5th gen. rear rack and trunk on the cheap

kwb377

• Member Contributer
Why are these things so high and mounted so far back?!?

They look as though they could've easily been made lower and further forward.

Are the Givi racks any better in this regard?

I'm disappointed in you Enzed, after your recent trip, where would the Porcupine sit if the case was any further forward? There is such a thing as TOO close!

Ernie

• Member Contributer
Anybody know how best to carry additional gear when the saddles & trunk r full, & a passenger is on board as well. I called Givi & they dont know of any rack made for the OEM trunk. Someone suggested strapping things on top of the saddle bags.

Todd

Givi makes a tubular rack that mounts to the top of most any of their topcases, if you have their three case setup. That would be the one most commonly referred to as the "trunk". But it is just that, like a frame you can strap things on. No protection from the elements. Check their website under "Accessories".

Ernie

Guest cexley

FYI

The new and improved Cheapo Top Box from CoolGear,

Now has a metal base plate, so the fracturing of the tab,

per above post, should no longer be an issue.

It is the sole selling point for my recent purchase

of said Cheapo Top box. I am very happy with it.

Renntec Rack and CoolGear Top box ......$200 shipped to my door

• Member Contributer

FWIW, the metal strip that goes beneath the mounting plate decided to call it a day. It got bent (dont know why/when) after a couple months service. I used to carry a reasonably expensive laptop from work in the cheapo box. I am a software Engineer, and the laptop damage can cause some damage to my professional life.

I ordered a motopak magnetic laptop tank bag. This way my precious little laptop can sit in front of my eyes, and give me the peace of mind.

• Member Contributer
Will the Renntec rack work with the OEM hardbags?

Yes. The Renntec rack bolts down over the top of the factory hardbag mounting frame... however, I had to buy longer bolts from the local hardware store to make it work.

And for those of you considering purchase of the ebay top case:

Small bump, empty trunk, less than 100 miles using the trunk. I left that POS in the drainage ditch and ordered a Givi the next day. Remember these pictures as you put all your clothes for the trip, your wallet, your laptop, etc in your caseĀ  wink.gif

Sorry to hear about your trunk rack breaking, but It depends which case you get. There are several brands and suppliers available. Mine has a metal loop that that bolts down though a metal doubler on the back side of the plastic rack. The trunk secures to the loop / u-bolt where yours had a plastic catch. Very doubtful mine will break over any bump, unless it is way overloaded. The best advise is to do a little research before you buy. I was lucky, but if I did have any problems, the dealer that I bought mine through is no longer around. Typical of eBay!

Archived