them and postion them on the bike. I haven't had good luck and wish I had the scratch for some hard bags. But, I know several folks have toured with softbags and not had any problems.

• Member Contributer

If you stay with the stock exhaust (that has the extra heat guard/shields) you are much less likely to have any issue. If you have an aftermarket exhaust (they do not have the heat shields) you will probably have a problem.

• Member Contributer

I have Cortech soft bags with the tail bag, love em, have had them on for 2 longer trips, 1000 miles ea., no heat issue really at all, and it was just a "little" warm both times, 1st was 108 in Nv., then 113 in Az on second ride, the last ride there was a small transfer of the pad to the heat shield, very small, was easily removed with MEK.

I did protect the straps under the pipes with a shield because I have the fender eliminator on the bike. It's really a sweet set up, 2 quick connects and everything is off, talk about easy luggage.

• Member Contributer

Had Nelson Rigg and GIVI on my 06 VFR before the GIVI hard cases.......long trips with both, no problems whatsoever. (IMO) Nelson Rigg best for the dollar. Price no object.....GIVI is top of the line stuff............... :thumbsup: Have used Cortech bags on other bikes before....also good stuff with no probs.............. :beer:

Archived