Someone Spend My Money!

Guest Stegen

Guest Stegen

So after looking and looking and looking, there is way to many types of luggage to get. I want Givi but they have sooooo many different types that I dont know what to get. I need someones assistance. I want to get a set of side bags, top case and backrest for my 2003 VFR. I dont want a huge set but I also dont want small. Colors I dont care about, nor the brake light. looking to get as cheap as possible but want hard bags (duh). if someone could type up what to get when it comes to racks and bags it would be SUPER appreciated.!!! Thank you!!

• Member Contributer

If you are not picky about the color you might want to give these guys a call or email them for factory Honda bags at a good price! I feel pretty sure that the sidebags and topcase include mounting hardware but you might want to double check.

Looks to be about $694 US for the set!

David Silver Spares

Nothing looks better than the OEM Honda Bags. Otherwise I would get Givi Keyless the big boys.....kinda look wide from the rear but are very nice and functional!

I use the 21 liter sidebags w/ a 45 liter top case with a backrest. Depends on your needs.

Same setup here. Great for commuting and long trips but not too wide all mounted to the Wingrack2.

Check various other websites/forums, maybe ebay, for good used stuff.

These are the Givi v35 with plx166 fitment kit. I really like them.

If you want more detailed pictures of the mounting I have them just let me know.

gallery_9729_2908_89658.jpg

DSC00068.JPG

gallery_9729_2908_83266.jpg

DSC00069.JPG

If you are not picky about the color you might want to give these guys a call or email them for factory Honda bags at a good price! I feel pretty sure that the sidebags and topcase include mounting hardware but you might want to double check.

David Silver Spares

K with that it says American canadian 50 models. Is that just the color scheme of the bags or is there a actual physical difference? how much do you think these would cost to ship?

The Givi Bags, look pretty similar to the Honda bags (mine painted a matte black)...

SmokewoTrunk.jpg

If you're looking to swap from having a trunk to not having a trunk and throwing a backrest on only, I'd highly recommend the SW Motech Trunk Rack from Twisted Throttle (pictured). I've been using mine now for close to 2 years and it works well. They just came out with a new adapter plate that works incredibly better than the old plate. The beauty of this setup is that it only takes 3 quick pins to remove the ugly adapter plate... pretty quick and dirty.

I run a Givi E460 as a trunk, and it's a bit big and gets affected by wind at highway speeds, and I'm pretty sure it costs me some mileage, but it definitely gives you plenty of room and/or lockable storage when running errands around town...

SmokewTrunk.jpg

The ones from davids site are $694 or what not. But what is shipping? they dont tell you till you put in your credit card info. any clue on how to figure it out before purchase? zip is 60169

• Member Contributer

David Silver Spares

K with that it says American canadian 50 models. Is that just the color scheme of the bags or is there a actual physical difference? how much do you think these would cost to ship?

The european versions do not have reflectors on the sidebags or mounting brackets but the American models do. Just email DSS with a bunch of questions and they will gladly send you an answer. Several of us have ordered bags from them.

• 5 months later...
  • Member Contributer

From my personal experence, stay away from Corbin. Their fit is poor, and quality exceedingly low for the price.

They do not have a customer service department, and admit in thier ads that they can't match color.

That should have been a warning to me.

Mac

The ones from davids site are $694 or what not. But what is shipping? they dont tell you till you put in your credit card info. any clue on how to figure it out before purchase? zip is 60169

Check their handy-dandy shipping guide:

http://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk/ship.html

• 1 month later...

I PURCHASED A SET OF OEM BAGS FROM THEM YESTERDAY AND AS FAR AS I CAN TELL THE SHIPPING (IN MY OPINION) IS CRAZY!!! IT WAS 400 SOMETHING FOR THE BAGS.....WHICH IS GREAT! BUT THE SHIPPING TO OREGON WAS 200.00 U.S. I COULDN'T BELIEVE IT COSTS HALF THE TOTAL TO SHIP! LASTLY....YES, ITS STILL CHEAPER THAN GOING TO THE DEALER BUT I AM STILL THINKING....WHAT THE HELL! I WROTE THEM TODAY AND THEY SAID...WELL UPS DETERMINES THAT COST. SO IT WAS BASICALLY A BRUSH OFF ON WHY IT WAS SO MUCH TO SHIP. HOPE THAT HELPS. LOOK TO SPEND AROUND 200 SOMETHING TO SHIP THEM.

• Member Contributer

This is a hijacking.

Anyone have an opinion on doing up a set of side cases like what's shown?

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/imagecatalo...image/list/792/

I wouldn't use those exact cases but the idea is the same; get some nice waterproof cases like the Pelican jobs shown, orient them against SW Motech quick disconnect side racks, and bolt them to each other through the back of the case. The whole thing could be done for about $450 sans liners, which would be another custom job, but they should work pretty well for clothes or other odds and ends. To that I've been thinking of mixing in a Krauser K-Wing top case mount and one of their top cases.

• Member Contributer
These are the Givi v35 with plx166 fitment kit. I really like them.

If you want more detailed pictures of the mounting I have them just let me know.

gallery_9729_2908_89658.jpg

DSC00068.JPG

:squid:

I would buy these before I would buy the OEM bags.

Take a look around the twisted throttle site.

I had to ride my VTEC with the OEM hardbags of a friend of mine one morning, didn't have to go far, but jeeez how they stick out the sides. It's like three bikes riding side by side bolted to each other. Can't lane split or make any sudden moves in tight spots without risking taking them out. I prefer a top-box with something bungie-strapped onto the pillion section of the seat (if your riding solo), unless of course you really need the space. It's much more aerodynamic and manoeuverable.

Whatever you go with, try to get the "thinnest" overall effect. Oh yeah, I was checking out Givi bags, and discovered they have a second's line called Kappa, the fittings are compatible with Givi and the prices are considerably lower, yet the features and quality are "virtually" as good.

Just my 2 cents worth

Archived