My M1 tire early review

Baileyrock

Well I spooned on a set of M1's last week putting 400 extra miles on the rear before mounting the new front.

In general these tires feel pretty good so far with light turn-in, good grip(dry) and predictable feel, BUT with only 750 normal miles (for me) on the rear it's showing to worst wear of any tire I've ever run. If I get one more full day(400 miles) out of it I will be surprised. Now the front with 350 miles on it shows little wear, just wearing of the molding tits on todays ride.

I will Not purchase another M1 with this wear rate even at $170 a set. I may try the new M3 in the near future to see how they work. Pilot Powers will be ordered again for sure.

Here's the rear M1 with 750 miles.

gallery_301_21_53755.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

New M1 with 750 miles, almost toast!

• Member Contributer

I would say I am a more average rider and I have 3500 on my powers and still using them. maybe another 1K left for sure.

Yep, M1 good sticky tire but yes they wear awful fast, especially the rear. Looking forward to trying the new M3's.

Yes, there advertising twice the mileage over M1 with the M3's. 3000 miles from a rear would be awesome! wink.gif

Roger that, TOASTED my M1 rear at Suches Tuesday, 60N mostly. Really crappy lifespan; I have to buy a new tire now. Which sucks, because I just bought an M1 front a month ago...

Isn't the M1 the same carcass and compound as the Pirelli Diablo Corsa?

• Member Contributer
Yes, there advertising twice the mileage over M1 with the M3's. 3000 miles from a rear would be awesome! wink.gif

My set of M3s are shipping out today and I should get them mounted in 2 weeks or so. I seem to remember M1 rears lasting about 2K miles to the cords, and since then I have been using Pilot Roads and getting about 4.5K miles on a rear.

• Member Contributer

Minor hijack: Has anybody tried the new version of the Conti Attack series? They look interesting, and had a couple of decent Euro-press reviews, but I've seen nothing on them on this side of the pond yet.

Roger that, TOASTED my M1 rear at Suches Tuesday, 60N mostly. Really crappy lifespan; I have to buy a new tire now. Which sucks, because I just bought an M1 front a month ago...

Isn't the M1 the same carcass and compound as the Pirelli Diablo Corsa?

Don't know about the Corsa/M1. I think the Z6/Strada do share it though. The Corsa is the Top rated sport tire period and will out wear the M1 too. :goofy:

Have you tried the Pilot Powers, they will easily match or exceed the M1's grip(wet & dry) and out last them too!

• Member Contributer
Don't know about the Corsa/M1.  I think the Z6/Strada do share it though. The Corsa is the Top rated sport tire period and will out wear the M1 too. :goofy:

Have you tried the Pilot Powers, they will easily match or exceed the M1's grip(wet & dry) and out last them too!

Bailey, when are you going to try out some Dunlop Qualifiers and write a review? smile.gif

Bailey, when are you going to try out some Dunlop Qualifiers and write a review??? smile.gif

Never been a big fan of Dunlop Sport tires for my type of riding. I used 6-8 sets of 207's which were a great/cheap dry grip tire, but they Sucked Big time in wet conditions which I'm always getting caught in. I now enjoy wet riding cond. after finding tires that will allow amazing lean angles and good speed in rain/wet conditions.

I pretty much only use Sport rated not Sport Touring type tires because I feel a Big difference in grip between the two in my riding style. Once I found that different tires could offer much better wet grip I will never go back to a tire that can't provide excellent Wet & Dry grip unless it's just a track day tire.

My experience and most tire test show Dunlops at the bottom of wet grip, so that will keep me from trying them again.

The best tire I've ever used are the standard Diablo's with exceptional wet & dry grip (road use) , they provided me the highest confidence level I've ever experienced in any condition period ! The Pilot Power are a close second, providing aprox. 95% on the confidence level, great turn in and they maintain profile on the front better than any other tire I've used. They are off a little in wet grip, offering very good grip just off the Diablo slightly. The main reason I'm running Power's is that they last aprox. 10-20% longer than the Diablo's.

Ride On Viffer's. :goofy:

PS both the Diablo and Power will grip great right down to the cords!

This is a Power with aprox. 2250 miles on it.

gallery_301_21_11891.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

shop-garage 007.jpg

Hey Baileyrock how did you like the Diablo Strada's? I just picked up a rear with the free front tire deal. I had planned on the Diablo's, but free front...hell yea!

Hey Baileyrock how did you like the Diablo Strada's? I just picked up a rear with the free front tire deal. I had planned on the Diablo's, but free front...hell yea!

I like the Strada's, they just start to loose a small amount of grip as there wear when pushed hard, where as the standard Diablo does not. Most people won't ever notice it though.

I think I only got an extra 200-300 miles out of a rear Strada over the straight Diablo so it wasn't worth it to me with the loss of grip. :beer:

Archived