How Much Longer?

tyrobbins

Hi Y'all. Check this pic out and give me your thoughts on how much longer you'd ride this front tire. It's my first set of Metzler Z6s and they have about 10K on them so far. Great tire. I spend a lot of time in the twisties so I've been able to spread the wear out to the sides a little. B) As you can see, i'm a little harder on the left side than the right. I'll be riding 129 this weekend so I'm really just interested if I can get another weeks worth of riding out of them (500-700 miles) or should I just get a new tire?

Not too interested in what you've been told to do or what the manuals say. If you've been riding for a while, I'd like to know what would YOU would do?

Cheers

gallery_3510_154_35089.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

Z6 Tire Wear

• Member Contributer

new rubber. Nothing like new rubber. It will be a whole new bike. 10k is a lot of miles for bike tires.

See you this weekend

Thanks Cozye. I'm just a little limited on time this week and had finished riding about 400 miles this weekend (3 trips through the Dragon) without feeling uncomfortable so I figured I'd see what you guys think and get as much life out of my tires as possible. I'll probably go to the shop this week.

I know, almost 10K is unbelievable right? Like I said though, I try to spread the wear out over the tire as much as possible. :D I also ride the highways as little as possible. The rear had almost 9K a couple weeks ago before I replaced it!

See ya early Saturday or maybe Friday evening if I can sneak off from work about an hour early.

Certainly is big mileage, that's 16k kilometres! About double the best I've ever got.

You have a pretty new rear; a new front will transform the bike.

I don't know exactly how many miles are on the tire but it's between 9K and 10K I've estimated off mileage I logged for an oil change back in August. I wish I had taken down the exact mileage because the guys I ride with have been amazed at how long they've been going as well.

Maybe because I've done a lot of cooler weather riding this winter so they've not been chewed up so bad on the hot roads? Also, the front might be because of... :wheel: J/K I don't know but I'm slapping another set on! It's my first set of new tires since i've owned the bike and I've been very impressed. One buddy just put a set on his K1200RS and loves them.

I guess I'll run Stewbrew's '86 down to the shop this week for new tires since he's out of town and take my front off and down there as well.

You're right Marty! In fact, I just put a gold chain on my bike this weekend. Bling Bling. I'm loaded...I wish!

I just wanted to see how long the tire would last and I figured the guys on the tracks use the slick tires so why can't I when it comes to the 129/Skyway track!?!?

From the sound of things, I have the "Everlasting Metzstopper". Maybe I just don't ride hard enough. :D

Still planning on riding down this weekend???

I debating the same thing right now...I want a new tire, but I still have soem meat left in the center. It seems like a waste to get rid of it when I can still do some more commuting, but the road...she's calling me to stray from staying on the straight path.:P

Hehe. My thoughts exactly Neboor.

I had the same thing happen to my rear tire ULEWZ but it was in the center of the tread.

I'm ordering one today and should be making the ride this weekend with a new front.

Thanks for the advice all. :wheel:

Get some new tires!

I've got 7500 miles on my current set and they look a lot worse than what you've got. But I know how crappy my bike is handling on my current set of tires and it's made spirited riding a (temporarily of course) thing of the past. I'll be getting a brand new set of Bridgestone 020s installed in about a week's time. Look forward to it too!

n00b question: assuming that you don't square-off/cone-up the tire, why would wear affect the traction and handling of the bike if there's still rubber on there? After all, isn't it the rubber that sticks?

Or, is street rubber not that sticky in favor of mileage, and the tread provides some enhanced sliding friction by taking "purchase" on the texture of the road?

• 2 weeks later...

I have 8500 miles on my metzler z6 tires. You certainly got your moneys worth.

Since you are from Knoxville, check out in the wind on Lovell Rd,just across

the street from the Waffle House. They gave me a good deal on my z6's 2 years ago. One of the guys at Cycle gear on Cedar Bluff told me that If I brought them my wheels they would mount and balance the new tires for 15.00 each.

Hey otto,

Been there, done all that. In the Wind is a first class shop. Got a really good deal on tires (slightly higher than online) and $15 per mount is the best I've found in the Knoxville area. Plus they're friendly and professional.

I just bought my second set of Z6s and love them. When I purchased my bike a year ago it had some worn Dunlops that I wasn't too comfortable on. Of course, I'd never rode a street bike either so what do i know? :offtopic: The Z6 is the only new tire I've had on the bike. Not once (even with the set above), have I ever felt uncomfortable with these tires. Rain or shine, they performed great. My weekend rides consists of swift rides on 129, 116 and the Cherahola Skyway so I'm pushing them pretty hard too!

Hypnos,

I guess that was my question but suppose the riders with more experience have their inner reasons why. Like ULEWS said, they might go to shreds in one ride? Don't know. I will say, a new front allowed me to rail a lot harder on 129 and 116 the past couple of weekends.

Cheers

Archived