OEM Top Box Carrier

HenryCdn

• Member Contributer

Anyone have any pictures of the Honda OEM Top Box Carrier with and without the Top Box on I can see?

Any comments about how the OEM compares to other aftermarket carriers?

I would like something mainly for carrying a lighter load. I do not want a large case since I will use my factory hardbags for this. I just want something for short daily stuff instead of a tank bag.

Thanks.

Guest Aardvark892

I did not know Honda offered a top box for the VFR/Interceptor. I have only seen the Hondaline hard bags. Givi has a fine product, if you haven't already checked them out.

I bought a the factor rack (top box carrier) and build a platform with a backrest on it. There is a link around here to it. I will look and see if it is still good or send pics tonight when I get home.

Edit--I looked, it is gone. I will post some pics tonight.

NOt Jacking this thread - but heres the NEW templates I made to create the brackets to use with the grab handle mount locations:

EDIT - can't get the link to work right. It posts a HUGE picture which will annoy most people..... go to the Photobucket link to see it.....

I'll also give the link to the photobucket host in case anyone wants to download it:

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e114/kenirwin/img011.jpg

NOt sure if it will print in actual size for you..... the holes on the base are 5/16".

I did not mark the holes on the top part for where the Givi base or other base attaches, as they can all be so different.

I'll try to post up some photos of the finished brackets after I spray them.

The Givi e450 is designed for lighter loads and is reasonably priced. $157.23 US at Twisted Throtle and that includes the top plate.

My local dealer quoted me $196.00 CDN for a black one.

Guest Aardvark892
The Givi e450 is designed for lighter loads and is reasonably priced.? $157.23 US at Twisted Throtle and that includes the top plate.

My local dealer quoted me $196.00 CDN for a black one.

In case you're wondering, I give high marks to Twistedthrottle.com. Good service, great prices... and no, I don't work for them. I just bought something from them.

• Member Contributer
I did not know Honda offered a top box for the VFR/Interceptor.  I have only seen the Hondaline hard bags.  Givi has a fine product, if you haven't already checked them out.

Yeah, David Spears has the OEM top box and carrier at:

http://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk/cgi-bin...gi/Catalogue.pl

It seems many do go with the Givi and I have only heard good things.

• Member Contributer
I bought a the factor rack (top box carrier) and build a platform with a backrest on it.  There is a link around here to it.  I will look and see if it is still good or send pics tonight when I get home.

Edit--I looked, it is gone.  I will post some pics tonight.

Looking forward to seeing them.

Thanks.

• Member Contributer
NOt Jacking this thread - but heres the NEW templates I made to create the brackets to use with the grab handle mount locations:

EDIT - can't get the link to work right.  It posts a HUGE picture which will annoy most people..... go to the Photobucket link to see it.....

I'll also give the link to the photobucket host in case anyone wants to download it:

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e114/kenirwin/img011.jpg

NOt sure if it will print in actual size for you.....  the holes on the base are 5/16".

I did not mark the holes on the top part for where the Givi base or other base attaches, as they can all be so different.

I'll try to post up some photos of the finished brackets after I spray them.

Awesome mod but I must 2 up quite often!

Awesome mod but I must 2 up quite often!

I just finished installing the SW Moto rack with a Givi E460 as a trunk in combo with the Honda side bags. Sorry, no pics, but I got the idea from Hoopster who has posted pics of the combo in his gallery.

A couple of things... Givi racks will not work with Honda bags (according to Givi), so your choices are the Honda mount or the SW Moto rack.

The SW Moto rack is nice and three quick release tabs and the big ugly adapter plate is off of it and your left with a smaller looking plate behind the seat.

I used an additional nylon spacer (from Ace Hardware) that was the same size as the smaller spacers they give you in the kit. I did this to raise the rack a bit higher off of the rear plastic. Problem is you need to get a longer bolt to accomplish this and a regular metric bolt (from Ace Hardware) will not work.... the Hex head will hit the mounting tubes. So I also had to order some longer allen head bolts from boltdepot.com, which worked great.

Unless your pillon has a guy's butt, be prepared to hear comments about how her rear end is hitting the mounting bars... they've got them running right alongside the seat... and with them being raised from the spacer, she'll feel it. It's not a show stopper but then again, VFR's are not Goldwings either...

It's a bit of a bitch to get the handrail holes all lined up with the mounts. I tried a lot of different ways to make things easier to no avail. I eventually noticed that one of the small bolts near the license plate used to brace the Honda rack was horribly out of alignment, so I took it off and voila, everything lined up nicely. For some reason those holes are not aligned properly, so I loctitied the remaining bolt/s and all seems fine without the other bolt.

