Axio Tank/tail Bags

Guest VFRFFP

Guest VFRFFP

Thinking about getting a set of silver tank/tail bags from Axio and was wondering if anyone out there has had any experiences with either.

• 1 year later...
  • Member Contributer

Anyone have experience with these? Thinking the blue version would look sharp on a RWB but from the photos the magnet look like they could be a little chinsy.

image-1blue.jpg

image-5.jpg

Now just imagine the bag is blue and the bike is a VFR. Yeah?

image-9.jpg

• Member Contributer

I have the Axio tank bag in flat black. First let me say that like all Axio products it scuffs easily so handle with care and you shouldn't have any problems.

Next is it is HUGE! It covers my entire tank and I have to be careful how far forward I position it or it gets in the way of steering. At the same time it does not get in the way of my chest or shifting into leans. I can put my old tank bag inside of it completely and still have plenty of room for everything else that I have thrown into it. I have yet to max this beast out.

The map cover snaps into place with 4 plastic snaps and is the weakest point of this whole setup. In fact, it is the only real defect I can complain about as everything else is top quality and works pretty darn good. Fortunately this can be easily over come with some strategically placed patches of Velcro at the top and bottom of the map cover.

Do you like pockets? Well, you won't be too disappointed then. It has enough to get things organized without going crazy. And the roomy interior let me pack everything from a spare visor, 2 meals for the work day, small books, head phones, extra layers of clothing (shirts usually), etc and I could still close the zipper without too much fuss.

If you have a full load you can use the folding out shoulder straps and turn it into a small backpack. These straps are not padded nor designed for constant comfortable use but they work if you need them to. The magnets are incredibly strong so make sure there is no debris on them or they will embed it into your paint. The bag has never shifted no matter how full or heavy it has been using the magnets alone. There is the optional tank strap if you have a composite tank but to me it just gets in the way. It rolls into it's own little pocket but from time to time pops out making me stop for a whole minute to roll it back in. No big deal. A zip tie or a rubber band fixes that issue.

I recently switched back to using my smaller tank bag only because I moved a few minutes away from work and so running home for lunch is much easier than packing a large tank bag (and it gives me an excuse to get more riding time wink.gif) but I keep it handy for longer road trips as I can easily put my usual gear plus a couple of water bottles/snacks. All in all it costs a little more than your standard tank bag but so far all the Axio products I have purchased (I also have the Swift and the Swift 2.0) have held up to constant motorcycle abuse quite well so it's money well invested.

I can't speak for the tail pack as I have the Givi side and top cases for that end of the bike. Hope this helps. smile.gif

• Member Contributer

That is a hell of a review. Thanks. I have one in the mail and will report back on the how the blue matches up against the RWB.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

I ended up buying the Axio hard case tank bag in blue for my 07 RWB. Got it two weeks ago and have since put down 2k miles with it and loving it more and more with each ride. A few follow-ups to Vanion2s superb review:

I have the Axio tank bag in flat black. First let me say that like all Axio products it scuffs easily so handle with care and you shouldn't have any problems.

While not a perfect match to the 07 RWB, it's close enough to pass the 20/20 rule (20 feet away or 20 mph). I haven't noticed the same tendency to mar the surface easily but perhaps I'm still new to it.

Next is it is HUGE! It covers my entire tank and I have to be careful how far forward I position it or it gets in the way of steering. At the same time it does not get in the way of my chest or shifting into leans. I can put my old tank bag inside of it completely and still have plenty of room for everything else that I have thrown into it. I have yet to max this beast out.

Definitely large, but not too large. Covers the 6th gen tank perfectly in my experience thus far. You can push it far enough forward where it can pinch your hand when turning full clock but I find that it self-locates very well with the side magnets fully spread without wrapping over the front lines of the tank. Hard to explain but it works.

On the longer trip I had full rain gear, the rain cover, disc lock, spare gloves, extra visor, bottle of water, first aid kit, all trip paperwork, and a laundry list of little junk like house keys, cell phone, gum, ear plugs, etc all with room to spare.

The map cover snaps into place with 4 plastic snaps and is the weakest point of this whole setup. In fact, it is the only real defect I can complain about as everything else is top quality and works pretty darn good. Fortunately this can be easily over come with some strategically placed patches of Velcro at the top and bottom of the map cover.

Agreed. Kind of chinsy but works well enough. I wish it was a half inch wider then it would hold an 8.5 x 11 piece of paper folder in half perfectly. The little compartment below is convenient for your gas card, toll changes, etc. I tucked my ipod nano into the sleeve and found that the clear plastic conveniently allows continued operation of the thumb wheel for volume control and such. Bonus.

Do you like pockets? Well, you won't be too disappointed then. It has enough to get things organized without going crazy. And the roomy interior let me pack everything from a spare visor, 2 meals for the work day, small books, head phones, extra layers of clothing (shirts usually), etc and I could still close the zipper without too much fuss.

