Luggage Rack & Backrest

Guest quasi

Guest quasi

Hello everyone.

Yes i've searched. But, i've not really came up with what i'd like to know.

I have a 2000 model that I am looking for a luggage rack with a passenger backrest. My wife and I are planning a long trip this summer but need some form of luggage.

Like hard bags but ruled them out due to cost.

Soft bags seem like they will get in the way and that they aren't user friendly.

Givi tail box would be okay, I guess. But not the best looking when used alone.

So, a nice luggage rack with a backrest will fit the bill. Just strap a duffel bag to it.

Is their such a beast out there?

I am in Ontario. Every dealer, (Zdeno's even) look at me like I have 3 eyes. No one seems to know what i'm talking about.

Anyone have any ideas or information?

Thanks for your help.

Quasi

Yeah. I've seen them on the internet. Where can I get one in Ontario?

Is Dynamohumm still in business? I heard the price was like $500.00.

The Givi tail bag is that much I think.

What are your experiences?

I believe Dynamohumm is out of business.

Check out the Ventura website and enquire about a Canadian distibutor. Likely won't find one in captivity in Ontario, my experience with motorcyle dealers around here is that they don't stock anything practical - just chrome crap for the paint shaker crowd and stick on carbon fibre decals for the 600ss poseurs.

• Member Contributer

I bought mine through California Sport Touring (www.casporttouring.com) and the experience was excellent. Their prices are very competitive and were actually cheaper on the Ventura luggage than the Ventura recommended distributor. I bought a Stebel Nautilus from them as well.

I doubt you will find a better deal than them.

It comes in a reasonably small box; shipping wasn't too bad if I recall correctly.

And I love the Ventura system.

Hope this helps!

• Member Contributer

Sorry to be the voice of dissent that casts doubt on things, but I vote for the Givi Maxia 52 liter topcase.

With a bracket, backrest, and the box itself, you can procure it for only about $465, shipping included.

I have the Givi V46 and ordered from RL motorcycles in Georgia....it came fast and the price was quite good (the shipping is only $10 no matter what Givi product your order!).

The Ventura racks look pretty tantalizing too, because you can seemingly attach wads of stuff to them, but with wind drag, potential rain, etc....I would go with a hard topcase, one that is lockable with a rubber rain gasket. Givi fits the bill.

Good luck, and enjoy that trip! :thumbsup:

• Member Contributer

It's also important to note that the Ventura rack system is NOT designed as a back rest. I was considering them a while back but ruled them out for this very reason. I would definitely contact them to confirm this yourself before investing your money.

• Member Contributer

GIVI...................... :thumbsup:

• Member Contributer

Another option is the elusive Sargent backrest.

original.jpg

I've since added an eBay Givi knock-off trunk to the luggage rack.

• Member Contributer
It's also important to note that the Ventura rack system is NOT designed as a back rest. I was considering them a while back but ruled them out for this very reason. I would definitely contact them to confirm this yourself before investing your money.

That is what I understand also.

I have been running the Ventura system rack to handle overflow storage requirements especially if I am camping on tour. The rack really does stabilize the soft bags nicely and is very easy to take on/off.

med_gallery_2144_2341_894306.jpg

More stuff loaded.

med_gallery_2144_2004_358038.jpg

This is what I finally did to solve the back rest problem. :rolleyes:

2782977610099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

• Member Contributer

I also(before the GIVI boxes) had a Renntec rack and welded a bracket on top of it for a small Cobra backrest pad to bolt on. Wife rode there several times. Vecky5 on here owns it now.............. :thumbsup:

• Member Contributer
I also(before the GIVI boxes) had a Renntec rack and welded a bracket on top of it for a small Cobra backrest pad to bolt on. Wife rode there several times. Vecky5 on here owns it now.............. :thumbsup:

I do and it looks and works great. I can strap a old bag that I have left over from my Magna that used to go over that backrest. I can also take of my Sargent seat with our removing the rack or the back rest. Check the pics.

With the bags.

gallery_4596_827_7476.jpg

At the gap fully loaded.JPG

Without the bags.

gallery_4596_827_13934.jpg

Gap side view no bags.JPG

Still without bags. You can barely see the back pad, but it's on there.

gallery_4596_827_16979.jpg

Gap side no bags 2.JPG

Archived