Bouncey Front End

Guest Car54

Guest Car54

Since I replaced my fork seals, I've started to get/notice a bit of bounce in the front end when traveling over choppy pavement at low speed. I would equate it to not having enough fluid to dampen the springs, but when I did the job it appeared that that wouldn't be the case. When I filled the forks, I did pump the shock to fill it with fluid and measure 100mm of air gap as directed. I didn't reset my sag, that may be it. The ride on swoopy pavement and corners seem perfect so I'm afraid to touch it without some consult with you guys.

Thanks,

Craig

Since I replaced my fork seals, I've started to get/notice a bit of bounce in the front end when traveling over choppy pavement at low speed. I would equate it to not having enough fluid to dampen the springs, but when I did the job it appeared that that wouldn't be the case. When I filled the forks, I did pump the shock to fill it with fluid and measure 100mm of air gap as directed. I didn't reset my sag, that may be it. The ride on swoopy pavement and corners seem perfect so I'm afraid to touch it without some consult with you guys.

Thanks,

Craig

you are on the right path....check the sag. not much else to adjust except the oil level, but if it was all fine before and the only thing you changed was the seals, then the preload could definitely be part of the issue. did you possibly change the wt of the oil in the forks? did you insure you put the springs in correctly (progressive springs...so it makes a diff)?

I used the oil that Honda called for, SS-8 or something....ah let me check. Yes it's SS-8, 10w. Springs are definitely in their the right direction. I didn't think the oil level was crucial since it's mainly used to control the dampeners, but I was +/- 10% with the 100mm. The one thing I noticed is that I set the lock nuts to the top of the dampener rod. When I disassembled they were a couple of turns down. I wasn't sure I could get them even if I didn't baseline them. I did turn a full turn out on the top adjustment after the a test ride. I'll try to talk wifey into setting sag with me tonight......

I used the oil that Honda called for, SS-8 or something....ah let me check. Yes it's SS-8, 10w. Springs are definitely in their the right direction. I didn't think the oil level was crucial since it's mainly used to control the dampeners, but I was +/- 10% with the 100mm. The one thing I noticed is that I set the lock nuts to the top of the dampener rod. When I disassembled they were a couple of turns down. I wasn't sure I could get them even if I didn't baseline them. I did turn a full turn out on the top adjustment after the a test ride. I'll try to talk wifey into setting sag with me tonight......

i would think 10mm dif in oil height could make a difference too.

I think I was exagerating, I used a stick and measured it with a caliper. I just wasn't sure if it was measured to the start of the threads on the inside, or to the top of the tube. I measured to the top of the tube. Checked sag tonight, rear was a click too firm, and found the front was almost dead on. Did find that the right preload was 1/2 turn softer than the left. Equaled them out and will ride tomorrow.

• 4 weeks later...

10 percent more oil will be a much stifer fork 10 mm less oil will be much softer fork.

Oil height is really pretty cruicial.

10 percent more oil will be a much stifer fork 10 mm less oil will be much softer fork.

Actually oil level only effects the very last inch or less of fork travel by increasing or decreasing the air gap, this acts as a secondary anti bottoming spring. As long as you have enough oil(min. level) it will not change the action(dampening) of the forks until your near the end of travel where your compressing the air volume in the tubes. If your forks are bottoming just add 10mm of oil and test ride.

• 1 month later...
Guest VFRJohn

This is not intended to sound rude, but... did you remove the damper tube assembly? And if so, is is possible you left out the "oil lock piece" at the bottom? This would certainly reduce the damping effect, I suspect.

Actually oil level only effects the very last inch or less of fork travel by increasing or decreasing the air gap, this acts as a secondary anti bottoming spring. As long as you have enough oil(min. level) it will not change the action(dampening) of the forks until your near the end of travel where your compressing the air volume in the tubes. If your forks are bottoming just add 10mm of oil and test ride.

I'm running 90mm rather than the standard 100mm oil height it stiffened the entire fork, I had to back way off on the preload. The greatest effect of oil height may be in the last 2 inches , but when your talking only 4 or 5 inches of travel thats not alot of travel. But with stock oil height the forks could easily be bottomed and too much brake dive ( I was running alot of preload to keep the dive and bottoming at bay). I think 95 mm oil height is probably about perfect as I can get with the stock spring rate.

I could probably use stiffer springs but, its ridable

Archived