Suspension ordered

teleskier

• Member Contributer

Well my Ohlins 46HRCS is on the way and my appt. with Phil at Aftershocks is set.

Phil and Ohlins recommended the 19.3kg spring for me at 260lbs and 1.05 front springs.

What do you all think of that? Will that be good for "sport touring" maintaining some plushness without jarring me to death?

• Member Contributer

WHAT'S THIS? someone else wants handling over a loud pipe? are you my twin. i weigh 260# and at 6'3" my y2k feels mushy. went to lees service and ordered a penske shock and new fork springs. they are going to install and do setup for me personally. my settings will be for SPORT/touring, he said i will hate the hard ride at first, but the bike and i will both "settle in" and be amazed at the bikes new abilities. hope to hear how yours comes out and the total bill. RIDE BETTER not louder! :P

Yea, please let us know how it turns out. I'm 6'1" and 250 and I'm now starting to crave an upgraded suspension. I'm dying to get this done. I'm thinking either an Ohlins or WP. Haven't made up my mind yet. How long does the work at Aftershock take? I don't wanna cut into riding season too much. :D

Yea, please let us know how it turns out.  I'm 6'1" and 250 and I'm now starting to crave an upgraded suspension.  I'm dying to get this done. I'm thinking either an Ohlins or WP.  Haven't made up my mind yet. How long does the work at Aftershock take?  I don't wanna cut into riding season too much.  :D

They took 2 weeks on mine and I'm 4-5 day shipping away!

• Member Contributer

I live just a few hours from Aftershocks and they are doing my forks in one day. they said normal turnaround right now is 2-3 day for them.

Total cost for them to remove and replace forks, rebuild them plus what I paid for my Ohlins will be $1130.00

• Member Contributer

Well my Ohlins arrived today. All I can say is what a beautiful piece of work that is. I don't know if I can wait three weeks to get it on or not but I have to. Even if I put it on now the forks would be mush in comparison so I don't think I would appreciate it. Guess I will have to wait. In the meantime, I can sit back and look at it...!!

• Member Contributer

Can someone with the Ohlins that has remote preload and reservoir post pics of the installation so I can see how you routed everything. I am considering just putting my preload under the seat since I never ride two up and it will be a set it and forget it. Also no one will be able to just walk by and turn it on me.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer
I live just a few hours from Aftershocks and they are doing my forks in one day. they said normal turnaround right now is 2-3 day for them.

Total cost for them to remove and replace forks, rebuild them plus what I paid for my Ohlins will be $1130.00

suspension done! well it was done on saturday, but i was out of town. monday rained. tuesday rained but sun popped out so i brought it home. mine is a y2k so i don't expect there is much difference in what was done. i got the same fork springs at 1.05 but i got a penske two way shock at $715 plus installation. the ride it in and ride it out total was $1163.34. i realize this is way out for married guys with kids, or riders that commute only. i do commute some but i ride the hills as the priorty and plan to do a track day or two, anyway how do you say ROAD FEEL nicely. i guess you don't and the ride is not harsh but definately different. as they say the proof is in the pudding, so i will find out this weekend.

suspension was done at LEE'S CYCLE SERVICE on aero drive in san diego,ca. the best customer service i have ever had!

i think teleskier said his was to be done in just a few days so vfrd may get the benefit of a mod on two different models about the same time. :goofy:

suspension done! well it was done on saturday, but i was out of town. monday rained. tuesday rained but sun popped out so i brought it home. mine is a y2k so i don't expect there is much difference in what was done. i got the same fork springs at 1.05 but i got a penske two way shock at $715 plus installation. the ride it in and ride it out total was $1163.34. i realize this is way out for married guys with kids, or riders that commute only. i do commute some but i ride the hills as the priorty and plan to do a track day or two, anyway how do you say ROAD FEEL nicely. i guess you don't and the ride is not harsh but definately different. as they say the proof is in the pudding, so i will find out this weekend.

suspension was done at LEE'S CYCLE SERVICE on aero drive in san diego,ca. the best customer service i have ever had!

i think teleskier said his was to be done in just a few days so vfrd may get the benefit of a mod on two different models about the same time. :goofy:

Chuck, we'll have to run up Palomar and test them out. As I mentioned to you at Cycle Gear when we bumped into eachother, I am interested in doing the same thing

-Isaac

• Member Contributer

yes I get my fork springs and revalved as well as my ohlins 46HRCS done this Saturday. Probaby won't be able to ride it as it is going to be pouring but I can keep my fingers crossed.

Seems to be an epidemic. I too am having mine done and should have the fronts back this week. I thought about shipping down to Aftershocks, but we have a great company up here, GP Suspension, which does alot of the AMA guys as well as having tons of experience on VFRs. Plus, they are always out at the track days here and will give me support there. :-) Still waiting for my rear shock to show up, but it's looking like it's gonna be a great summer!!!!

Before you spend money on replacing fork valves just do springs & change to 15 weight oil (most people can do this themselfs) if you find front alittle soft for spring preload you like.

The rear well there is no dought the aftermarket option is best, but I have had my standard shock reworked for next to nothing & I have no real problem with rear of vtec (I do have a Wilbers on my 750).

• Member Contributer

The bike is back from Aftershocks. The trailer worked great, the trip down was a bit wet with all the rain we have been having but Saturday dawned sunny and warm (atleast for my standards). Phil arrived at 9 a.m. just as he said, the bike was unloaded and the work began.

gallery_4651_468_56656.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

the place.jpg

gallery_4651_468_15261.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

hookin her up.jpg

gallery_4651_468_16397.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

Rear goods.jpg

gallery_4651_468_104006.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

assemble the rear.jpg

gallery_4651_468_60622.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

almost done.jpg

gallery_4651_468_31463.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

the mascot.jpg

Total job time was about 3 hours for forks (springs and revalve) and rear shock. Then of course we had the initial setting of pre- load, and baseline compression and rebound. Lets just say it only took one attempt by Phil at settings and the preload was spot on and the other setting felt amazing. Not even like the same bike.

Once it stops raining (maybe next year) I can get out and really put some miles on it to test the compression and rebound on my favorite set of twisties but it reacts well initially.

What Phil did was install 1.0 front springs, re valved the forks for me, matching to the rear spring. He has this new spring dyno where he can work magic and get things dialed in perfect. He is doing some great work on race cars now too.

Anyway, all in all very happy with the Phil at Aftershocks and the work he did.

Maybe one day they'll open an office in Washington D.C. so us east coasters can enjoy the benefits of a quality suspension shop.

• Member Contributer

my maiden ride on the new suspension starts in an hour! i rode the bike home from the shop a week ago (40miles) and it has been parked from rain and cold. lucky for me i am riding with a newbie so i have an excuse to take it easy! mt. palomar here we come! :P

Archived