5th Gen Frankenviffer

redmarque

• Member Contributer
Now, the weight of the completed bike with a full load of fliuds?

What! on the bathroom scales!! :warranty:

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Member Contributer

I have the greatest admination for what you are doing. Your forks are true to Norman Hossack in looks. That is the one weak point about the design - they don't look good to me. You had no choice; being constrained by the materials available to you (& Hossack in the original). Britten used carbon fibre & his forks looked great to me whereas the Confederate forks are similar but brutally ugly. The BMW cast aluminum are not pretty either. My favourite are the Vincent Girdraulic forged aluminum blades (not Hossack; a variation on conventional girder forks). I had a Vincent and stripped the stove enammeling off and polished up those aluminum blades - looked terrific. Like the Cyzsk (sp?). All of this is just comment & observation. Yours are going to look like what they are which is fabricated tubes. An honest design.

Did you have trouble with distortion of the steering stem bearing seats after the welding?

• Member Contributer
I have the greatest admination for what you are doing. Your forks are true to Norman Hossack in looks. That is the one weak point about the design - they don't look good to me. You had no choice; being constrained by the materials available to you (& Hossack in the original). Britten used carbon fibre & his forks looked great to me whereas the Confederate forks are similar but brutally ugly. The BMW cast aluminum are not pretty either. My favourite are the Vincent Girdraulic forged aluminum blades (not Hossack; a variation on conventional girder forks). I had a Vincent and stripped the stove enammeling off and polished up those aluminum blades - looked terrific. Like the Cyzsk (sp?). All of this is just comment & observation. Yours are going to look like what they are which is fabricated tubes. An honest design.

Did you have trouble with distortion of the steering step bearing seats after the welding?

Thanks Tok! It's in fact a variation on Norman's design, as ball and socket joints are replaced with the head stock ( heavier but smoother stearing)

I'm sure I could fabricate a lighter version, but as I've never built anything like this before it's safer this way. maybe i could pretty it up with a bit of fork cowling?

The Kawa GT 550 headstock is heavy but functional - saved a massive amount of fabrication.

I'm really interested to see what difference this front-end makes to the handling with 15 degrees rake - it will probably be very quick? I have a GSXR stearing damper on hand if it gets out of shape.

Bearings went in fine btw - such a big piece of steel didn't suffer from distortion.

Here's another pic of the progress...

suspension linkage mount on wishbone needs moving forward.

basearm.jpg

'Fun' With the battery location.

You can see why I'd like to remove some of the rear cam cover.

batlocation.jpg

Found a good location for the reg/rec

recmount.jpg

• Member Contributer

Page 8.22 of the workshop manual identifies that as the crankcase breather. A 'breather seperator' is bolted to the inside covered by a 'breather plate' torqued to 12 Nm with blue loctite. The rubber breather tube connects to the nipple on the front of that lump.

I assume you have taken off all the PAIR gubbins. Can you swop the front & rear cam covers around?

• Member Contributer
Page 8.22 of the workshop manual identifies that as the crankcase breather. A 'breather seperator' is bolted to the inside covered by a 'breather plate' torqued to 12 Nm with blue loctite. The rubber breather tube connects to the nipple on the front of that lump.

I assume you have taken off all the PAIR gubbins. Can you swop the front & rear cam covers around?

Fantastic Tok - that gives me an idea... I could re-locate the 'breather seperator' or make it 20mm shorter.

I'm leaving the PAIR system on until the bike's been though the UK MSVA testing - they do an emissions test :biggrin:

As to changing the cam covers around - there would be frame interference issues with the 'breather seperator' lump. good idea though :biggrin:

• Member Contributer

Scaring after operation on rear cam cover

OK I hope this works! plucked up the courage to remove an inch from the crank case breather lump. Hopefully the removal will only cause slight pulses into the airbox? A small expansion tank could be the fix for this. +1.gif

There's now enough room for the battery across the frame, plus clearance for the fuel pump banjo and return pipe.

newscar.jpg

maybe i could pretty it up with a bit of fork cowling?

This Aprilia concept bike might inspire some ideas...

Aprilia%20FV2.jpg

Looking good, RM. The frame is almost too sexy for the swingarm :beer:

• Member Contributer

Love the Aprilia Concept! Fork cowls like this would break the tube lines well, thanks Phantom! :beer:

My Radiator and oil cooler location are roughly the same location too.

• Member Contributer

First time sitting on the Hossack Viffer today!

Slightly aprehensive about mounting the bike - Wondered whether the handlebar position would be a long stretch? Bars are about 2-3 inches lower than standard and roughly the same distance from the back of the tank

Handlebar and front shock mount has now been fully welded (needs support struts like the front base tube)

Custom bolt and plugs to locate the stem clamps fabricated.

Stainless steel main engine bolt and front wishbone pivot bolts made

Still on target for the 1388mm (54.645 inch) wheelbase!

isitabike.jpg

• Member Contributer

Here's the linkage

The red dots show where cross bracing needs to be added from one side to the other.

in each end there are bearing bronze bushes - a system like this requires zero slack in the linkage

linkage.jpg

3 Red dots to the left show the scissor pivot points

scissiorpos.jpg

Dot to the right of the picture under the steering yoke marks the location of rose joint linkage to the forward pivot.

rosejoints.jpg

Now you’re probably wondering why i've included this extra linkage -surely I could attach the yoke directly to the forks?

Because the top wishbone pivot is further back than the handlebars - it would need link arms that could change lengths!

