Helmet Speakers

Guest Kr0nus

Guest Kr0nus

I just got some helmet speakers on Ebay and they work pretty good. I'm happy with them. Next up the AmpliRider :thumbsup:

I got some shoes I like too.

HS....you had me bent over the keyboard LMAO....you're a funny man.

Kronus, I think what HS meant was...Yes, that was a rather vague post as you said that they worked as advertised but...... we get rather picky around here and would like a comparison to other brands of earplugs our helmet speakers you might have tried. Or even compared them to home headphones as to how much bass or lack of bass they have, how the vocals sound, etc.

Maybe you can elaborate on the sound quality if you can.

Well I can't change my first post or I would put this up there.

Ok here is a real in depth review. Sorry for having a rather vague review before.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...TRK%3AMEWN%3AIT

This a review of my new Helmet speakers from Ebay. I got these mainly because the wire on my Sony Fontopia?s have worn down due to over exposure to wind and the elements while riding.

I got the helmet speakers in the mail yesterday. I must say that they were a lot smaller than I thought they would be which is good. The package came with 2 helmet speakers (w/female 2.5 mm driver), a small vinyl carrying case and a 2.5 mm to 3.5mm driver cord for whatever audio device you want to use. In my case it?s a Creative Zen Micro.

The helmet speakers have Velcro on the back and also have the ?female? side of the Velcro with tape on the back in case you have a helmet that doesn?t have a liner that Velcro will stick to. I have an Arai Quantum II helmet and it has such a liner so I didn?t need the extra Velcro piece. It takes some fitting to get the speakers where you can hear them, and where I ended up putting the speakers wasn?t where I thought my ears would be in a helmet but then again I?ve never really thought about that before. I?ll post some pix when I get home to show you what I mean. The helmet speakers have a female 2.5mm (like the Treo 650 audio driver)) driver so when you don?t have your helmet on (or don?t have an audio device to hook up to) you don?t have a long wire sticking out. I kept this female driver right below my ear and it doesn?t stick out of my helmet. There is also a Velcro strip just below the female driver so it will stay in place. The speakers also stay in place with their Velcro. I don't see them going anywhere anytime soon unless I move them.

Now on to the part that most of you want to know about, the sound. The sound is ok. I?m used to my Fontopia?s which have it beat as far as sound goes hands down. But, I frequently had problems with my Fontopia?s falling out of my ear while riding and like I said before they were not meant to with stand the elements on a motorcycle. The helmet speakers don?t have the bass that my Fontopia?s had, but the mids and the highs were good enough for me. I didn?t expect the helmet speakers to blow my mind in the sound quality department so it wasn?t a let down for me. I needed a product that was rugged. The wires with the helmet speakers are a hard (yet flexible) plastic and the Fontopia?s were some kind of rubber. I could also clearly hear the helmet speakers at 90+ Mph which is good.

Build quality: 9

Ease of use: 10

Sound quality: 6 (because of the weak bass)

Overall satisfaction: 7 (not based on the other scores)

Is that a little better for you guys? Sorry about the crappy review before.

Is that a little better for you guys?  Sorry about the crappy review before.

Thanks for the review. I liked it.

This made me think of something. A popular mod for Goldwingers with helmet headsets is to replace the speakers with some from a pair of Radio Shack Titanium Headphones. From what I've heard, these speakers are pretty good. They have an 15-25,000 Hz fequency range and 103db sensitivity.

Here's a link to the headphones: Titanium. These usually go on sale for half-price once or twice a year. And when they do, it's really hard to find them.

Well I can't change my first post or I would put this up there.

Ok here is a real in depth review.  Sorry for having a rather vague review before.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...TRK%3AMEWN%3AIT

This a review of my new Helmet speakers from Ebay.  I got these mainly because the wire on my Sony Fontopia?s have worn down due to over exposure to wind and the elements while riding.

I got the helmet speakers in the mail yesterday.  I must say that they were a lot smaller than I thought they would be which is good.  The package came with 2 helmet speakers (w/female 2.5 mm driver), a small vinyl carrying case and a 2.5 mm to 3.5mm driver cord for whatever audio device you want to use.  In my case it?s a Creative Zen Micro. 

