Electrical Yet Again!

Poncho

While at the TexasMac meet Chris noticed my bike was making an odd noise. After looking around we found it was coming from the battery. When I got home I checked the voltage on the battery at 5000 rpm, it was over 16V.

So I order up a new R/R at the great deal of $203 ( I don't want to talk about it :unsure: ) and started to check for any damaged to the wires. most were ok but the connector from the starter relay.

IMG_0709.jpg

IMG_0710.jpg

I have not seen any posts on this connecter so i thought I would let everyone know ( if there was just forget i said anything )

Next a little trip to the dealer to see if I can get a new connector which would help to make this an easy fix..... no no no! I am told, I need to buy a whole new harness can not order just that part and that will be around $500.

I told him, " hey why don't we just through away the bike after the tire wear out or better yet after every tank of gas" What I load of $hit.

I guess my luck has run out as far as electrical problems with my bike and now the fun of fixing it.

Guys keep an eye on the Voltage on your bike, if you R/R goes I think it is the start of most of the problems with our sad under sized wires.

More Voltage means more current = too much heat.

Not sure why they can build a system in which the fuses do not blow. The fuse is suppose to protect this from happening.

Has anyone tried putting a 25 amp fuse in?

Hmm looks to me like you was overcharging for a long long time. Even replacing your R/R might not fix the problem. I would almost bet you had the same charging problem I did. Refer to : Link to overcharging post : for more info. If that connector will physically fit back in the connector, I would just replace the wiring in that section, and plastic weld the open part of the connector back together and plug it back in. Rather then to spend 500 on a new harness I would rebuild my own. Once you find the result to your problem make sure and post it in the Vtec electrical problems post found here:

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.p...p;hl=electrical

• Member Contributer

+1 on Jason's points. At 16 volts I would put money on the problem not being the R/R, but the monitor wire voltage. Replace the 30 amp fuse as detailed in the linked post, and check the voltage on your monitor wire; if it is below battery voltage, there are instructions in that thread on how to fix this problem as well.

See if you can cancel that R/R coming.

• Member Contributer

My gawd! You weren't kidding. What's your vin.#? We had discussed corrosion, causing a larger amp draw, but that's obsurd. Gotta go with Jason, and Jeremy, on this. Think they have it pinned.

Here's Ken's topic, I was tell'n 'ya 'bout,.... http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.p...c=31003&hl=

Gratis parts in the mail tomorrow am for you Poncho. I'd seriously upgrade your 30 amp fuse wiring as well. I have a fusible link I'll also send you to use. Get it done before it goes up in smoke!!!

CHeers!

Archived