Plus if I used a scissor linkage from yoke to fork the ratio of bar movement to wheel turn wouldn't be 1 to 1! weird steering! :pissed:

Also a rake of 15 Degrees also moves the headstock further forward - making a BIG stretch to the bars

Hope i'm making sense? :huh:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer
360lbs + electrics, guages, coolant, etc, (gas = 30lbs/5gal), my guess for final weight with paint ready to ride is 405-410lbs. Very nice, right about what a CBR weighs! :fing02:

Cheers Seb! :fing02:

Spent the afternoon measuring for all the stainless bolts needed to fix everything correctly, 61 so far. Interesting to note that the VFR engine bolts are M10 fine thread

ECU is going to be mounted behind the airbox and stock connectors for speedo/rev counter are redundant as I've bought a Vapor unit! should save a few more grams chopping the loom too.

vapor_tachometer_w450.jpg

Vapor Spec - Link

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

Sometimes - 'other' things gets in the way of bike building. So I thought it was about time I posted a little update on the bettle VFR.

bolts1.jpg

Cooling system is now complete with silky silicon hose, stainless hose clamps and ducati 916 radiator.

R1 Caliper mounts added - parts for the earls hoses are waiting to go on.

Coils are mounted on a aluminium bracket on the left side of the frame between the engine and frame.

coilmounting2.jpg

thermo.jpg

Don't worry the frame look squewd as it's unbolted for now. Crankcase breather on the rear rocker cover has been re-welded to miss the frame tube.

Airbox has been modifed to fit around the frame tube.

Front of the box is going to have 2 entry points for the ram air mod.

airbox1.jpg

Finally standing back and admiring....oh yeah :biggrin:

bolts8.jpg

Guest vfrrider

Red Marque,

Nice job so far. Don't know about that radiator location, but like the effort.

May I make a suggestion for the rear, though.

NR replica

It would be killer.

Larry

VFRrider

• Member Contributer

Unless I get a radiator fabricated to go under the seat this seams to be the only option for now - i'd really like a wedge shaped one from a late GSXR would be slightly narrower and taper towards the base.

2007_suzuki_gsxr_radiator_2.jpg the 916 one was only $30

Tail fairings are really a matter of taste - i'm into the minimlistic look of the new fireblade and like integrated indicators like a gsxr1000.

the NSR tail is very cool especally the fin air intakes very ferrari! :unsure:

• Member Contributer
Plus if I used a scissor linkage from yoke to fork the ratio of bar movement to wheel turn wouldn't be 1 to 1! weird steering! :pissed:

Tony Foale experimented with this as well. Apparently not as weird as you might think.

Yes that's right - the riders he tried it on got used to the change very quickly. Interestingly the old Ner-A-Car has a 3-1 steering ratio on it's centre hub steering http://thekneeslider.com/archives/2007/10/...r-vintage-fest/

It's seams that most of the 'new' ideas have been done way before! :idea3:

• Member Contributer
Wow, this has been an amazing read! I'm curious what your background is redmarque? Obviously you know what you are doing. And... of course, will there be a kit?

Thanks! :idea3: I take it from your username you aren't the 'one' then?

Firstly i'm really no engineer! I started life with one of those father's who gave me technical lego and was a member of the Vintage Motorcycle Club!

I left school at 16 and went to the local college to do a foundation in art and design - went onto Central Saint Martins College of Art & Design in London to study honors Degree in Product design. Somehow after finishing (spending more and more time with computers) I've ended up as a IT Manager for an investment bank!

I had a lot of 'help' on this project but have tried to do as much as I can myself - I guess you could say I had a fair idea what to do, but only after reading Tony Foale's book and working with my now good friend from essex wheels and engineering.

As for a kit? who know's? I'm pretty sure that it 'should' handle well, i've even thought about adding a steering damper! :blink:

I can't wait to see if it works! :pissed:

• Member Contributer

As requested a 'cockpit' view.

My, what a mess! :fing02:

cockpit.jpg

I've modified the standard oil cooler take-offs to except earl's hoses

earlcooler.jpg

Sanded down and painted the throttle body side plates Satin Black, will change out the standard bolts to stainless (shiny)

tbody.jpg

Didn't realy like the huge standard caliper so i'm modifying CBR600RR rear caliper to fit above the swingarm - should keep the dirt off and look trick.

I'd like to put the hose though the swingarm aswell

rear%20caliper.jpg

• Member Contributer

What you propose for the rear brake is novel. Like the front end is.

What I notice about your workshop is more how small the space you have created this in rather than how cluttered it is.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

The other side... :biggrin:

trace.jpg

Exhaust system is coming along, i've modifed the front down pipes to miss the radiator and cooler. Early cbr600 pipes have that same size header tubes

Stock pegs are a temporary solution until I finish the bespoke rearset design, also good to take measurements from for the rearset relationship to engine and swingarm mountings.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

After much adjustment, fabrication and head scratching (standing and looking at the bike) :biggrin:

I've finally got around to the rearset design! way way back last year I decided that the stock 5th Gen footpeg hangers look disgusting...

The structural elements of standard 5th gen hangers are very good - especially using the swingarm pivot as a mounting point.

But as you know there isn't any adjustment! I've tried various designs trying to allow for some forward and aft movement - none of which look any good!

Here's attempt number 14 (left side rearset) It has height adjustment only - 3 positions at 36 degree increments.

Brake lever in this pic is shown lower than final design so that it can be seen against the hanger

Heal plate design is to be finalised afterward as 3mm plate aluminium can be easily fashioned by hand.

Would most apreciate you guy's input! :fing02:

leftrearset.jpg

Guest vfrrider

I know you love fabricating, but there are some real nice rearsets on Ebay for the NC30-35 or even the NSR series.

Larry

VFRrider

• Member Contributer
I know you love fabricating, but there are some real nice rearsets on Ebay for the NC30-35 or even the NSR series.

Larry

VFRrider

There very nice rearsets too..

b720_1_b.JPG

Mounting on the 5th gen engine/swingarm would be interesting?