In Helmet walkie talkie???

Guest DIzingS2k5

Guest DIzingS2k5

Hey guys,

Me and my Dad are looking for an in helmet walkie talkie type of deal.

The only thing is, we want it for riders on seperate bikes, not like the Goldwing where only the people on the Goldwing can talk to eachother.

We want seperate headsets in our helmets that will allow us to talk to eachother on the road.. within say a 1 mile radius..

whats out there??? What options do we have?

thanks,

Dustin

I have used the chatterbox system with pretty good success. It was an excellent learning device when I started riding. Your not limited to the number of users. We usually stayed pretty close together, so I'm not sure of the range. Mine is 5yrs old, may have more advanced models now.

Check out the website.

http://www.hjc-chatterbox.com/

Good Luck,

Nancy

I used to have a chatterbox, but sold it because I purchased a cobra 40 channel CB. It works very well for communicating between bikes and only cost around $140 with a headset and push to talk button. I then added a motocomm audioboss so that my passenger and I could communicate, with the bonus of the passenger also having a push to talk, where they could communicate with other riders also, instead of just with me. It also gave me the versatility of being able to patch in a Mp3 or a CD player and also a cell phone at the same time which will cut out all other electronics and allow me to communicate through the cellphone if I get a call.

Don't worry guy's its not distracting at all it auto answers and its just like talking to your passenger while riding. I believe the audioboss cost around $150 and there are other units available from other manufacturers which allow you to do the same thing, this was just the cheapest that I found. The only drawback that I've found is the windnoise when traveling at higher speeds which makes it difficult for others to hear me speaking clearly. Maybe a quieter helmet will help.

• 2 months later...
The only drawback that I've found is the windnoise when traveling at higher speeds which makes it difficult for others to hear me speaking clearly. Maybe a quieter helmet will help.

Hi Seadooloo,

can you give an estimate of the max speed where it is still possible to hear eachother ? Is this only concerning bike-to-bike, or also bike-to-pillion ?

Greetz from Holland, also looking for an AFFORDABLE solution smile.gif

DaSuperGrover

The only thing is, we want it for riders on seperate bikes, not like the Goldwing where only the people on the Goldwing can talk to eachother.

Goldwings use CB, so they can talk to truckers and anybody else with a CB. Sounds like your looking for walkie talkies that use the FRS or GMRS. I would personally go for CB.

I forget who it is that makes it, but somewhere I saw headset for a helmet that plugged directly into a Kenwood FRS radio. it didn't allow any other inputs other then the radio.

I'll see if I can dig it up. they were pretty cheap IIRC

I like the chatterbox's. The range seems to be better than on the separate FRS units. Probably because of the high antenna. I also don't like loads of cords to disconnect everytime I dismount.

Archived