Craddle For Garmin Quest

bsujanto

Both RAM and Garmin make motorcycle craddle for Garmin Quest.

RAM's design looks more secure as it has a tab on top of the GPS device. Securing it against incidental dismounting due to severe shock. On the other side, the power and voice interface looks thick and awkward.

Garmin's design looks simple. The power and voice interface is integrated. Does anybody know if it has good locking mechanism to keep the GPS device in place? From the picture, it looks just like its car version craddle which IMO doesn't have good enough lock for motorcycle use.

• Member Contributer

RAM's design looks more secure as it has a tab on top of the GPS device. Securing it against incidental dismounting due to severe shock. On the other side, the power and voice interface looks thick and awkward.

Garmin's design looks simple. The power and voice interface is integrated. Does anybody know if it has good locking mechanism to keep the GPS device in place? From the picture, it looks just like its car version craddle which IMO doesn't have good enough lock for motorcycle use.

The Garmin powered cradle does have a positive locking mechanism on it.

Take a look at the back of your Quest. See the two holes on the left side, ccenter near the edge?

There are two pins on the cradle that insert into those hole by actuating a lever on the cradle.

I've used one for the last three years with no problems on my ST1300.

• Member Contributer

If you are intersted, I have all the Garmin Quest mounting components and a Lobster mount to hold it.. The locking mecahnism works very well and holds the unit without problems. Also have an AC QUest adapter - if interested I willl sell all to you for a good price.

I use the Garmin holder for my Streetpilot 2610 and just like veefer02 has said, it has a postiive locking mechanism and also has a tamperproof screw you tighten down with the included special screwdriver that serves as a lock of sorts. I still wouldn't leave it out in the open for very long, but for the quick stop to hit the can or something, should be cool.

Not sure the quest setup has the locking screw, does it?

• Member Contributer

I've used the garmin cradle attached to a RAM mount for two years. The locking mechanism on the cradle has never failed me, even when I was back in Queens NY last year motocrossing the VFR through and around the potholes. :thumbsup:

Guys,

Thanks for all the info. I guess I go with Garmin motorcycle craddle + RAM Mount

Norman,

Thanks for the info and offer. I'm too far away in Singapore. I don't think it's practical buying from you.

• Member Contributer

I have both cradles, the Garmin one is much better. It has a lever that moves 2 steel pins into the back of the quest to lock it securely in place.

p2270136.jpg

• Member Contributer
If you are intersted, I have all the Garmin Quest mounting components and a Lobster mount to hold it.. The locking mecahnism works very well and holds the unit without problems. Also have an AC QUest adapter - if interested I willl sell all to you for a good price.

Since bsujanto didn't want it, I sent you a PM...

Guest Wingspan

I've got both cradles as well. I use the garmin powered mount on the VFR and a RAM mount on my aprilia. Both hold the GPS securely. The advantange to the Garmin mount is the power and sound.

Archived