Firewire

Guest JDP

I bought a new Mini DV camcorder. The Canon Elura 100. Can't wait till I get a chance to record some rides. I went with the minidv becasue I understand the picture quality is better than the DVD or hard drive due to compression. The bad thing about the minidv is it is harder to download to my PC for editing and burning. Thus my question. I have been reading a little about add on firewire cards for my desktop and laptop since mine did not come with it. The reviews for some are very negative such as the audio portion does not translate well. I was wondering if anyone has any advice about firewire cards and also some inexpensive yet good editing software.

generally macs are firewire, pcs are usb 2.0, some sony equipment has it's own proprietary firewire technology.

firewire cards are the fastest data transfer, and generally the cards are cheap - usually around 25 bucks.

if your camera supports firewire, i'd use it, if not a usb 2.0 card is equally cheap and nearly as fast. you shouldn't notice any difference in quality using either method.

your pc should come with windows xp video editing software - i think it's called movie maker (if i remember correctly). the mac equivalent is imovie which is easier to use and produces better quality video.

if you get more serious about the video editing you could try something like adobe premiere, or final cut express.

• Member Contributer
Glad you posted here, I just purchased the same unit a couple of days ago and still getting familiar with it. I noticed in the users manual it will download to a PC from the SD card using the USB port. I haven't actually tried it and I'm new to the whole video thing but it might be a temporary alternative. I found a 2Gig SD card at Radio Shack for $40.

Very interested in seeing your video results and general setup, bike mount etc.

I may be wrong but I think on this camera the SD slot is only for still photos, the DV tape is for video.

• Member Contributer
AFAIK movie maker has a limited output i.e. only severely compressed video, but I'm not sure.

Nope, it has dv in/out capability.

I only use dv tapes for one recording and then store. I download and edit and output to dvd and/or a new mini-dv tape. Also, I woudn't invest too heavily in SD equipment from now on.

• Member Contributer
I may be wrong but I think on this camera the SD slot is only for still photos, the DV tape is for video.

I guess you are. :warranty: Canon Elura 100 can use SD card for video recording too.

Archived