Now on to the part that most of you want to know about, the sound.  The sound is ok.  I?m used to my Fontopia?s which have it beat as far as sound goes hands down.  But, I frequently had problems with my Fontopia?s falling out of my ear while riding and like I said before they were not meant to with stand the elements on a motorcycle.  The helmet speakers don?t have the bass that my Fontopia?s had, but the mids and the highs were good enough for me.  I didn?t expect the helmet speakers to blow my mind in the sound quality department so it wasn?t a let down for me.  I needed a product that was rugged.  The wires with the helmet speakers are a hard (yet flexible) plastic and the Fontopia?s were some kind of rubber.  I could also clearly hear the helmet speakers at 90+ Mph which is good.

Build quality:  9

Ease of use:  10

Sound quality:  6 (because of the weak bass)

Overall satisfaction:  7 (not based on the other scores)

Is that a little better for you guys?  Sorry about the crappy review before.

That's the stuff we wanted to hear about. I was curious about the bass because that is usually the part that is so hard to get right when it comes to having a speaker close to the ear or the earbud type of speakers. Usually even with normal headphones there needs to be some pressure to keep the speaker close to the ear to get good bass.

Guest fulcrum
Did you have earplugs in when testing?

Awww... I was gonna ask that question sad.gif

Also, the ebay link doesn't seem to be working. Does anyone have a working link to the same item so I can see what they look like.

My main reason for getting them will be for my GPS, so music quality isn't all that big a deal. But if they have the connectors as discussed then these sound nearly perfect.

Awww... I was gonna ask that question sad.gif

Sorry to beat ya...... I have been looking at these for while though too. Glad to finally hear some feedback about them. I like having my music pretty light, but yeah, they seem like a good buy.

Sorry the link died.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Helmet-Spea...049160568QQrdZ1

Those are the ones that I have and who I bought from.

No, I have not used earplugs.

I am going to set my bass to high today and see if I can get some bass out of the speakers. It will probably just sound crappy though. I'm going to ride home in a few minutes so I'll let you know what it sounds like when I get home.

If you guys do wear earplugs have you looked into the Amplirider?

http://www.electric-avenues.com/amplirider.html

It supposed to boost the sound of whatever you have plugged in and it gives you volume control from your handlebars, or whereever you want to put it. I emailed the guy this week and it is $65 shipped. When I get one I'll write another review.

• Member Contributer

I just ordered these Tork X2 speakers. There a step above the X1 that are reviewed in this topic. I ordered them from http://www.bikeintercom.com' target='_blank'>

I will review them when I get them.

gallery_5107_1297_14082.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

x2.gif

• 1 year later...
Guest rider5050

A good morning to all,

I received an item in the mail that I had order from bargainbikergear.com ,

I bought the Cardo Scala Rider bluetooth teamset from them on their web store and got it in the mail Sat.

IT is a amazing, and the lowest price on the web (anywhere).

So I go to their web site to check out more items they offer and was amazed at the total variety of apparel (come on, we all know how much the Teknic and Firstgear leathers are).

Wanted to share the super news of this place.

Super price and super lightning fast shipping (FREE over 50 buck purchase).

So I just placed another order with bargainbikergear this morning for a new leather jacket (got the Firstgear Scout). My wife is looking at the other Firstgear and we will probably order again.

Just wanted to pass along the deal I got on the Cardo Scala Rider Bluetooth Teamset.

I think we just found our new online store to buy all our cycle wants.

Enjoy the sun and RIDE RIDE RIDE

• Member Contributer
If you guys do wear earplugs have you looked into the Amplirider?

http://www.electric-avenues.com/amplirider.html

It supposed to boost the sound of whatever you have plugged in and it gives you volume control from your handlebars, or whereever you want to put it. I emailed the guy this week and it is $65 shipped. When I get one I'll write another review.

I got the AmpliRider last season. It's really nice having the volume control handy. It gets plenty loud, but I have not tried it with regular headphones and earplugs. I was using Koss Spark Plug ear buds.

I had a weird buzzing/humming that went up with engine revs. From my high-school car amp memory, I figured I had way too long of a ground cable. I have since shortened it, but haven't gotten to test yet.

• 1 year later...

Archived