Initial Review Of Bridgestone 021s

Guest tpierce(MP)

Guest tpierce(MP)

I had a set of 021s installed Friday afternoon, got to give them a quick run yesterday and tonight. My initial impressions: Terrific tires, they seem to be made for the bike. Great turn-in, great stability, great traction. So far, i've done probably around 30% corner carving, 70% highway, which is pretty typical for me, so we'll see how these do.

This bike had the OEM dunlops on it, they were decent tires, but nothing great for me. My last VFR had Bridgestone 020s on it, and i didn't like those tires much at all. The front cupped like nobody's business, the rear wore well, but i always had traction issues in the wet particularly. I'm amazed how much better the 021s seem initialy, only time will tell with their mileage. If i can get the 6500 miles i got out of the dunlops out of these, i'll be content.

I plan on taking a good 5-6 hour trip on the backroads of northern KY, southern OH this week, i can't wait.

I was always a Battlax fan way back and when I finally got back into motorcycling, the 021's just came out.

I've only got about 1500 kms (900 miles) on mine but have gone thru the rain, a short enclosed track and numerous hiway jaunts and have been very impressed. I like to take a run around our cloverleafs now and then and altho I'm not exactly a canyon carver, these tires have not faltered once and have instilled a bit more confidence into my skills as a rider.

I was always a Battlax fan way back and when I finally got back into motorcycling, the 021's just came out.

I've only got about 1500 kms (900 miles) on mine but have gone thru the rain, a short enclosed track and numerous hiway jaunts and have been very impressed. I like to take a run around our cloverleafs now and then and altho I'm not exactly a canyon carver, these tires have not faltered once and have instilled a bit more confidence into my skills as a rider.

Great way of putting it. I'm an by no means an expert rider, but these tires have allowed me the confidence to push them and the bike in general further than i have pushed it before, while still remaining well within my safe zone.

Just putting a set of 021's on this week, then off for a 2 week trip on her , mostly in the mountains, so will see how they work..I'm hoping they clean up some of the twitchyness my "new" 2000 has with its dunlops! I had 020's on my 05 and they worked the best to date of any for me! Hoping these the same deal with longer wear..will know in 3 weeks as I expect to have 8-10, oooo miles on them!

Know these arnt the same machine, but still looking forward to improvement with them on my 00.

will post the results either way!

• 3 weeks later...
Just putting a set of 021's on this week, then off for a 2 week trip on her , mostly in the mountains, so will see how they work..I'm hoping they clean up some of the twitchyness my "new" 2000 has with its dunlops! I had 020's on my 05 and they worked the best to date of any for me! Hoping these the same deal with longer wear..will know in 3 weeks as I expect to have 8-10, oooo miles on them!

Know these arnt the same machine, but still looking forward to improvement with them on my 00.

ok just hit 9700 km (6000miles) on mine , thats about the best i ever got out of my 020's and the dunlops. they were done..the front looks nearly new with no cupping , and the rear is still over half left!! just starting to get a flattend spot! I have been mostly highway miles, so I cant compare them to a guy doing city stop and go all the time, but I am comparing them to my other tires as they all were used for the same long trips....fantastic wear so far and the traction has been great. Have done some wicked rainstorms in the mountains in the twisties and no problems, mind you I wasnt exactly runnin the bag off it in those conditions! Hope i never find the limit in the wet..smile.gif

very happy so far, will buy again!!

After 2,000 miles on mine, I love them, on wet pavement also. :thumbsup:

Will buy again. :goofy:

• Member Contributer

And now the dark side.

I have a set on that's nearly worn out. My tires see a lot of HP put to them. I mostly ride in the twisties. At first the tires turn in great and the rear has great grip still. In summary, the front looses it's turn in greatly as it wears and it does cup. The front wears inordinately fast in the curves.

Doubt if I get another set. FWIW.

And now the dark side.

I have a set on that's nearly worn out. My tires see a lot of HP put to them. I mostly ride in the twisties. At first the tires turn in great and the rear has great grip still. In summary, the front looses it's turn in greatly as it wears and it does cup. The front wears inordinately fast in the curves.

Doubt if I get another set. FWIW.

I concur that it does go off as it wears-- like all other ST tires. I still think it is the best tire I've bought so far in terms of the mileage/performance equation, but I'm less inclined to ride at the ragged edge during the last 25% of the tire's life than on a sport tire. I can't speak for the rear since this particular tire seems to attract nails. <_<

I think we are going to find the same issues with the new Pilot Roads. There just is no perfect tire out there and most likely never will be.

• 2 weeks later...

Had 021's installed last Friday and proceeded to scrub them in all the way to the cottage. Perfect ride for a new set of skins. So far have about 1400kms and they do feel great. In the past I have had 010's and 020's and so far these are an improved product over the others.

As for higher mileage, time will tell how they hold up.

So far the feel GREAT! Very pleased.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

• Member Contributer

I'm on my 2nd set of 021's, no real complaints other than the front seems to wear quickly, but that could be due to how I ride now compared to when I first got the bike. I still get about 5-5500 on them before they get changed, could push them more but what the heck, a couple hundred is cheaper than new plastic and gear. Or worse, hospital.

Next set is going to be the Michelin pilots, from what I have read here thhey have about the same life, and close to same cost, just respond better.

The other thing that I do is run nitrogen in them, I will start checking air pressure at different parts of the ride to see how much, or little change it makes by having it compared to just air. There is a big difference in cars, and I started to think about riding from the valley at 110 degrees to the mountains at 70, and back, is the tire at 40, or is it at 46psi? Could make a big difference in response going thru a corner.

• Member Contributer
Next set is going to be the Michelin pilots, from what I have read here thhey have about the same life, and close to same cost, just respond better.

Assume you mean Pilot Road 2 tires. My 021s are much better than my Pilot Road (1st generation). Not sure on 021 wear yet after 2k but love the feel and the braking has saved my ass.

• Member Contributer

Assume you mean Pilot Road 2 tires. My 021s are much better than my Pilot Road (1st generation). Not sure on 021 wear yet after 2k but love the feel and the braking has saved my ass.

Hmm, actually pilot powers, but I was wrong on the mileage?

If I only get 3000 out of them I may change my mind and keep the 021's on it.

• Member Contributer

I have about 2.5K on mine. Still like them. :thumbsup:

With the softer compound on the sides you see more scuffing. You can almost see a line where the softer compound starts - but maybe I am dreaming. :goofy:

2943414470099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

Archived