What Do I Need To Do To Fix This?

turtlecreek

I have an 03 that I have put .95 springs up front and a newly rebuilt and resprung f4 shock for the rear. SAG is great at 28mm and 30mm front and back.

I recently took the bike to the track and after 1 warm up session, promptly put it up and spent the rest of the day on my YZF track bike. The reason?.....I had the most uncomfortable feeling in each turn.....

I chalked it up to 100 other reasons and went on with the YZF and had a great time of it. the bike handle quite well.

So I have not had the time to ride since then and I forgot about the 'uneasy' feeling at the track until I road today.

I wish I was more familiar with suspenson so I could explain it better, but every curve felt as if the front was simply wiggling around any time my body moved.

I know, I know, dont move your body.....what I mean is I would move to set up for the curve and it felt as if it would cause a ringing in the suspension. My only comparison is the YZF with rebound/damping compensation and it definitely is much more 'planted', doesn't ring, etc. than the VFR.

So, can any of you suspension wizzes, tell me what is going on? Or if not, what else can I tell you to better describe the issue?

Should I try a cartridge drop in? Get it revalved? or is the stock system not fixable and I just need to replace the entire front?

As a point of ref, I am 250lbs and riding what I call moderate on back roads. ie try and maintain PACE of 60mph at all times on back roads of TN.

I really feel this must be a damping issue, but would love to hear your thoughts and suggestions.

I get the bouncing in a different bike (one with adjustable damping) that goes away when I back off the compression and/or rebound damping. Perhaps your 95 springs are too stiff for your needs. Certainly I've heard a revalve helps the stock fork, but you might try new stock springs first.

I get the bouncing in a different bike (one with adjustable damping) that goes away when I back off the compression and/or rebound damping. Perhaps your 95 springs are too stiff for your needs. Certainly I've heard a revalve helps the stock fork, but you might try new stock springs first.

problem is, without .95's (aka the stock springs) SAG was 50mm+ and nose dive was horrific.

i might actually need 1.0's, but again, without being a suspension expert, not sure if i have already 'overpowered' my rebound beyond fixable and would be wasting money....thus, do i need different forks all together or is a rebuild possible and will it help?

As a guess I would say it's your valve action in the forks. Like you said .95 or 1.0 should be right for you springs but I bet you valve is allowing the wrong amount of fluid to pass through and that’s what is giving you that squirmy feeling. I am curious as to the out come because I plan on doing the same thing this winter. Good Luck and write back if you figure out the problem.

Action

According to my Race Tech Suspension guy, the valving in the VFR fork is too restricted. Gold Valves allow you to set the damping to suit your springs, via the shim stack and oil grade. I have done this to my VTR forks (much the same internally as the VFR) and it makes a pronounced difference. I have had the VFR done as well, but I am yet to reassemble the bike for testing. This may be your problem. Same theory applies to the shock, however the forks will give most noticeable improvement in my opinion.

Certainly try raising the forks back a bit first though. My Gen 6 was very slow in standard form, and 7mm sounds ok, but maybe 4 or 5mm might be better.

Archived