What Is Cupping

Guest porgie84

Keep in mind that most roads are banked or are tapered from the middle(like a roof) for water run-off purposes; so even when you're tooling along a straight stretch of road, you're wearing the left side more. (or the right, if you live in one of them "backwards" countries... :P +1.gif )

I love my Qualifiers. Everyone who's ridden my VFR also ends up loving them.

FWIW I also run those on my TL1000R track bike. They stick really well and the handling is totally predictable even when over heated. The wear pattern is pretty good too. I get about 4000MI out of a set or 4 track days...which ever comes first. YMMV.

I felt the PPs were a little more greasy...I never felt confident with them.

Dunno about the wet...it doesn't rain here :D

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I think I will end up with those....I was so curious as most folks here never seem to debate the Qualifiers.

I've been running Dunlops for a lot of years and I've never had the problems that you guys are talking about. As posted above I pretty much only ride twisties/track and I've never been bashful about changing tires or spending money. That said, I get about 4000 miles from a set of Qualifiers(which is about average). Maybe I'm generating more rubber boogers off of the tire(29psi front, 31 rear)? Dunno but it pains me to hear such awful thing said about Dunlops.

I think they are referring to the ST Dunlops, not the qualifiers.

I have only ridden a few miles on qualifiers on a 07 600RR and I liked them very much during that short ride.

A cupped tire will literally feel bumpy if it's cupped enough.

I had a set of Qualifiers on my bike and LOVED them. HOWEVER, my front was cupped terribly when I went to TMac and I ended up replacing it while I was there. The bike was steering like a dump truck and I had previously mentioned head shake, even going straight. The rear gave me about 4000 quality miles but the front only had about 5000 on it; I expect to keep a front twice as long as a rear. They don't wear for crap but they really are a good tire if you've got plenty of money laying around. :thumbsup: Since I don't, I switched to Pirelli Corsa III's, hoping to make the middle last a little longer (hey, I live in Ohio).

motorcycle and most other vehicle tires have some indicator built into the tread, usually they have some colour.

they let you know that the tire has worn past its useable life.

really, if you see wear bars, you're treading on thin ice. no pun intended. +1.gif

Not to hijack the thread.....but what are exactly the "wear bars"?

I've been running Dunlops for a lot of years and I've never had the problems that you guys are talking about. As posted above I pretty much only ride twisties/track and I've never been bashful about changing tires or spending money. That said, I get about 4000 miles from a set of Qualifiers(which is about average). Maybe I'm generating more rubber boogers off of the tire(29psi front, 31 rear)? Dunno but it pains me to hear such awful thing said about Dunlops.

I think they are referring to the ST Dunlops, not the qualifiers.

I have only ridden a few miles on qualifiers on a 07 600RR and I liked them very much during that short ride.

A cupped tire will literally feel bumpy if it's cupped enough.

I had a set of Qualifiers on my bike and LOVED them. HOWEVER, my front was cupped terribly when I went to TMac and I ended up replacing it while I was there. The bike was steering like a dump truck and I had previously mentioned head shake, even going straight. The rear gave me about 4000 quality miles but the front only had about 5000 on it; I expect to keep a front twice as long as a rear. They don't wear for crap but they really are a good tire if you've got plenty of money laying around. :thumbsup: Since I don't, I switched to Pirelli Corsa III's, hoping to make the middle last a little longer (hey, I live in Ohio).

FWIW I always replace both tires at the same time. The whole front not wearing as fast as the rear thing is poop. The front wears every bit as fast as the rear. That said it is totally dependant on how you ride. I tend to wear out the edges of the tire before it starts to look like Frankensteins head. YMMV

Archived