Few Tire Questions

afennell

I am still running my VFR on the original tires. I have been thinking about when to replace the first set. I am planning to ride up to Thunder Bay and back in late may. I was planning to do my first tire change after that trip, but it after reading the tire threads I think I might need to do my first tire change before then. After spending an extra $1,000 for ABS it seems counter productive cheap out on tire changes. I think I am going to go with the Michelin Pilot Powers.

What kind of mileage can I expect from the orginal Dunlop tires?

Is it best to change the tires as a set, or is it okay to replace front and rear independantly?

What exactly is cupping?

What is the typical mileage for Michelin PP?

• Member Contributer

Hello!

I am no expert but here goes!

I think I am going to go with the Michelin Pilot Powers.

Why go with a Sport tire instead of a Sport Touring tire? Are you really riding to the edge of your bike most of the time? Sport tires tend to melt quicker than ST tires... But hey, some people want all the traction they can get, its your call in the end.

Very low. I got around 6000km on mines
Is it best to change the tires as a set, or is it okay to replace front and rear independantly?

For optimal change, you should change the tire as a set. In reality we don't do it, its waaaay to expensive. You can change tires independantly. Just be carefull when you are mixing and matching tire make or model. Engineers have profiled them to work best together.

What exactly is cupping?
Its tire degradation... Mostly happens to the front tire. The cupping I have seen deforms the sides of your tire and makes it useless even tough most of the tire is still usable. I'll try to find a pic to post.

No clue, I stick to Sport Touring tires.

Boy, these are wide open questions.

Mileage on any tire will very from 500-1000% depending on who's riding it, seeing from 2000 to 10,000 from the same tire! :blink:

There are tons of tire threads here and ever a tire survey, I think there's 3 tire post running right now. Spend a little time in the Search box or the Maint. form, you'll find way too much info. :thumbsup:

I am going to try going with a sport tire over a sport touring tire because I just want the best traction possible. I figure that I have so much invested in the motorcycle that I might as well spend the money to squeeze out all the performance possible. Perhaps I will switch back to sport touring tires if I don't feel there is enough benefit. I definitely want the tires to stand up to the twisties when required.

I know these are wide open questions. The trouble is that the tire question is overwhelming for most new VFR owners.

• Member Contributer

If you have the cash, go with sport rubber. It is cheap insurance and will allow you to progress faster (IMO) with better feedback and confidence inspiring grip.

No clue on the Dunlops.

Best to change as a set but not necessary in most cases,

Cupping is uneven wear from the leading to trailing edge of a tread block. Most noticeable on the front tire because it can cause bar oscillations and other funny stuff when it gets bad.

Variable. I think I get just over 2K miles on a Power rear, but you may get 2-3 times that depending on how you ride, air pressure, ambient temperatures, road surface, etc.

I am still running my VFR on the original tires. I have been thinking about when to replace the first set. I am planning to ride up to Thunder Bay and back in late may. I was planning to do my first tire change after that trip, but it after reading the tire threads I think I might need to do my first tire change before then. After spending an extra $1,000 for ABS it seems counter productive cheap out on tire changes. I think I am going to go with the Michelin Pilot Powers.

What exactly is cupping?

the front (pilotpower) seems to be a 5 to 6,000 mile tire , I dont run the rear cause I know it will be half of that.

my Z6 front at 5000 mile looked to be at or slightly over half life , I was expecting about 8,000 mile and it was wearing perfect, but a screw killed it.

I am going to try going with a sport tire over a sport touring tire because I just want the best traction possible. I figure that I have so much invested in the motorcycle that I might as well spend the money to squeeze out all the performance possible. Perhaps I will switch back to sport touring tires if I don't feel there is enough benefit. I definitely want the tires to stand up to the twisties when required.

I know these are wide open questions. The trouble is that the tire question is overwhelming for most new VFR owners.

No question IMO that if you want the Best overall (wet/dry/grip,wear,feel,etc.) Sport tire for the buck, it's the Michelin Pilot Power! :thumbsup:

Can be had mail order for $220-240 set to your door! :unsure:

Thanks, I'll just have to figure out when to do my tire changes. I would like to start my trip in July on a fresh set of tires, but I don't think my current tires will last that long. Maybe I can crank it up a notch and burn through a full set between that and now. If only I had that much time to ride.

I've had 2 sets of pilot powers on the VFR, first rear got over 12,000 km on it before the wear bars disappeared. I just made sure my pressure was up for the slab trips and dropped a couple of pounds for the twisties. Front tire lasted 1.75x the back tire. Pretty typical Ontario riding.

I wouldn't mind trying another sport tire to see what the other technology is like. But I think I'll stay away from the touring tires. A $500 set of tires is not enough reason to loose it when it gets twisty.

• Member Contributer
I've had 2 sets of pilot powers on the VFR, first rear got over 12,000 km on it before the wear bars disappeared. I just made sure my pressure was up for the slab trips and dropped a couple of pounds for the twisties. Front tire lasted 1.75x the back tire. Pretty typical Ontario riding.

I wouldn't mind trying another sport tire to see what the other technology is like. But I think I'll stay away from the touring tires. A $500 set of tires is not enough reason to loose it when it gets twisty.

$500? Ouch. I get a set of Pilot Powers for $230 ($270 CAD). Might want to check with some local independent shops and mail order.

Archived