Exl Bags

TimC

Looking for an inexpensive set of soft bags for the back of my '04 VFR w/stock pipes. Don't want to spend a lot b/c I won't use them much. Willing to spend more for better bags, but don't want to drop too much on 'em right now.

Saw some bags (soft bags, tail bags and tank bags) for sale on eBay made by EXL and wanted to know if anyone here has any experience with their soft bags? Leaning toward a Joe Rocket or Icon tank bag for everyday riding, but the EXL soft bags look alright.

If not EXL, I might end up with TourMaster or other medium-sized soft bags. Any thoughts on EXL and/or TourMaster bags? Thanks in advance for your help, everyone!

Looking for an inexpensive set of soft bags for the back of my '04 VFR w/stock pipes. Don't want to spend a lot b/c I won't use them much. Willing to spend more for better bags, but don't want to drop too much on 'em right now.

Saw some bags (soft bags, tail bags and tank bags) for sale on eBay made by EXL and wanted to know if anyone here has any experience with their soft bags? Leaning toward a Joe Rocket or Icon tank bag for everyday riding, but the EXL soft bags look alright.

If not EXL, I might end up with TourMaster or other medium-sized soft bags. Any thoughts on EXL and/or TourMaster bags? Thanks in advance for your help, everyone!

I bought an EXL tank bag and was pleasantly surprised by the features and build quality, quick shipping too! Only complaint is that magnets are too strong, if you're not careful the flaps will slam down, my old lockhart tankbag used more magnets but less powerful and never wreaked havoc on the paint. The EXL kinda "orange peeled" some of the clear but I think that was my fault for not pulling the bag off after running through some heavy rain and leaving the bag on in the hot sun afterwards without letting it dry or anything, cant tell it ever happened after a quick easy buff. For 2+ months before that I never noticed anything bad, glued some softer material to it though just in case, and to cut down on the grip the mags produced...anyway I'm rambling since you dont want the tankbag, I would give em a shot if they are what you want, they hold true to their return policy if you dont like them! I tried a cheapy modular helmet for my commute/spare and didnt like it so sent it back, no questions aseked and money back in paypal the day after UPS said they recieved it!

• Member Contributer

I'll let you know. Going the tail bag rout. (Grafted to my Givi tail rack). I checked a few reviews and blogs, and it seems folks are pleasently surprised at the quality, for the cheapness. I am frugal, but as it would be a mainstay, on my bike I don't mind spending a little more.

The problem is that NO-ONE makes a bag to fit my needs. Either too big or too small. I was look'n at rapid transit, as I just purchased one of there triple tree bags. It matches my griptex Sargent, and griptex custom 1/2 tank bra, excellently. But,...The platoon is the right size, IT'S A BOX. Might as well just throw on a milk crate.

Currently using a ballistic back pack, but with almost 25,000 miles on it, it's seen better days. The Exl doesn't match the overall look, but it's not a box, and its the size I would like.

If need be, it is also cheap enough that I would be willing to add some of the extra griptex, (that I have, in some cool, excentuating fashion), to help the match.

Plus the damn thing comes with a rain cover. Cool!

• Member Contributer

Got it. No miles yet, but I like it.

Sorry, pics suck.

gallery_2922_262_144751.jpg

100_3225.JPG Side tags removed

gallery_2922_262_407399.jpg

100_3224.JPG Better pic

Nice looking bag, Rivcyko! Looks like the red trim matches pretty well, too. Thanks for posting those pix.

I may end up getting the EXL soft bags/saddlebags w/red trim for trips and add a med. sized tank bag for everyday use.

• 3 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Well, with 5,996 miles this season, (pretty sad compared to last season), I only have one small complaint, with the bag.

On the flap, (very unseen), there is a bit of the, "skin", that has seperated from the seem. Appears to be an operator error, during construction. Looks like whomb-ever was sewing, didn't quite get the nylon far enough into the seem when sewn. It doesn't help that I stuff the hell, out if the thing. LOL. Was an easy fix. Took a lighter to it, then C.A.-ed it, back under the seem.

Overall value, and happiness,.... an 8, on the Rivcyko scale. (Those who know me would know, that's quite a compliment).

I have the same tailbag on my bike... but simply strapped it to the seat. It was the only tailbag I could find that zips off the base so I can keep my laptop and other work stuff in it and take everything but the base inside when I get to work. I'm really happy with mine. It works great... no major complaints... it even held up in light rain the other day when I forgot to bring the included rain cover. It strapped just fine to the stock seat... then also to the Sargent seat. 5500 miles on mine and no issues.

BTW Rivcyko... I stuff the crap out of mine also :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the long-term reviews, guys.

I'm going to the motorcycle show in Cleveland at the end of this month. I'm hoping to find a good deal on a pair of decent bags (and maybe a tail bag) at the show. If not, I'll be buying a set somewhere by this spring. Leaning a bit more toward MotoPak or TourMaster bags now.

I did buy an Icon "Primer" tank bag this fall. Nice medium-sized magnetic bag. Big enough for the essentials and more, plus a small first aid kit.

Thanks for the long-term reviews, guys.

I'm going to the motorcycle show in Cleveland at the end of this month. I'm hoping to find a good deal on a pair of decent bags (and maybe a tail bag) at the show. If not, I'll be buying a set somewhere by this spring. Leaning a bit more toward MotoPak or TourMaster bags now.

I did buy an Icon "Primer" tank bag this fall. Nice medium-sized magnetic bag. Big enough for the essentials and more, plus a small first aid kit.

Ditto on the Icon bag, I've had mine for a while now, and it's holding up really well. I wish it was about one inch bigger all around, so I could lay a magazine flat in there under my lunch, when I commute to work. Otherwise it's perfect for me.

Archived