Stock Suspension Adjustment

Guest dryden

Guest dryden

I am trying to find out the ins and outs of adjusting the stock suspension. My first question: How do you know when you've reached the limits of the front fork adjustments? Does it have a limiter or does it just keep turning? Second, how do you get the spanner wrench on the rear shock? I can't seem to get it on and secured enough to make any adjustments. Thanks. John

• Member Contributer

As for the Front Pre-load it will stop when you run out of adjustment (at least it supposed to) but a good judge is when the adjuster nut is just about flush withe nut it sits in then your just about done. As for the rear it just a pain to get the spanner wrench in there don't have any good tips for that. You are using the extended handle that comes with it right? You won't be able to turn it without adding that handle to the wrench. See us ABS folks get the cool remote adjuster for the rear preload smile.gif There is dampning on the rear shock that can be set as well.

the 07's dont have the rear shock adjuster they only have the chain tension adjuster so it wont fit at all. i just ordered a shock wrench (pin spanner) from bike bandit it cost me $17 shipped if you want one look under the tools for an 05 it should be there.

the 07's dont have the rear shock adjuster they only have the chain tension adjuster so it wont fit at all. i just ordered a shock wrench (pin spanner) from bike bandit it cost me $17 shipped if you want one look under the tools for an 05 it should be there.

Got mine in a couple of days ago and the adjustment took 2 seconds on the center stand best $17 i spent on the bike so far

• Member Contributer

Anyone seen a guideline chart for VFR setups? My kid brother has one for his CBR600 in the service manual he has for it, just a basic starting point setup based on rider weight

• 1 month later...
Anyone seen a guideline chart for VFR setups? My kid brother has one for his CBR600 in the service manual he has for it, just a basic starting point setup based on rider weight

With bone stock suspension and Bridgestone BT-014 tires at 34f/38r air pressure, I've found the following works good in the twisties for me:

The stock front spring rate too soft for my 230 lbs. My sag is around 40mm with the preload all the way in.

30mm sag in the rear the preload is at the fifth notch. I run half a turn from full hard on the rebound.

Whatever your best settings will be depend on what you want the bike set up for and all the other variables like tires, your weight, how agressive you ride, etc. My settings above are a bit firm on the street yet are still a little too soft when draging pegs.

With bone stock suspension and Bridgestone BT-014 tires at 34f/38r air pressure, I've found the following works good in the twisties for me:

The stock front spring rate too soft for my 230 lbs. My sag is around 40mm with the preload all the way in.

30mm sag in the rear the preload is at the fifth notch. I run half a turn from full hard on the rebound.

Whatever your best settings will be depend on what you want the bike set up for and all the other variables like tires, your weight, how agressive you ride, etc. My settings above are a bit firm on the street yet are still a little too soft when draging pegs.

These really aren't bad numbers considering! :thumbsup: 35/30 f/r isn't bad for street riding. :thumbsup:

I went to the Sport Rider Magazine site where they have recommended settings for many, many bikes including the VFR. I set sag as documented elsewhere on the site, used their recommendations as a starting point and ultimately kept the rebound as they suggested and set compression a little firmer all around (185lbs. rider) and everything is just about perfect...the real kicker was getting the rebound right.

kept the rebound as they suggested and set compression a little firmer all around (185lbs. rider) and everything is just about perfect...the real kicker was getting the rebound right.

Man, how did you get comp. adjustments on your VFR ? :wub:

:goofy:

• Member Contributer

These really aren't bad numbers considering! :thumbsup: 35/30 f/r isn't bad for street riding. :thumbsup:

Do you mean 35/40 f/r? I thought the rear got more, except maybe at the track?

[quote name='CrazyInNYC' date='Jun 28 2007, 05:14 PM' post='407202'

Do you mean 35/40 f/r? I thought the rear got more, except maybe at the track?

No, the front will almost always have more especially for the street, maybe even at the track depending... :wub:

• 4 weeks later...

There seems to be some confusion here between suspension preload and tyre pressure. Recommended tyre pressure is 36F/42R, whereas preload is (for example) 35F/30R.

I actually run my tyres at 38F/38-40R, but that's because the front Azaro has very soft sidewalls.

• 1 month later...

Been trying to adjust my rear suspension to firm it up and am having some trouble. Came across this thread, thought I would ask a few questions. I have an 06, and the little tool kit has the adjuster wrench for the chain tension and the extention for it. Is this also what I use for the rear suspension preload? From what you say above, it dosen't sound like it, but the "pin spanner" wrench (#6) on bike bandit 05 vfr tools looks exactly the same as what I have and it won't work on the rear pre-load. Do I really need the wrench #7 (pin wrench) on the bike bandit site, or am I supposed to use what I have, and I'm just doing it wrong? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Member Contributer
Baileyrock: Why does the Honda tag recommend 36/42 f/r? Please shed some light on this?

A little candle light,......Honda figures your riding on the street and that you're 5'-5" 150 lbs. Don't forget the 10% rule, either.

I bought a new '06 last week and noticed it was pretty bumpy on one section of my morning commute. So I researched this site and found information about setting sag and rear rebound. Thanks to the site owners and folks that post here for providing great information.

The owners manual says to increase preload for bumpy roads. This is counter-intuitive but that's the way suspensions work, you have to do the opposite of what you think.

Here are the changes I made:

front preload:

There is a scroll mark on the adjuster, I received the bike new with only 8 miles on the odo and the adjustment was 3 turns out from the scroll mark. In other words, I turned the adjuster 3 full turns CW and the scroll mark aligned with the post, then I backed it out to the stock setting. Front sag measured approx 1.75 inches. I saw a couple postings on this site that mentioned 32 & 35mm sag. I used 35mm which converted to 1-3/8 inches. I turned the preload adjuster 1.5 turns CW to increase the preload and now it measured 1-3/8in.

rear preload:

I have ABS so it's really easy to change the preload. Owners manual says to back out the adjuster full soft, then tighten 7 clicks (3.5 turns). I did that and the sag was approx 1.75 inches. I increased preload another 5 clicks (2.5 turns) and now the rear sag is approx 1-3/8in.

rear rebound:

stock is 1.5 turns off full hard. I set it to .75.

It was like riding a different bike on the bumpy section of roadway today. Wasn't as harsh and much easier to handle. The handling of the bike improved as well. I'm anxious to get it out on some twisties since I've made the changes.

Archived