Frame Sliders For A Vtec - Need Help.

KanadianKen

Question

I am considering installing some custom frame sliders on my 02, and am just measuring up the location for the hole.

My concern is that the location on the fairing that I need to drill, does not leave any margin of connected plastic, once drilled.

THe dot in the centre of the yellow dot - is the centre of the hole. From there - the hole will be 3/4 inch in all directions. (The hole saw is 1 1/2" )

IMG_3677.jpg

My fear is not in drillign the holes, its what the fairing will do after in terms of stress cracks because it has been compromised.

Radar in Saskatoon has sent me a kit to use to drill the holes, and he has made an aluminum base that will bolt to the engine bolt, and then the solid Delrin slider mounts to the aluminum.

ANyone that has a close up of the hole they drilled - or even a shot of where they mounted their sliders for a 6th gen - I'd appreciate seeing that.

Feedback is needed......

thanks

Well, if you get stuck, the simplest thing to do would be to turn the base and slider down some more in the lathe, making the diameter smaller, and then use a smaller hole saw. Taking .062" off the slider in the lathe will buy you 1/8" on the hole size, which will leave you with a little bridge of plastic left on the fairing, which you could reinforce from the rear with a piece of small diamter metal rod and some fiberglass resin.

That's my two cents, anyway.

• Member Contributer

Ken thats going to be pretty close to the vent opening in the fairing. Is that what your concern is? Your driiling into the fairing from the other side though right? What does RAdar have to say? I see your concern but dont have a solution other than check 20 times cut once :huh: Oh and whose holding the flashlight? +1.gif

Perhaps there is some way to reinforce the fairing from behind prior to drilling. I am not sure if fibreglass with stick to the type of plastic that our fairings are made of, but I would think about putting a layer or two of epoxy fibreglass on the inner surface of the fairing for extra strength around the hole. I think the fairings are made of ABS plastic like the black drain pipes, but I don't know for sure.

thanks guys, I'm in a holding pattern for now. DUDE - I will be drilling "AIR" as in the opening of the fairing. I don't think thats a smart thing to do.

Seb - your suggesstion is how I'm thinking this needs to go.

Heres a pic of Radars slider:

med_gallery_8807_2171_399455.jpg

I think the aluminum base is too large for the 6 gens to work. Maybe this needs to be more like the R&G slider - in that a small diameter bolt goes through the fairing, with the base attached to the end of the bolt - and then the Delrin slider attached to the base.

I'll wait and see what Radar suggests..

Ken see dirtbags pic? Thats where it needs to be located!!!

Gary go over to Ken's and do it for him, err help him. Ken get the flashlight ready. :P

Here's what I have Ken.

This is a picture of it installed (and crash tested, for that matter :P).

gallery_3392_431_10360.jpg

DSC04620.JPG

Another picture of the location

gallery_3392_431_340584.jpg

DSC04505.JPG

A close up shot of where the pilot hole was drilled

gallery_3392_431_411562.jpg

DSC04504.JPG

This is the engine mount for the Motovation sliders.

gallery_3392_431_113687.jpg

DSC04490.JPG

Maybe I do need to get in the car and head to Kanada. . .

Well - I appreciate the vote of confidence and support CBR boy.....

Looks like OXmoles slider attached to the other engine bolt. If that is the one to use - then this will be a piece of cake.

I was of the impression to use the forward most bolt. THanks again!!!

Well - I appreciate the vote of confidence and support CBR boy.....

Looks like OXmoles slider attached to the other engine bolt. If that is the one to use - then this will be a piece of cake.

I was of the impression to use the forward most bolt. THanks again!!!

No problem flashlight boy. :goofy: Ken go with Dale's suggestion. Obviously he has a lot of experience with intalling sliders. He also has experience using them but I wouldn't necessarily ask for that advice. :P

In defence of what might appear to be a lack of my mechanical skill, I just reread the instructions, and I was following them to the letter. I am however one of the worlds best light holders for people that really know what they are doing - like Dude and MCREW!!!