Yep. Same as above. However, the top piece has side 'flaps' which velcro/snap down to the inside of the bottom half limiting the opening to about 45 degree which makes getting to the pockets and organizers section difficult when fully loaded and on the bike. Thinking about it more though, I'm not sure of the purpose of those little flaps. Perhaps just to keep the lid from flipping open and dumping your gear everywhere if you mistakenly pick up the bag by the grab handle when not zippered.

If you have a full load you can use the folding out shoulder straps and turn it into a small backpack. These straps are not padded nor designed for constant comfortable use but they work if you need them to. The magnets are incredibly strong so make sure there is no debris on them or they will embed it into your paint. The bag has never shifted no matter how full or heavy it has been using the magnets alone. There is the optional tank strap if you have a composite tank but to me it just gets in the way. It rolls into it's own little pocket but from time to time pops out making me stop for a whole minute to roll it back in. No big deal. A zip tie or a rubber band fixes that issue.

Backpack straps. Meh. Ditch em. If you're absolutely interested to use this as a backpack go over to REI or EMS and buy some of those nylon straps and fab your own.

The safety strap is ok. Functional which is about as much you need from it. Convenient when fueling to keep a hold of the bag when you sling it to the side to access the fuel cap. Otherwise a pain to put on and off and not necessary. Bag never moved once on me.

That's all I got. All-in-all I am very happy with this tank bag and would recommend it to anyone.

It's a long story... which I won't get into.... but the end result is I'll be receiving Two tail bags shortly 3/5 days..... what I'm trying to accomplish is to have one that is connected by straps that will fit under the seat-pan, and will hold at least my full coverage rainsuit, + bike cover(Geza),Camera,chain spray. These links will show what I have coming....... (1) Axio tailbag (silver)......... http://www.kneedraggers.com/list/1289 (2) Held Speedy Rear Seat Bag (black)......... http://www.ridesafer.com/Held_Speedy_Rear_...ag_p/4532-2.htm

I'm thinking the Axio might be a little big, and I'm hoping the Held is the right size. Report to follow after I receive them......Monk

Ok,folks..... You pip's that are interested in the Axio tail bag.......... I just got it in today.... It's silver, Lighter than my bike(probably closer to earlier silver vfr's)...... It's not as big as I was feared it would be, it's a real nice fit on my Sergent Saddle, the straps are locktape that goes under the seatpan, and the seat clicks on installed, no sweat. Stays tight....... Neg; for me, is I still can't fit my full rain suit in it. Pos; It does have 3 inner pockets (that also collapse against the top if empty) and will hold about the same as a medium tank bag; It's well made....... Now to wait for my soft tailbag to come in.....So here's some pic's........... Monk

gallery_16535_4484_1069349.jpg

DSC00117.JPG

gallery_16535_4484_99127.jpg

DSC00118.JPG

gallery_16535_4484_2687511.jpg

DSC00119.JPG

gallery_16535_4484_2437103.jpg

DSC00120.JPG

gallery_16535_4484_1803588.jpg

DSC00123.JPG

gallery_16535_4484_701309.jpg

DSC00122.JPG

gallery_16535_4484_2358261.jpg

DSC00121.JPG

• Member Contributer
Ok,folks..... You pip's that are interested in the Axio tail bag.......... I just got it in today.... It's silver, Lighter than my bike(probably closer to earlier silver vfr's)...... It's not as big as I was feared it would be, it's a real nice fit on my Sergent Saddle, the straps are locktape that goes under the seatpan, and the seat clicks on installed, no sweat. Stays tight....... Neg; for me, is I still can't fit my full rain suit in it. Pos; It does have 3 inner pockets (that also collapse against the top if empty) and will hold about the same as a medium tank bag; It's well made....... Now to wait for my soft tailbag to come in.....So here's some pic's........... Monk

DSC00121.JPG

Yes, it's a lighter shade of grey, but still, it looks great on the back of your bike. That's not the original windscreen is it? I don't see it mentioned in your mod list.

Yes, it's a lighter shade of grey, but still, it looks great on the back of your bike. That's not the original windscreen is it? I don't see it mentioned in your mod list.

It's the stock screen with the "Laminar Lip"....... Thx for the cue-does on the colour........ Here's a close-up of the lip......Monk

gallery_16535_4484_2246282.jpg

DSC00079.JPG

gallery_16535_4484_114315.jpg

DSC00080.JPG

I might be a bit biased, but dam Monk that's a good looking bike. :cool:

We do have good taste in colour, don't we?...... Monk

• 1 month later...

Having waited a month and a half(back order), for a tail bag that would be big enough to hold my full body rain suit. I opted for the hard shell one I now have on my bike. As it turned out it wasn't big enough to do the job. So as of today I finally received the soft shell tail bag.Both of these bags mount with "flat" straps that go under the seat without touching the plastics. Even though the hard shell wasn't big enough for the suit, I've grown to like it for other reasons(zippered compartments in the top), and a lot of complements on the looks of it(gota like that).

