Sw Motech Alu-rack Opinions

Guest heavymental

Guest heavymental

Anybody here have experience with Alu-Rack/Givi case combo for the Vtec.I have hondaline side bags and need a topcase, but dont like the hondaline topcase. Is it stable at speed and with a passenger backrest? thanks

Anybody here have experience with Alu-Rack/Givi case combo for the Vtec.I have hondaline side bags and need a topcase, but dont like the hondaline topcase. Is it stable at speed and with a passenger backrest? thanks

I have the SwMotech rack (with the OEM sidebags) with a Givi 350 topcase and love it. Most times I don't bother putting the sidebags on if I'm not touring. Haven't noticed any instabilities with the gear attached. Can't comment on the back rest as I ride solo.

Get the adapter plate ($30 extra I think). It has quick detach fasteners which makes it easier to pop off than the adapter plater which comes with the Givi Topcase, which is screwed on.

• Member Contributer

I use the SW motech alu-rack and a Givi topcase, Is a great system, from twisted throttle. It lets you pull the trunk off quickly and then remove a plate with 3 1/4 turn screws , quick release system, excellent. Lets bike go from touring to the sporty look/no clutter in seconds, is a sharp rack on bike, mine is silver and matches my silver 03, way nicer than stock unit/ugly and german made/high quality. My givi trunk has the pass rest pad and stays put, no movement, provided the 3 qty 1/4 turn screws are the correct length, there is a long and short size, using the short ones, and also the bumpers on plate are tall enough, also 2 sizes, using the tall ones so as too avoid any rocking play in between base of trunk and mounting plate...dont let this confuse you, is a simple system, just tell Erik at twisted Throttle to throw in a hardware kit with all the options when ordering your alu rack, 100% happy with unit and I overload my trunk and ride at high speeds cross country, never a problem, thanks Doug

• Member Contributer

I'm happy with the sw motech rack. It looks better than the honda piece although not as beefy. If someone is really going to be leaning on the backrest, I'd go with the Honda rack even if it is almost twice as much.

• 1 year later...
  • Member Contributer

I've just "discovered" it for myself and would like to know if anyone has any issues with it. It appears to attach in one place and then an long lever toward the back. Seems to me that the tubes that go back are not really supported by anything and will flex.

Since I've never seen it in action, I'm basing my assumptions on this picture:

3960-500x600.jpg

I guess I just need to know if it can carry a top box full of stuff (not bricks :unsure: )

• Member Contributer

I have a SW Motech topcase rack, and when I used it I never had an issue about it not being strong enough. And although I never carried rocks or bricks, I did have it fully loaded a time or two and it was fine. Yes there is a tiny bit of flex when fully loaded, but it's pretty solid and well built so don't worry about it.

I did have a problem with one of the cam locks that holds the adapter plate to the rack though, so I just replaced the cam lock with a small hex bolt and lock nut. I think the quick release system is nice for removing the adapter when you're not using the mount, but if you're going to run with a topcase all the time then based on my experience I suggest using permanent fasteners to secure the adapter plate to the mount.

Since this topic came up it reminds me that I need to sell my SW Motech rack as I now use a Kanadian Ken mount. It's a little weathered and could use a fresh coat of paint. Oh yea, and a cam lock. You can get them from Twisted Throttle.

Insert Shameless Plug: PM me if you want to buy my system at a fair price. :unsure:

• Member Contributer
I use the SW motech alu-rack and a Givi topcase, Is a great system, from twisted throttle. It lets you pull the trunk off quickly and then remove a plate with 3 1/4 turn screws , quick release system, excellent. Lets bike go from touring to the sporty look/no clutter in seconds, is a sharp rack on bike, mine is silver and matches my silver 03, way nicer than stock unit/ugly and german made/high quality. My givi trunk has the pass rest pad and stays put, no movement, provided the 3 qty 1/4 turn screws are the correct length, there is a long and short size, using the short ones, and also the bumpers on plate are tall enough, also 2 sizes, using the tall ones so as too avoid any rocking play in between base of trunk and mounting plate...dont let this confuse you, is a simple system, just tell Erik at twisted Throttle to throw in a hardware kit with all the options when ordering your alu rack, 100% happy with unit and I overload my trunk and ride at high speeds cross country, never a problem, thanks Doug

Good review Doug. When riding two-up, does the frame rails decrease passenger comfort? I read on the Twisted Throttle site that the bars may rub into the passenger's legs. Do you have any pics you can post? Thanks, John

• Member Contributer
Selfless plug here - if you are looking for a top box rack, for riding SOLO:

IMG_4608_3_1.jpg

I have about 5 of these left.

Nice setup. What tail box fits this? Thanks, JD

Selfless plug here - if you are looking for a top box rack, for riding SOLO:

IMG_4608_3_1.jpg

I have about 5 of these left.

Nice setup. What tail box fits this? Thanks, JD

Predrilled to accept the baseplate from GIVI or HOnda. Sorry - Not trying to jack this thread - look over here for more:

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.p...st&p=530987

Archived