I think that as my bike is the prototype "donor" for 6th Gens, this is exactly what we needed to find out before Radar makes these up in quantities to sell.

5TH Gen bikes (what Radar has) use the forward of the two top engine bolts. It seems to me that the 6TH Gen bikes need to use the other (back) engine bolt so as to not weaken the plastic around the rad opening.

I'll post up with pics and a step by step once we work through this "hiccup".

It was fun being in the garage though - had the propane heater going, the radio on, and some time to myself.... I avoided the beer though - but now that the projects on hold......... :beer:

In defence of what might appear to be a lack of my mechanical skill, I just reread the instructions, and I was following them to the letter. I am however one of the worlds best light holders for people that really know what they are doing - like Dude and MCREW!!!

Ken you can hold the flashlight for me anytime. :thumbsup:

• Member Contributer

The rear bolt, for sure. Wouldn't worry 'boot stress cracks. DRILL IT FROM THE BACK SIDE, or you'll prolly regret it.

• Member Contributer

Ken, just remember to drill a small pilot hole, get hole large enough to bolt up slider base to the outside with fairings mounted, take a black sharpie marker and trace around base of slider, use a dremel tool, I used the little sanding drums, and go very slowly, cutting the hole larger to let these sliders drop in, my job was very tricky but took my time and turned out perfect, are R & g s but same concept, wireless will has some great pics, just go slow and a Dremel tool is a must here, not a gadget , thanks doug

This thread is the exact reason VFRD is such a good web site! I'm looking at installing frame slider in the spring and have just had a number of questions answered. Y'all really know your stuff... well, most of you really know your stuff!

• Member Contributer
thank god ken that you actually asked questions before cutting!!! totally unlike some aircraft mechanics i know:)

hey whats that supposed to mean?!?!

well, i guess if you saw the bell 214 helicopter i work on right now(in the middle of winter maintenance...), you would probably have something wink.gif

Ken, just remember to drill a small pilot hole, get hole large enough to bolt up slider base to the outside with fairings mounted, take a black sharpie marker and trace around base of slider, use a dremel tool, I used the little sanding drums, and go very slowly, cutting the hole larger to let these sliders drop in, my job was very tricky but took my time and turned out perfect, are R & g s but same concept, wireless will has some great pics, just go slow and a Dremel tool is a must here, not a gadget , thanks doug

Ken this is great advice. It will take a bit longer than the Roto-Rooter you were going to use but will look much better and minimize any chance for damage. :thumbsup:

Radar has created some amazing tools that take ALL the guesswork out of cutting the pilot hole, and the hole for the slider base. I'll let him share the tools he's designed.

No lasers, play dough, putty, paint needed to do the locating of the holes. IT is a SLICK system.

I'll post more on this once I get done.

THanks for all the suggesstions - I appreciate it. :thumbsup:

• Member Contributer
This thread is the exact reason VFRD is such a good web site! I'm looking at installing frame slider in the spring and have just had a number of questions answered. Y'all really know your stuff... well, most of you really know your stuff!

That's 'cause we dont' want to see others cut the beautiful bike to ribbons, like we have. LOL.

Radar has created some amazing tools that take ALL the guesswork out of cutting the pilot hole, and the hole for the slider base. I'll let him share the tools he's designed.

No lasers, play dough, putty, paint needed to do the locating of the holes. IT is a SLICK system.

I'll post more on this once I get done.

THanks for all the suggesstions - I appreciate it. :thumbsup:

Now THIS is something I want to see. If it takes the "Damn, I hope I'm right about this" out of it, it's worth a fortune!

• Member Contributer

VFRD come thru again. Good for you to post up instead of being mr macho guy and friggin things up :thumbsup: Leave bolt breaking and shit to me :goofy:

• Member Contributer

an easy way to centre the hole is to glue a tack(or similar device, with an easily removed adhesive) to the end of the bolt and back it out enough to hit the fairing. light tap with hand/rubbermallet and pretso whamo there is your centre.

:rolleyes:

Archived