How To Do Wheel Alignment

Guest Jay_eS_Iye

Guest Jay_eS_Iye

I am needing to realign my front wheel on my 91 and didn't know if this is something I can do myself or that I need to take in to be done. I laid it over last year and thanks to the Army I haven't been able to do anything on it until now.

The front wheel seems to be out of alignment, I can turn one way tighly but the other way I have almost no turning radius. How do I go about fixing this?

• Member Contributer

I don't think your alignment is at fault. When I first bought my VF700, the fairing stay was bent and blocked the forks from turning. That'd be the most likely candidate, I think.

its not that my handlebars won't turn, they turn all the way like normal, but its like the wheel and handlebars aren't in sync with each other. And I noticed the fender and the wheel don't line up either right now

• Forum CEO

Well look down the top of the forks and see if they look a bit twisted up in the clamps, in which case you can just loosen the bolts on the clamps (top and bottom clamps) and straiten them out. second look at the top of the fork tubes make sure they are level with each other, one slightly lower then the other could cause this problem. Third take off the wheel and inspect your axle and the wheel bearings a shot wheel bearing will also cause the symptoms your talking about. Then have a look at the fork tubes, perhaps you bent a tube when you crashed, then inspect your fork seals if you lost a fork seal it can go unnoticed which means one fork can be without fork oil while the other is full of oil. This could have an uneven damping effect on one side making it steer funny

1) twisted forks

2) one fork higher than the other

3) bent axle

4) spent wheel bearings

5) possible bent fork tubes

6) possible blown fork seal

• Member Contributer

Loosen the forks in the triples and the axle pinch bolts, and re-tighten (axle pinch bolts first) them making sure that everything is square. You might want to take the fender off too, as being out of square it is in a bind and may crack. The key will be to measure, measure, measure, and just when you think you are done, measure again to make for posative that everything is true. Have you made sure that the forks are not bent? Might want to check the runout on the tubes.

Loosen the forks in the triples and the axle pinch bolts, and re-tighten (axle pinch bolts first) them making sure that everything is square. You might want to take the fender off too, as being out of square it is in a bind and may crack. The key will be to measure, measure, measure, and just when you think you are done, measure again to make for posative that everything is true. Have you made sure that the forks are not bent? Might want to check the runout on the tubes.

not quite sure how to check, how do i?

• 10 months later...
  • Member Contributer

The quick way, loosen the lower yolk, (triple Tree), bolts. Find something like a gate post/lamp post/corner wall to knock the front tyre (Tire) against to straighten up the steering. To check, carefully ride the bike, slowly because the bottom yolk bolts are still undone, adjust to suit, do up bottom yolk bolts.

The quick way, loosen the lower yolk, (triple Tree), bolts. Find something like a gate post/lamp post/corner wall to knock the front tyre (Tire) against to straighten up the steering. To check, carefully ride the bike, slowly because the bottom yolk bolts are still undone, adjust to suit, do up bottom yolk bolts.

I don't understand how the forks can become "twisted" :pissed:

• Member Contributer

I don't understand how the forks can become "twisted" :ohmy:

The fork legs twist within the triple tree clamps, the lower one becomes slightly twisted about the steering stem. Giving the tyre a bash on the appropriate side can square them up. BTDT. :unsure:

• 2 years later...

I crashed my 02 in July and just replaced the forks yesterday. The front wheel is not straight with the bars, but I have not tried to do what is described in this thread to fix the problem, yet. It was hard to put one of the forks back in, and I am wondering if the lower triple tree could be bent. Any thoughts as to whether I should just replace the upper and lower and be done with it, or try some of these other things? I am just not sure what to do, as this is all new to me.

Archived