New Member Needs Help With Dealer Inspection

Guest optiman

Guest optiman

Hello I'm a new member who is picking up a Black 06 from dealer tomorrow. Bike has 2400 miles and looks great! It includes Sargent seat, Heli risers,Laser Extreme pipes,unknown tinted shield(larger than OEM),aftermarket levers and stainless bar ends.

This type of bike is new to me, so what items should I look for that might have a problem. I don't want to drive it off the lot before the bike is inspected for common problems that I'm not aware of and dealer does not want to acknowledge. Any input from the members would be helpful. Thanks, OPTIMAN

• Member Contributer

Congrats!

Make sure the kickstand bolt is tight and check the 30 amp fuse holder and wire next to the battery for melting/burning.

That's all I can think of at the moment.

• Member Contributer

Umm, oil!! (see another thread). wink.gif

Sounds like a great specimen. Nothing really comes to mind other than the typical inspection (no recalls, etc).

• Member Contributer

Have the Dealer pull off the seat and fairings. Check to see if the electrical is cobbled together (someone in Hawaii had an issue with this a few weeks ago), like dutchinterceptor said check for burnt wiring/connectors around the battery, verify the toolkit is in place. Bring someone along that knows motorcycles. Are the passenger seat cover, grab handles and handle mount covers included? Ask the dealer if they aren't with the bike. Have the dealer check the tire pressures or check them before you ride. Same with chain lube.

Spike

Have the Dealer pull off the seat and fairings. Check to see if the electrical is cobbled together (someone in Hawaii had an issue with this a few weeks ago), like dutchinterceptor said check for burnt wiring/connectors around the battery, verify the toolkit is in place. Bring someone along that knows motorcycles. Are the passenger seat cover, grab handles and handle mount covers included? Ask the dealer if they aren't with the bike. Have the dealer check the tire pressures or check them before you ride. Same with chain lube.

Spike

What he said, seat cover, grab rails, tool kit.

Be sure to inspect the color of the fluid in the brake and clutch master cylinders; they should look like green tea, or close to it. If they look like honey or darker, make them replace the fluid. It degrades with time as well as use.

Wouldn't hurt to ask to have the starter valves synched.

When you get it home you may want to take a look at the condition of the fork oil.

And, it should come with a full tank of gas. Any dealer worth dealing with would do this for you without being asked. :thumbsup:

Archived