5th gen. rear rack and trunk on the cheap

kwb377

• Member Contributer

A few months ago I scored a Renntec rack off eBay for $45, and last week got a "Givi wannabe" trunk from there as well for $55.

Rack auction: http://tinyurl.com/99kj4

Renntec rack with trunk mounting plate:

54004992.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

54004995.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

Trunk mounted:

54004996.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

I went a little overboard with the reflective tape. :D

Trunk measures 16"l x 18"w x 12"h, and has a small rubber backrest attached. It is key lockable, and has a quick-release button to detach it from the mounting plate.

54004997.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

54004998.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

Quality isn't up to Givi, etc. standards, but for about $100 (and for as little as I'll probably use it) it should do fine.

• Member Contributer

A few months ago I scored a Renntec rack off eBay for $45, and last week got a "Givi wannabe" trunk from there as well for $55.

Great minds think alike! I did the same thing a few months back, except I got the smaller trunk. Very functional and has served me well so far. As a bonus, it came in "flat black" which matched my factory asphault paint pretty well.

gallery_4571_429_77664.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

Rear Luggage.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Does the mounting effect your handling at all?

I like the set up but I am concerned w/ what seems like a high center of gravity of the case.

Thanks in advance for your answers.

filterfool

• Member Contributer

I haven't had mine really loaded yet to notice any handling difference, but I'm expecting it'll have some affect.

Does the mounting effect your handling at all?

I like the set up but I am concerned w/ what seems like a high center of gravity of the case.

Thanks in advance for your answers.

filterfool

I've run with a GIVI top box for over 2 years. It adds just the right amount of capacity without radically changing handling. The one I've got can hold one full face helmet with some additional room for rainpants and a few tools. It is narrow enough to be well within the air turbulence created by my body.

Given that I commute year round, rain or shine, having 'on bike' storage that is dry and relatively secure has been a big plus. I use it much more than I expected.

Davy

kwb377 & VifferPilot,

I also have a Renntec rack on my 5th gen and have used the Renntec soft bag designed for it while touring with considerable success, but wouldn't mind having a hardshell topbox.

From the pics it looks like the "Givi wannabe" topboxes are a good fit for the Rennetc rack. Are they a sturdy and secure attachment? Any problems in fitting?

kwb377,

Can you stash a riding suit, in my case in size 42 two piece 'stich, in the topbox when empty?

I am such a tourist.....

Regards,

VFR_ATL

• Member Contributer
From the pics it looks like the "Givi wannabe" topboxes are a good fit for the Rennetc rack.? Are they a sturdy and secure attachment? Any problems in fitting?

Can you stash a riding suit, in my case in size 42 two piece 'stich, in the topbox when empty?

Fit is great. The mounting plate attaches like it was made for the Renntec (which is refreshing for me...I usually don't have good luck with "universal fit" stuff :joystick: ). The box attaches to the mount securely, but the top half (lid) flexes just abit when leaning against the backrest (which make sit feel like the box is moving).

As far as packing the 'stitch, I haven't loaded that much into it yet but I think with some judicious rolling/folding it could probably be crammed in there.

• Member Contributer
oh man you guys are brutal.  i just order the top case and a renntec rack for my '02 from http://www.revsperformance.com/renntec/sports_racks.htm 

well, i had nooooo plans of adding a topcase until i read this post.... :goofy:

i think i'm goinna luv it! :beer:

Damn, you just got their last one. Mine is on backorder.

Guy mentioned that was the fastest back to back order for one of these ever.

• Member Contributer
I haven't had mine really loaded yet to notice any handling difference, but I'm expecting it'll have some affect.

I mounted mine on the bike figuring that I would mostly leave it off, but then put it on for the occaisional "honey do's" and milk runs... but I found just the opposite. I mostly leave it on because I can't even tell that it is back there and I love having the storage area. It makes the bike much more useful to me instead of being just a play thing!

I have been scouring E-Bay for a rack for my VTEC

No Luck at all. I can't swallow spending $150 on a Ventura

Some thing closer to $100 would be great, although cheaper the better

Even thinking of buying something similar and making it work.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Thanks for pointing out the Mock Givi stuff

My commute to work just tripled, so I will need more storage.

Gotta get a rack first though

• Member Contributer

105.50 for a renntec rack from rev perf. see my post above for the addy, but i think they are backordered...

i just got them in, but the day my rack and topcase got in i had to go on vacation! i just got in from some surfing in so cal. heading to baja tomorrow, but with out the vfr sad.gif

• 3 weeks later...

:thumbsup: Thanks for the information and address of Rev Performance, I just ordered a Renntec Rack. I'm sure it will come in handy for weekend getaways this season!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer
:thumbsup: Thanks for the information and address of Rev Performance, I just ordered a Renntec Rack.  I'm sure it will come in handy for weekend getaways this season!

I just ordered a Renntec on Rev's performance as well. He said the response because of this messageboard has been huge. May be HS should get a cut out of his sales.

BTW, Liqudize - whoa... thats one wierd looking baby as your avatar. What have you done to that pic?

-Prasadee

• Member Contributer
Did you get your Renntec rack?

-Prasadee

I still haven't got mine that I ordered end of January. Got an email response from them saying it should be another week or so...

ETA: Just got a shipping notification, should arrive Monday via UPS.

• Member Contributer

If anyone is worried that mounting a top box (GIVI or lookalike) on a rear carrier might effective handling and you only ride one up have a look at this thread started by Kanadian Ken.

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.p...ndpost&p=192631

I scored a GIVI V46 Top Box off ebay and I am having a local fabrication shop built me a set of brackets from the pattern Ken supplied for me.

If you need to ride two up, you can always revert to Rennteck or similar type of rack in less than 5 minutes, but for me having the extra weight over the rear wheel rather than floating behind the bike makes sense. If I do ride two up, I don't tend to ride as aggressively and extra weight behind the bike isn't much of an issue.

• Member Contributer
Hey:

Is there any additional information on how to source the 'Givi Wannabe' top case?

Cheers  :beer:

I got mine from this ebay seller - Cool Gear

Here is the ebay link.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...Y_BIN_Stores_IT

-Prasadee

• 2 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Will the Renntec rack work with the OEM hardbags?

gallery_4571_429_77664.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

Anybody know how best to carry additional gear when the saddles & trunk r full, & a passenger is on board as well. I called Givi & they dont know of any rack made for the OEM trunk. Someone suggested strapping things on top of the saddle bags.

Todd

• Member Contributer
Anybody know how best to carry additional gear when the saddles & trunk r full, & a passenger is on board as well. I called Givi & they dont know of any rack made for the OEM trunk. Someone suggested strapping things on top of the saddle bags.

Todd

Trailer time. Either the bike on a trailer, or a trailer for the bike.

• Member Contributer

And for those of you considering purchase of the ebay top case:

P3190143.JPG border='0' alt='user posted image' />

P3190144.JPG border='0' alt='user posted image' />

P3190145.JPG border='0' alt='user posted image' />

P3190146.JPG border='0' alt='user posted image' />

Small bump, empty trunk, less than 100 miles using the trunk. I left that POS in the drainage ditch and ordered a Givi the next day. Remember these pictures as you put all your clothes for the trip, your wallet, your laptop, etc in your case wink.gif

• Member Contributer

Someone posted that the Jeikal trunks were coming with metal mounting plates now.

I use bungie nets to strap add'l misc. crap to my saddlebags or trunk. :thumbsup:

Why are these things so high and mounted so far back?!?

They look as though they could've easily been made lower and further forward.

Are the Givi racks any better in this regard?

Archived