Unusual Front Tire Wear......

johnmark101

• Member Contributer

My front tire (Pilot Power) has worn much faster on the right side than on the left. I have had several sets of this tire and have never seen this. However the rear tire is wearing evenly. The bike rides and handles just fine and I have not noticed anything unusual or different in the way the bike behaves. Steering head bearings feel tight with no play or abnormal noise. No vibrations at high speed either. I don't favor right turns over lefts. Tire is not cupped.

Anyone else ever see this sort of front tire wear?? My guess is something went wrong during the cureing process when the tire was manufactured.

• Member Contributer
have you been turning to the right harder than the left? and more often?

I asked myself that question, but I honestly do not feel as though I turn to one side or the other, harder or more often.

• Member Contributer
I asked myself that question, but I honestly do not feel as though I turn to one side or the other, harder or more often.

How about braking while leaned over? Do you do it more to the one side?

You probably won't be able to figure it all out for certain until you run another set of tires and see if the situation happens again or not.

• Member Contributer

Are you on the same roads for most of your riding? If you commute and you take the same route all the time then perhaps that is where the uneven tire wear is coming in (if the roads are "crowned" perhaps). But why the rear is wearing even...hmmm...

How is your tire pressure?

Is the right side of your body heavier than the left??? :unsure:

• Member Contributer
My front tire (Pilot Power) has worn much faster on the right side than on the left. I have had several sets of this tire and have never seen this. However the rear tire is wearing evenly. The bike rides and handles just fine and I have not noticed anything unusual or different in the way the bike behaves. Steering head bearings feel tight with no play or abnormal noise. No vibrations at high speed either. I don't favor right turns over lefts. Tire is not cupped.

Anyone else ever see this sort of front tire wear?? My guess is something went wrong during the cureing process when the tire was manufactured.

Got a pic of the uneven wear pattern???

• Member Contributer

I had my Dunlop 208's do that to me (they are notorious for that). Check your tire pressure. All else fails you may have just got the bum tire off the line.

I experience similar tire wear.

75% canyon/25%slab.

The original metzler mz4 was more noticeable cuz i don't think i was very diligent on tire pressure checking.

I replaced them w/ Michilin Pilot Powers twice. With very diligent pressure checking, the right side of the front wears more quickly then the left side, even though the rear tires would indicate that I have a more aggressive lean while turning left (if chicken strips are a legit means of estimating lean angle).

I'm more comfortable in left turns & I wonder if I'm trying to turn the bars into the turn too soon after the initial push to initiate the turn.

the metzler was the worst at cupping but the Michilin PP also showed evidence of cupping. I replaced the Metzler and the first set of Michilin PP at 6K miles. the second set of Michilin PP are approaching 6k miles and are not long for this world.

Archived