The CBR Shock swap again.

Dennis The Menace

• Member Contributer

I am finally going to put the CBR 929 shock in my 1996. I have a question for those who have already done it. Did you put the shock to stock settings before installing it? After installation, how easy is the access to change settings?

I was wondering if a 954RR or a 1000RR shock would fit in a 6th gen, hmmmm next winter project.

I have a 600rr shock, and soon, an F4i shock laying around. Wonder if they would offer an improvement? The F4i has a remote res., too.

I was wondering if a 954RR or a 1000RR shock would fit in a 6th gen, hmmmm next winter project.

NO ! any shock with a fixed reservoir will Not fit on a Vtec. No room. 5th gen yes.

Guest SagaciousDupe
I have a 600rr shock, and soon, an F4i shock laying around. Wonder if they would offer an improvement? The F4i has a remote res., too.

I have an F4i on mine...it works great ~ action is greatly improved. The spring is a bit light. I have my sag set to 32mm, but it's maxed out on the preload. I weigh 175 geared up. The shock is about 10mm shorter than the stock shock so it needs shimmed. The biggest drawback is that the preload adjuster is on the bottom of the shock and ends up inside the swingarm. It would be possible to make a tool to adjust ~ I didn't take the time to do this. (Adjusted sag when I installed by taking the shock out again) Before installing the F4i, put one end in a vice, and a large screwdriver on the other end. Rotate the shock on it's shaft 180 degrees so that the rebound adjuster is on the correct side.

Shock lengths...hole to hole

stock 317.5mm ~ Vtec

F4i 307mm ~ preload is on bottom!

900rr 303mm ~ preload is on top! Possibility??

Dennis, sorry I have no info for your bike!

Guest SagaciousDupe

I should have mentioned how I got the shock lengths...

On the Ohlins web site, they have the option for 'recommendation list'. Select the make / model / year of the shock in question. Two things I looked at...the shock length, and the stroke. (making sure that the shock in question has a stroke at least as long as the stock shock) For valving, hit or miss. I just got lucky with the F4i.

Maybe that can help you Dennis!

• 5 years later...

NO ! any shock with a fixed reservoir will Not fit on a Vtec. No room. 5th gen yes.

Pulling this one out of the anals... :blink:

Are you sure of this BR?? I thought it was possible to fit a 929 shock on the VTEC... I'm about to buy one... maybe this info is out of date and it has been found that you can fit a 929er on the 6th gen... I can get my hands on a 929er with only 14000 km on it compared to the 90,000 km my OEM shocker has seen (it's a shocker of a shock... POS)... the spring rate's the same which ideally I would upgrade to a 19-20kg spring but there must be a massive improvement as is (wonder if internals should be swapped out for such a big difference in spring rate)... was also thinking of going 0,95 up front (Sonic Spings), but don't know if they're progressive or not and whether I'll have to get custom spacers made up... so many questions...

I've managed to compile all this data after spending several hours viewing thread after thread:

SPRING RATES

VFR800 = 15.3kg/mm

CBR929 = 15.3kg/mm +/- mismo recorrido 57mm Vs 58mm

CBR954 = 14.6kg/mm

CBR XX = 16.8kg/mm

BOLT REQUIRED

5th gen = 10mm x 110-115mm grind head down for clearance (probably so for VTEC as well????)

EYE-TO-EYE LENGTH OF SHOCKS (different data according to original posters)

5th gen = 325mm

VTEC = 316mm / 317.5mm

CBR929 = 286mm / 288mm / 287mm

CBR954 = 282mm

4th gen = 324mm / 325mm

SPACER

5th gen = 42mm + 1 or 2 shims (1mm thick??)

4th gen = 41.5 mm

Honda adjuster wrench for 929: Part no: 89202-KY1-700

But I really need the data for the VTEC :blush:

If I remember right I think member JamieDaugherty recommends a stiffer spring for the 929 in the 4th gen, send him a PM as he is very familiar with this swap

If I remember right I think member JamieDaugherty recommends a stiffer spring for the 929 in the 4th gen, send him a PM as he is very familiar with this swap

Thanks...

BR, didn't you end up slapping on a 929 shock on your VTECker??

Archived