What If Your A Lightweight

Guest Tori

So, im in the garage tonite trying to set my sag, the most i can get out of my rear is 19 MM. ( I weigh about 130 lbs in leathers and helmet. Aside from changing my rear spring,..... are there any other tricks ?

(YES, i have the spring preload at its lightest setting.) I can get the fronts to 35mm. But nothing more.

• Member Contributer
So, im in the garage tonite trying to set my sag, the most i can get out of my rear is 19 MM. ( I weigh about 130 lbs in leathers and helmet. Aside from changing my rear spring,..... are there any other tricks ?

(YES, i have the spring preload at its lightest setting.) I can get the fronts to 35mm. But nothing more.

35 in front is a reasonable preload. I don't think there is anything you can do without replacing the spring...... unless you can fab some extension for the spring mount on yout current shock. Then again, buying a replacement spring might be cheaper when you factor in your time.

I'm always ready to tell people to put stiffer spring in. I might as well be the guy telling people to put lighter springs. in.

:goofy: I think some of the CBR springs are lighter, fit, and could be had used to next to nothing. Search jamie Daughtery out he knows whick springs can be swapped within those line shocks at least. He is a member here.

Also, you can shorten the spacers in the forks to give you a little more preload adjustment if you have adjusters on there and have not tried this already. The factory ones are probably steel tubing, but electrical conduit of a close size and the proper washers to protect the PVC will work. Well, will work, as in that is what comes with replacement springs.

• Member Contributer
So, im in the garage tonite trying to set my sag, the most i can get out of my rear is 19 MM.

That doesn't seem right, even with your weight.

You can download the spreadsheet attached to this post at the bottom, and make sure that:

L1 is bike fully extended This is particularly important if you're at the lowest setting.

• Member Contributer
So, im in the garage tonite trying to set my sag, the most i can get out of my rear is 19 MM.

You can download the spreadsheet attached to this post at the bottom, and make sure that:

L1 is bike fully extended This is particularly important if you're at the lowest setting.

I would have to wonder about that too. Aren't most of the Japanese bikes set for a rider who weighs about 150 pounds?

Being a feather weight, 130lb's without the leathers :thumbsup:

I've spent a bit of time & money playing with my suspension in the last 3yrs or so.

When i started i went with a 16kg Eibach spring on the rear & had the preload set at 3, sometimes 4.

For the front I used a custom shim stack (Set for my weight) & 0.90 Raceteck springs.

Was a very nice ride & having the Front/rear matched makes a big difference.

Just for the record :D

It now has an Ohlins rear with 17kg spring & Front is 0.95 Racetek. The only reason i changed the front was because of the Ohlins pushing it around..hehe

With both setups i was able to get the sags pretty close to start with & then adjust to my style/feel. Though the adjusters on the front are out as far as they go.

Stephane, thanks for the spreadsheet. I will work with it and use it to check my work. It seems odd that i could get the fronts pretty close but the rear was so far off.

Being a feather weight, 130lb's without the leathers :thumbsup:

I've spent a bit of time & money playing with my suspension in the last 3yrs or so.

When i started i went with a 16kg Eibach spring on the rear & had the preload set at 3, sometimes 4.

For the front I used a custom shim stack (Set for my weight) & 0.90 Raceteck springs.

Was a very nice ride & having the Front/rear matched makes a big difference.

Just for the record :D

It now has an Ohlins rear with 17kg spring & Front is 0.95 Racetek. The only reason i changed the front was because of the Ohlins pushing it around..hehe

With both setups i was able to get the sags pretty close to start with & then adjust to my style/feel. Though the adjusters on the front are out as far as they go.

Gingle.........what did you do with the rear spring you took out ?

Positive on measurement?, I'd say the bike will sag on its own 20mm atleast on lightest spring setting

I have a couple of low-mileage F4i shocks for sale for $40 each, they have a lighter weight spring and swap right in, you will also gain more adjustment by doing this. :thumbsup:

• Member Contributer
I have a couple of low-mileage F4i shocks for sale for $40 each, they have a lighter weight spring and swap right in, you will also gain more adjustment by doing this. :thumbsup:

Lol, you could probably sell the shock with the heavier spring to recoup some of the cost. :salesman:

,..... are there any other tricks ?

Might I suggest Guiness insteasd of light beer or chocolate malts instead of skim milk :goofy:

By the way, your Grandpa was a wise man.

Sebastian, im intrested in your shock. Sounds like its a direct bolt in, could i just swap the springs ? Where are you located, and how can i get some money too you?

• Member Contributer

I weigh 135 with gear and I use the second notch.

If you want a different rear spring anyway then go ahead but you can certainly get 35mm out of the stock. Get someone to help you measure so you're sure what you are set at. I'll bet you're getting there.

And I have micron cans which are a couple pounds lighter than stock..... So, yeah, you should be able to get there.

If you want a different rear spring anyway then go ahead but you can certainly get 35mm out of the stock. Get someone to help you measure so you're sure what you are set at. I'll bet you're getting there.

And I have micron cans which are a couple pounds lighter than stock..... So, yeah, you should be able to get there.

I had help measuring, and i feel we did it right. I will check it once again since it sounds like i may not have what i think i have. Thanks again guys........

• Member Contributer

I had help measuring, and i feel we did it right. I will check it once again since it sounds like i may not have what i think i have. Thanks again guys........

Just thought of something here: When measuring the rear, is your measurment perpendicular? Because if you measureat an angle, all bets are off.

Archived