What You Ce

Dutchy

• Member Contributer

Promted by Superchode's topic on backprotectors, I checked the protection in my gear.

If you -like I did- was under the assumption that the "CE mark" sewn inside

HPIM3956.jpg

in itself means that your gear has protectors in line with the CE "NEN-EN 1621-1 (or -2) norm", you are wrong.

Always read the small print eh?

The knee protectors in my leathers are in fact CE 1621-1 compliant, but the ones at the hips are nothing more that some very squishy, open cell foam... :blink:

HPIM3954.jpg

So of the dealership to pick up a proper set right??? Well..... no. They stock all the fancy Dainnese gear, including the protector "under" garments. But just norm compliant inserts??? Naaaahhhh...

Luckily -for me- the dealer recently took over the BMW dealerhip and relocated it accross the road from his shop. And what did boring BMW have in stock???

HPIM3946.jpg

It carries the Id tag 1621-1 (1621-2 is for backprotectors), albeit in conformance to the 1995 rendition of the norm. There has since been a revision in 1996 and 1998. But everything is better than the open foam I reckon.

HPIM3950.jpg

In this shot you see the clear difference to the open foam and can see why this is better in absorbing/spreading impact energy.

HPIM3951.jpg

Same story with my jacket; shoulder and elbow protectors are 1621-1 compliant, the backprotector is simple open cell foam. But I wear a separate KNOX backprotector, I I'll leave that one as is.

Ninja Turtle alert!!!! :P

HPIM3957.jpg

(The bottom bit was a bit too long so I neutered the turtle somewhat, hence the ragged edge...) :goofy:

• Member Contributer

Kinda' like most things in life, huh, Dutchy.......................... :goofy:

• Member Contributer

i once read somewhere that a manufacturer is allowed to advertise "CE" aproved armor as long as ONE piece is CE aproved. It doesnt all have to be aproved. Alpine stars is the same way. Knee, shoulder and elbows are CE, the hips and back protector are not. But i bought the CE back protector. And the Hip armor did its job in the lowside i had, so i guess it works too!

I just checked my Diainese jacket and pants, all the inserted armour bits in shins/knees/forearms/shoulders are marked CE EN 1621.1/97. My back protector is a Clover and is marked CE EN 1621.1/95.

Cheers

AB

Archived