Tires for 85 VF700

Guest SixteenDOHC

Guest SixteenDOHC

I just picked up an 85 VF700, which is in depesperate need for tires.... What is a good price for some good tires for this bike? And should i have the tires put on at a motorcycle shop or any tires shop? I just got this motorcycle and know next to nothing about motorcycles in general. Thanks.

I just picked up an 85 VF700, which is in depesperate need for tires.... What is a good price for some good tires for this bike? And should i have the tires put on at a motorcycle shop or any tires shop? I just got this motorcycle and know next to nothing about motorcycles in general. Thanks.

Southwest Moto tires seem to have a very good reputation and pricing structure.

Lots of riders on this forum use them regularly.

For example, Dunlop GT501 front, $81

http://arizonamoto.com/Merchant2/merchant....gory_Code=GT501

And the matching rear, $92

GT501.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

And they offer free shipping when you buy two tires. :thumbsup:

Guest SixteenDOHC
Southwest Moto tires seem to have a very good reputation and pricing structure.

Lots of riders on this forum use them regularly.

For example, Dunlop GT501 front, $81

And the matching rear, $92

GT501.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

And they offer free shipping when you buy two tires.  :thumbsup:

Ok thanks! And what kind of place should i bring them to to have them put on?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

What about Radials on these bikes? I just went by my local two wheelery and he quoted me a nice deal on some Bridgestone Battleaxe Radials in 120 on the front and 150 on the rear of my '85 Ceptor. He said I could put radials on it, but I had o do it in the pair.

I would kind of like to keep the stock wheels, but radials sound nice....

Anyone know?

What about Radials on these bikes?  I just went by my local two wheelery and he quoted me a nice deal on some Bridgestone Battleaxe Radials in 120 on the front and 150 on the rear of my '85 Ceptor.  He said I could put radials on it, but I had o do it in the pair.

I would kind of like to keep the stock wheels, but radials sound nice.... 

Anyone know?

You only have a 2.5" wide front rim and a 3.0" wide rear rim.

Radials are inadviseable unless you fit wider rims from another model of Honda.

Check out http://www.blackrhubarb.com He's a forum member here and has fitted 17" CBR rims to his early VF in order to run radial tires.

• Member Contributer
You only have a 2.5" wide front rim and a 3.0" wide rear rim.

Radials are inadviseable unless you fit wider rims from another model of Honda.

Check out http://www.blackrhubarb.com  He's a forum member here and has fitted 17" CBR rims to his early VF in order to run radial tires.

I just called my local guy and told him I was pretty sure that Radials would not work. He just insisted that they would. I didn't even get a chance to ask him about a set of 501s in 120/130 or some bias Battleaxes in 120/150. He offers free installation when you buy tires from him, so that is a big plus. And his prices are pretty good to boot.

He had set himself on a 130/130 combo in Battle Axe radials.

:wheel: :goofy:

• Member Contributer
I just called my local guy and told him I was pretty sure that Radials would not work.  He just insisted that they would.  I didn't even get a chance to ask him about a set of 501s in 120/130 or some bias Battleaxes in 120/150.  He offers free installation when you buy tires from him, so that is a big plus.  And his prices are pretty good to boot.

He had set himself on a 130/130 combo in Battle Axe radials. 

:wheel:  :goofy:

His idea of working and our idea of working may be a little different. You can probably spoon on a radial tire ment for a 5" rim onto a 3" rim, but it will alter the profile of the new tire.

Check into Metzeler Comp K Lasertec tires in addition to the Dunlops. They were a little stickier than the Dunlop K591's I had on my VF500F. The GT501 and K591 are the same tire with different tread pattern. Lasertec

• Member Contributer
His idea of working and our idea of working may be a little different. 

Lol, and from what I hve read. It seems like your idea of playing around is like some people's idea of thrashing.

I like the look of the Lasertec, I am bent on safety/performance, so I like idea of stickier compound.

erpp, gotta go back to work

• Member Contributer

GT 501s on the way here.

I had to pass on the Lasertec for $50 more, but it's ok, that money is going into the rear shock. :D

GT 501s on the way here. 

I had to pass on the Lasertec for $50 more, but it's ok, that money is going into the rear shock.  :D

Sorry I didn't catch this sooner, but I am on set #2 of Lasertecs on my VF700, and I love them! The best wet traction of any tire I've tried, and sticky enough to dangle my limbs without fear. I got pretty good mileage out of them too. Try'em the next time around, I'm sure you'll be glad you spent the extra $50!

• Member Contributer
Try'em the next time around, I'm sure you'll be glad you spent the extra $50!

Next time I won't have to have my rear shock shaft rechromed or resprung. I bet $50 won't mean so much then.

I will also be a much better rider so, a little better performance will mean a lot more. :wheel:

• Member Contributer

I got an e-mail from Southwest Moto Tires at nine something am today. I was asleep at nine something this morning.

Aparently Dunlop is behind on 501 produstion. I'm getting the Lasertecs. :idea3:

• Member Contributer
WHA!

Bridgestone Battleaxe Radials

Hummm.......i wonder if they would work on my 87!

He offered you these?

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/item....=647&Division=6

That is what he said, but I agree with the opinions in this thread.

You can probably fit them on the wheel, but you will have to change the shape of the tire so much that, I suspect good quality and fitting bias ply tires will perform better than radials forced to fit on the wheel.

EDIT: I had to compare prices with SWMoto and the link you posted. After shipping SWMoto is cheaper on the lasertechs by about 10 bones.

Guest shahram177

Chev, whats your stock size?

110/90 V16

130/80 V18

I'm thinking i can slap these on my 87 700

I was going down the Michilan McAdam rout till they were discontinued.

Cool maybe I'll start a post asking if any one has ever tried these rubbers before?

• Member Contributer

I think the stock size is

110/90V16 front

4.00 x 18 rear that translates roughly to 120/80V18

I went

120/80V16 front

130/80V18 rear

I should be able to tell you how they fit in a week or so + time to get my rear shock + time to install and slam the suspension on another random object on the highway to see if I still have clearances. :D

I have heard up to a 130 front and 150 rear, or so I think. This makes the Bias Ply BattleAxes sound enticing, but size is only good for 10% of what I want a tire for.... looks.

Archived