Which Accel Coils For My Vf750?

SEBSPEED

Question

This was a topic I posted a while back, seems it got screwed up somewhere along the timeline... of course I didn't write the answer to the question down, thinking I could just search for it later. Anyone wanna help me out? :wheel:

8 answers to this question

Seb,

use your voltmeter and put the positive lead of tester on positive side of coil, negative side of tester to ground. Turn on ignition-DO NOT PRESS START, if there 12 volts @ coil, inductive, if not then they are CDI.

Zac

Seb,

use your voltmeter and put the positive lead of tester on positive side of coil, negative side of tester to ground. Turn on ignition-DO NOT PRESS START, if there 12 volts @ coil, inductive, if not then they are CDI.

Zac

Thanks!

I wonder if the battery for my 700 will take a charge... (it's been awhile!)

seb.. I have Accel #140403 on my '84 700... so those would be the non-cdi, I believe.

Thank you sir, I thought that was the part number! You PM'ed it to me a while back(twice!), and I didn't want to bother you again... :thumbsup:

• Member Contributer
seb.. I have Accel #140403 on my '84 700... so those would be the non-cdi, I believe.

Thank you sir, I thought that was the part number! You PM'ed it to me a while back(twice!), and I didn't want to bother you again... :thumbsup:

hehe... I saved the p/n in the PDA this time, just in case of emergency.

hehe... I saved the p/n in the PDA this time, just in case of emergency.

What a pal! :huh:

Just what I needed! From Accel's site:

Our universal coil kit is intended for use on motorcycles that are point or electronically triggered. This kit is a 4cyl kit that is used with Inductive Discharge (non C.D.I.) type ignitions and has a primary resistance of 3.0ohms. Kit includes (2) Super Coils, (4) 8.8mm Universal Plug Wires and all mounting hardware. WARNING: Using the wrong coil may damage your motorcycles electronic ignition module. To determine what ignition type, use the application chart found in the ACCEL Motorcyle catalog.

Part Number: 140403

They also recommend possibly re-jetting the carbs richer to take advantage of the stronger spark. That means more powah!! :thumbsup:

Now I'll have to see if they make some for my VFR. Mounting the stock units is tricky on a naked bike...no neat place to put them. Actually I'd really like to use the coil-on-plugs, but not sure if they'll work in the VFR cylinder heads.

• Member Contributer

As mentioned, the correct part number is 140403. It's the opposite of what you might think, that part number is for inductive ignitions and these bikes have CDI. Nobody seems to know why, but if you run the CDI coils on the old VF's you'll get some flames shooting out of the spark box(es) and it will lose it's magic smoke.

Archived