'05 Wiring Harness Issues?

VFRiderGal

• Member Contributer

I'm not a mechanic by any means, and I am curious to know if any of these 6th Gens are experiencing this issue that everyone has talked about. I am a very quick learner and am more or less curious to know if it's something that I should keep a constant eye on. An ounce of prevention is worth... ya know how it goes... :D

• Member Contributer
I'm not a mechanic by any means, and I am curious to know if any of these 6th Gens are experiencing this issue that everyone has talked about. I am a very quick learner and am more or less curious to know if it's something that I should keep a constant eye on. An ounce of prevention is worth... ya know how it goes... :D

The parts microfiches and part numbers are the same, so I would expect at least up to model year 2006 VFRs to experience the same electrical problems of all the earlier 6th gen VFRs, just a few years later, obviously.

When you change your oil and have the sides off check the wiring and connectors for discoloration or signs of heat stress. While your there put a dab of some electrical grease or silicone on the connectors, this semms to help.

• Member Contributer
When you change your oil and have the sides off check the wiring and connectors for discoloration or signs of heat stress. While your there put a dab of some electrical grease or silicone on the connectors, this semms to help.

keep an eye on your 30 amp fuse and wire, and hookup a volt meter every now and then and make sure your monitor wire to your R/R is working - reading less than 15 volts across the battery terminals with high beams at 5500rpm.

I think Honda made modifications to the harness on different year models, but kept the same part number. Hopefully they corrected some of the problems and your newer model won't have an issue!

I have seen several differences in several Vtec wiring that I have seen just at my house. :goofy:

There's a blue connector and a related ground on the left front side of your bike, above the radiator, that has been giving enough 6th gen owners problems with it melting/burning out. It could pretty much be the 6th gen version of the 3rd to 5th gen RR problem.

Weirdest "quirk" with the VFRs was the 5th gen melting dashboard problem which was believed to have been cause by the windshield focusing sunlight on to spots on the dash as what a magnifying glass would do. Glad that Honda foound out how to avoid that on the 6th gen.

Beck

95 VFR

Archived