Rear Pre-load Adjuster Question

Outrage

Hey guys,

I got my ABS equipped bike used and haven’t messed with the rear pre-load yet because the handling has been just fine so far.

Although I’ve been riding for many years now, I am hesitant to mess with suspension settings. After riding for a few weeks, I finally gave my girlfriend a ride but the front end felt really light.

According to the service manual, the adjustable range is 35-40 clicks and standard position is 7 clicks from hard. With my girl on the back, I assume I’d increase preload but will 7 clicks many a discernable difference? I read on this board that this bike is set up for a 160lb rider. Are there only 7 clicks for more weight? Am I adjusting the wrong way?

BTW, I weigh 155-160 and she is 130.

Thanks

Hi there and congrats on the ABS bike! :thumbsup:

Yes, you would want to increase rear spring preload when adding extra weight( turning in CW) to a firmer setting. It is surprising that stock is only 7 clicks from full hard when theres a total of 35 or more. I would think 7 from full soft would be a better factory setting so you would end up with a bigger range of adjustment as most people will weigh more and adding luggage of passengers.

Having the extra weight on the rear (w/passenger) will tend to unload the front some, I would suggest just to go full stiff/hard next time you take the g/f out and see what that feels like. i doubt if you can be too hard with 290 lbs on the bike! :goofy:

Let us know how it works out! :thumbsup:

i weigh around 200 lbs, i seem to like the suspension turned in about 1/3 of the way. stick your head up under the bike and look at the adjustment dial, there's a gauge that shows how far you've adjusted things. with loaded bags and me, this seems to work for a nice smooth ride and maintains the balance in handling.

experiment with a few short rides, you'll easily find the happy medium.

I would suggest just to go full stiff/hard next time you take the g/f out and see what that feels like.

Now thats some good advice :goofy:

I can forward you lots of emails that supposedly can remedy this for you.

Congrats on the bike & welcome to the madness

• Member Contributer
According to the service manual, the adjustable range is 35-40 clicks and standard position is 7 clicks from hard. With my girl on the back, I assume I’d increase preload but will 7 clicks many a discernable difference? I read on this board that this bike is set up for a 160lb rider. Are there only 7 clicks for more weight? Am I adjusting the wrong way?

Re-read that a few more times, I'm sure it says too dial it out all the way then turn it in 7 clicks for the stock setup. So thats actualy 7 clicks in from the softest setting. I'm not sure where mine is right now. I posted a question about this few days ago, because if I understand pre-loads right, you need to set the sag on the rear when you sit on it.

HI would suggest just to go full stiff/hard next time you take the g/f out and see what that feels like.

Let us know how it works out! :thumbsup:

I'm sure the vibrations get her going!

So the lower clicks are for guys under 90 lbs???

• Member Contributer

There should be a tick mark on the underside of the adjuster or adjacent sleeve that indicates the stock setting, should you ever want to return to it...

Hey guys,

I got my ABS equipped bike used and haven’t messed with the rear pre-load yet because the handling has been just fine so far.

Although I’ve been riding for many years now, I am hesitant to mess with suspension settings. After riding for a few weeks, I finally gave my girlfriend a ride but the front end felt really light.

BTW, I weigh 155-160 and she is 130.

Thanks

I'm 140. Wife 100.

Rear preload is 15-17 clicks from full soft.

Archived