Powder Coating Everything...

JZH

• Member Contributer

Anyone powder coated their bike's frame? Or maybe anodized it? My FP's a mixture of cast and welded alloy, so I'm not sure anodising would yield acceptable results. I've got my FP in the garage and on the lift, and I'm thinking about how far I want to go (this time). I'm also thinking about changing swing arms, but the RC30 arm is 35mm shorter than the RC36 arm, which is probably a lot. (Hmmm. Maybe another thread for that question.)

Anyway, any experience/thoughts on changing colors of frames, then? TIA...

Cheers,

JZH,

I seem to recall some spirited debate on the big list some years ago regarding whether the frame is already anodised or not, and IIRC the consensus was that yes, it is... and that to polish (for example) the frame, you would need to first cut through the anodising.

Guest vfrrider

JZH,

Yes, the frame is anodized and the cast sections will gives you different results.

The popular opinion is that powder coating is the way to go, plus it gives you more options.

Larry

VFRrider

• Member Contributer

I've seen powder coated VFR swing arms, but not frames. But, as you say, anodizing the frame black (my colour of choice) might end up looking rather dodgy. There are other coatings/treatments available, I'm sure, but I don't know which (if any) would be suitable.

I've already planned on hauling a load of parts to the powder coaters, so why not a frame? :D

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

Thanks, Rob.

But, in the immortal words of Andy Pipkin, "I don't like it." :o

Maybe it's the red wheels (which I really don't like!), but the whole effect just isn't what I was looking for. Back to square one...

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

You want me to powder coat that frame? Blasphemer! wink.gif

Ciao,

Archived