Well the new soft one is a "Held Speedy Rear Seat Bag".I took some pic's of it installed so you can get an idea of size, and how the straps work. The bag is made of waterproof cloth(did the suck test) with the exception of the zipper part, but it has a built in rain cover "attached". Along with that it also expands to hold more stuff (as George Carlin say's you gotta have stuff). The good thing is that it's big enough to hold my rain suit without having to even expand it, and still have room to put more stuff(camera;gps). I miss not having the compartments though. Also the underside has the non-slip/scratch padding.

DSC00121.JPG

gallery_16535_4484_701309.jpg

DSC00122.JPG

gallery_16535_4484_2729528.jpg

DSC00169.JPG

gallery_16535_4484_3663648.jpg

DSC00168.JPG

gallery_16535_4484_1169634.jpg

DSC00165.JPG

gallery_16535_4484_1560235.jpg

DSC00164.JPG

gallery_16535_4484_296434.jpg

DSC00173.JPG

gallery_16535_4484_528588.jpg

DSC00172.JPG

gallery_16535_4484_1734128.jpg

DSC00171.JPG

Just got the Axio Tail bag in Silver and it matches up pretty well with the 03 Force Silver paint. Only had it out for about 3 rides thus far. Cost more than say the cortech but i figured i would want a bag that i really like how it looks on the bike so that i would actually leave it on for a change (i constantly take the tank bag off)

Holds a tire patch kit, shoei visor, contact stuff (extras, solution, case etc), Zip ties, tire guage, bungies, deodorant (i dont care how many perforations your leather has i still sweat like a fat chick jogging on stackers), gps, wallet, phone, spare phone (even if a phone is deactivated it can still be used to call 911 if it catches a tower signal), some plastic bags, and gloves.

With all that its pretty much full but that is my regular riding stuff. after that i would just bungie a bag over the top of it if i was going somewhere i needed clothes.

Stays put when riding, zippers seem pretty good quality, one of the zipper pouches is lined for electronics (felt-like). All in all i am happy with the purchase. Kinda wish Axio made saddle bags so i could get a partial hard case that looked good without the $1k price tag of OEMs. I'll try to snap some pics if i ever shake my laziness of this beautiful day.

• Member Contributer

You should be able to pick up side cases with brackets for about $600 or so. You could try the Givi V35's for an OEM look or the David Spares site across the pond for the OEM kit. Either way you can't go wrong.

As for Axio products, I have yet to be disappointed in any of the ones I have purchased. Good quality that always seems to attract compliments. Not a bad combination. wink.gif

You should be able to pick up side cases with brackets for about $600 or so. You could try the Givi V35's for an OEM look or the David Spares site across the pond for the OEM kit. Either way you can't go wrong.

As for Axio products, I have yet to be disappointed in any of the ones I have purchased. Good quality that always seems to attract compliments. Not a bad combination. wink.gif

whereabouts is this?

• Member Contributer

Monk - Off topic, but how do you like your Laminar Lip, does it make a positive difference, and would you recommend it? Thanks!

• Member Contributer
whereabouts is this?

V35 Side Cases

PLX166 Case mount

David Silver Spares OEM Cases + Mount

You will have to contact David Silver Spares for different color options as they sell them on an inventory basis but for $365 + shipping to the US you can see that this is definitely not $1000. wink.gif

Monk - Off topic, but how do you like your Laminar Lip, does it make a positive difference, and would you recommend it? Thanks!

Knife.... I like mine..... What I found it does, is defuse the one big wave of air coming over and around the stock WS. Also it moves the air up so it's not hitting my neck(noise) and puts it on my helmet about eye level. So it's less noisy/buggy/pressure..... I'm 6'0"........ I would say you might concider the taller one, I don't know but it might get the bugs over the helmet visor.......

For those interested in this bag.... I finally took a shoot of the inside.... In the top two pockets I keep my GPS/Camera/Electric tyre pump(Slime), just to give you an idea what size stuff it holds.... The bottom part holds my light rain jacket/Gator's with boot tips/gun-type tyre plugger, and a 3 liter water bottle(bag)......gallery_16535_4484_709528.jpg

DSC00178.JPG

• Member Contributer

I'll have to get around to posting pics of mine on my RWB. I have the blue axio tail bag and I keep it on the bike to hold my rain gear, jacket liner and Glock on my daily ride to work and back and it works wonderful. The color is not an exact match for the blue on the RWB, but it is close enough nobody ever notices unless I mention it. I'll just add one more vote for this tail bag. Hopefully I will soon get the tank bag and see how they work as a team.

Now I just need them to make a matching set of soft/hard luggage (think cortec setup, but with the axio hard plastic)

George

Archived