'98 FI code 23?

Hello all, 

New owner/member here so please excuse if this was already discussed in a different topic(didn't see one a first glance).

I have a 98 model(Europe) which I bought 2 months ago, last night when changing the dashboard bulbs to LED I noticed that the FI bulb was missing and I swapped that with the HiBeam one.

Lo and behold FI code pops in: 2 long flashing 3 short ones(which should be 23?). According to the service manual(gen V)here there isn't a corresponding code to that but searching for that Honda code online shows that it's an O2 heater issue, which my by doesn't have.

The bike runs ok-ish, although it's a bit sluggish under 3k RPM. Any ideas are more than welcome.

• Member Contributer

The VFR does run sluggishly below 3k anyway. I'd suggest clearing the fault register and seeing if the fault comes back.

Thanks, Terry, I tried yesterday to clear the error but they came back.

Investigating further I've noticed that the ECU has a different following PN: 38770-MBG-611  which according to this topic

is for a German/Anniversary edition which does have the O2 sensors. I would try to do a O2 delete but I need to know what are the pins for those sensors.

If anyone has the pinout diagram of the ECU I would try to do the o2 delete on the ECU connector.

• Member Contributer

Does your investigation imply that the original ECU has been replaced. If so, would fitting a correct ECU be a better option. I only suggest that as there may be other parameters that were changed in the GE anniversary edition?

• Like 1

• Member Contributer
On 6/8/2024 at 7:22 PM, CaptPLG said:

Lo and behold FI code pops in: 2 long flashing 3 short ones(which should be 23?). According to the service manual(gen V)here there isn't a corresponding code to that but searching for that Honda code online shows that it's an O2 heater issue, which my by doesn't have.

For Info - The Service Manual has a Typo error and lists a DTC of 24 instead of the correct code of 23. The Reference of Page 5-52 is for the correct Code 23. See attached.

Screenshot_20240611_163446_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 6/10/2024 at 2:54 PM, Presson said:

Does your investigation imply that the original ECU has been replaced. If so, would fitting a correct ECU be a better option. I only suggest that as there may be other parameters that were changed in the GE anniversary edition?

Yup, it turns out that it was replaced.

However I managed to fix it by doing the O2 sensor delete mod, this was done by adding a wire between pins A17->B8 with a couple of 330Ohms resistors in parallel. This tricks the ECU into believing the O2 sensor heater is present and doesn't trigger an FI error. The bike runs fine and from what I've read in other forums the O2 sensors for this model are only used when going at a constant speed for better fuel economy(closed loop).

I will look for a replacement ECU just to keep things stock and for the fact that this is a bike I might keep for a while 🙂

On 6/11/2024 at 9:39 AM, Grum said:

For Info - The Service Manual has a Typo error and lists a DTC of 24 instead of the correct code of 23. The Reference of Page 5-52 is for the correct Code 23. See attached.

Screenshot_20240611_163446_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Thank you! This is very good info, I was confused by the missing error code.