Old Tire

hardt21

• Member Contributer

I am currently running a sportmax on the front of the viffer. I looked at the time stamp and unless it was made in 2008 it is nearly 10 years old. Is this safe? There is plenty of tread left and hasn't given me any problems so far. But as far as safety goes......

• Member Contributer

Look for signs of dry rot...But if anything there is probably some squaring going on..Ten years? Wow....How many miles is the question I have.

• Member Contributer

If it is actually that old, the compound should be the hardness of wood....not good. I bought a CBR929RR that only had 1600 miles on it, but was 5 years old(belonged to Honda shop owners son)and sat indoors.....had to put new tires on because of the "hardened" rubber................ :unsure:

• Member Contributer
I am currently running a sportmax on the front of the viffer. I looked at the time stamp and unless it was made in 2008 it is nearly 10 years old. Is this safe? There is plenty of tread left and hasn't given me any problems so far. But as far as safety goes......

I would definitely get a new set. Two things you should never skimp on: protective gear and tires. As pointed out, the improvements in tire technology alone are worth it. You really don't want to be leaned over in a turn and find out that these tires weren't in good shape after all. +1.gif

• Member Contributer

Replace them!

I bought my bike from afar, and the seller said there was plenty of tread. He didn't tell me they were 6 years old. They were definitely like wood. Running a fingernail along them would leave brown marks. I replaced them ASAP.

I have a habit of replacing mine every other season, even if there is still tread left. For the confidence, the cost it easily worth it.

• Member Contributer

Wow....I'll replace them. I have been scared to run hard on the front tire. I replaced the back with a Qualifier last season. My nails do leave a brown mark. What should it leave when marked?

• Member Contributer

I don't think they shouldn't leave any mark. *runs out to the garage to check current tires* They just have scuff marks from my fingernail. I just think it's funny that when they get as hard as wood, they leave marks the color of wood... +1.gif

As they age, the good stuff that makes them pliable and sticky goes bye-bye. Think of how well an old rubber band works.

I did actually do one twisty ride on the old tires that were on my bike. After sliding the front end through the turns, I had enough!

• Member Contributer

As a personal rule, I get rid of any tires that are over 4 years old. I just dont trust them after that. The only old tires I have are on my lawnmower.

• 2 weeks later...
Think of how well an old rubber band works.

I like that analogy, and I think it's unanimous. New tires for you. :thumbsup:

Archived