• Member Contributer
Unless your pillon has a guy's butt, be prepared to hear comments about how her rear end is hitting the mounting bars... they've got them running right alongside the seat... and with them being raised from the spacer, she'll feel it.  It's not a show stopper but then again, VFR's are not Goldwings either...

To aleveate this problem on longer trips I put down a folded up towel to raise her off the seat some. I'm thinking a sheepskin cover would do the trick perfectly.

I have an '06 (white ABS) and my local dealer quotes $550.44 w/tax for the OEM white box and mount. I already have the Honda hard side bags.

I called Twisted Throttle to find out what my non-Honda options are. They said that SW-Motech lists a mounting bracket that will fit the '06, but delivery date is uncertain, and could be over 2 months away.

Sooooo, I guess I'm going w/Honda's solution, pricey as it is. Too many times I don't take the VFR because I don't want to carry side bags, but a tank bag isn't a viable solution.

• Member Contributer
I have an '06 (white ABS) and my local dealer quotes $550.44 w/tax for the OEM white box and mount.  I already have the Honda hard side bags.

I called Twisted Throttle to find out what my non-Honda options are.  They said that SW-Motech lists a mounting bracket that will fit the '06, but delivery date is uncertain, and could be over 2 months away. 

Sooooo, I guess I'm going w/Honda's solution, pricey as it is.  Too many times I don't take the VFR because I don't want to carry side bags, but a tank bag isn't a viable solution.

Any top box and mount from 02-05 will fit the 06. Check out this link which is simply a search of this site for "top box".

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.p...ighlite=top+box

Any top box and mount from 02-05 will fit the 06.  Check out this link which is simply a search of this site for "top box".

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.p...ighlite=top+box

I was told by Twisted Throttle that the requirement to be compatible with the OEM hard side bags necessitates a mount that is not available yet from any manufacturer.

Here's my OEM carrier w/ GIVI topcase w/optional upper rack and backrest. PITA to install, but worth it!

gallery_4566_1365_595937.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

117_1748.jpg

gallery_4566_1365_988960.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

117_1749.jpg

gallery_4566_1365_69758.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

117_1753.jpg

gallery_4566_1365_415168.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

117_1752.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Stu 2004

Hi, I have OEM Panniers and Top box fitted as per photos but I only fit the rack for the top box when I am really going to need it as I think it looks crap with the top box rack fitted but not the box. I think the pannier rails are quite unobtrusive even without the panniers fitted so I leave them on all the time as it is very easy to slap on the boxes and nip down the shop or whatever.. :D

gallery_7330_1419_35150.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

Boxes.JPG

gallery_7330_1419_48290.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

Rack system.JPG

• Member Contributer
Hi, I have OEM Panniers and Top box fitted as per photos but I only fit the rack for the top box when I am really going to need it as I think it looks crap with the top box rack fitted but not the box. I think the pannier rails are quite unobtrusive even without the panniers fitted so I leave them on all the time as it is very easy to slap on the boxes and nip down the shop or whatever.. :D

Hey, thanks for the pics. I agree, the OEM top rack does't look too great. I think I'll probably go with the Renntec aftermarket rack instead.

That's one big licence plate you've got there! :blink:

• 3 months later...

I wasn't sure whether to resurect this thread or start a new one, let's see how this goes....

Just got my used '04 VFR and it has the OEM hard saddlebags and sideracks. I'd like to add a Givi topcase and it looks like I'm leaning toward the SW-Motech ALU rack. If I understand TwistedThrottles website correctly, if I get a Givi Monolock case I don't need the Motech adapter plate, but if I get a Monokey case, I need the adapter plate (although TwistedThrottles drop down menu lists both a monokey and monolock adapter plate). Is this correct?

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/232/91/

Now the Givi topcase list at TwisteThrottle: some of the topcases specifically mention they fit the Motech ALU rack. Some of the other cases include this cryptic (to me) verbage:

Note that this topcase features the Givi Monolock design, which means it must be used with a special fitting plate (included) designed to fit onto flat tubular-style topracks. Fitting to other types of luggage racks may require custom fabrication and a trip to the hardware store. This case will not fit standard Givi Monolock racks (Wingrack or Monorack) without the use of another special fitting plate (not included).

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productlist/69

Is the ALU rack considered a flat tubular-style toprack? Or do I have to limit myself to the Givi topcases that specifically say the fit the Motech rack? Has anyone mounted any Givi topcases (other than the E460 as mentioned upthread) to a Motech rack?

• Member Contributer

The e460 monokey will work with the SWmotech rack but requires the adapter plate. That's all I know. I do think the SWmotech rack looks better than the Honda rack when the topcase is off.

• 4 months later...

If anyone is looking for a "like new" red Honda Top Box with mount, mine is for sale at $325 + shipping or I will deliver within 200 miles of Stillwater, OK. See my gallery for photos on the VFR.

Archived