Wiring questions

Hi, in the process of fixing up a 99 vfr. I've had to replace the wiring loom which was supplied with the bike when I bought it as it had an electrical fire and pretty well cooked the old one! Looking at the diagram, is there any reason for the oe regulator to have 4 DC outputs as it seems to just go into two wires anyway? Only reason I ask is it needs replacing and I had a spare 5 wire regulator in the shed already!

And I can't see any reason why it'd be a problem but the loom I was supplied appears to be for a 99 on with connectors for lambda sensors (which mine doesn't have). Other than the plug for the ignition barrel being different, are there any problems I may run into with the newer loom?

Thanks

Cameron 

• Member Contributer

From my experience, 5th gen R/R's from the factory were suspect - mine didn't make it to 10,000 miles before giving stray voltage output.  Declining voltage as rpm increased was one of the symptoms.  Regardless of whether you use the one you have in the shed, I'd be inclined to replace it.

I had read posts saying about dodgy regulators, although tbf I also have an aprilia so I'm quite used to electrical faults lol. Just out of curiosity really, why some regulators have 4 outputs and some have two. And the honda seems to have 4 that join together anyway to give you 2, just seemed odd.

• Member Contributer
37 minutes ago, Cameron said:

I had read posts saying about dodgy regulators, although tbf I also have an aprilia so I'm quite used to electrical faults lol. Just out of curiosity really, why some regulators have 4 outputs and some have two. And the honda seems to have 4 that join together anyway to give you 2, just seemed odd.

Nothing more complex than just being able to supply minimal voltage drop Power output by using two smaller, more flexible cables each for both 12v and Ground, rather than a singular heavy gauge cable for each, makes for easier smaller standard sized interconecting spade connections within the plugs/sockets I guess.

The 5th Black wire you mentioned (which I  think is from an R/R for 6gens). Is a Voltage Sense feedback wire. 

I suspect the reason for the '4 DC outputs' are due to the fact that one pair (plus and ground) is used for charging the battery and the other pair is used for powering the bikes power consumers.

If there was only on pair (thus '2 DC outputs') from the regulator/rectifyer, it would be less straightforward to result in 2 pairs (which both have their own fuses and fuse values). 

• Member Contributer
7 hours ago, Worfje said:

I suspect the reason for the '4 DC outputs' are due to the fact that one pair (plus and ground) is used for charging the battery and the other pair is used for powering the bikes power consumers.

If there was only on pair (thus '2 DC outputs') from the regulator/rectifyer, it would be less straightforward two result in 2 pairs (which both have their own fuses and fuse values). 

No Sir!

Not when you look at the wiring diagram.

The four wires become a normal two wire configuration beyond the 4P connector. The single 12v wire then goes to the battery, protected by the one fuse, Main Fuse B 30amp.

20240324_082218.jpg

• Like 2

The schematic gives the impression is 'merges' and 'splits', but I assume this is a (misleading) simplification in the drawing. 

It just wouldn't make sense to merge and split and is also connector-wise / wire-wise unpractical.

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Worfje said:

The schematic gives the impression is 'merges' and 'splits', but I assume this is a (misleading) simplification in the drawing. 

It just wouldn't make sense to merge and split and is also connector-wise / wire-wise unpractical.

Again, No Sir........

The schematic doesn't mislead! The R/R output definetly ends up with ONE 12v line and ONE Ground line. The two R/R outputs are not set up as one to feed the battery and another to feed electrical services! Power distribution all begins with Main Fuse A 30amp and Main Fuse B 30amp, both effectively supplied by battery and the single R/R output. Perhaps in other bikes the dual output wires Might be configured as you say, I'm only familiar with the VFR.

The 4P plug arrangement is basically the same for both 5th and 6gen ( appart from the additional voltage sense wire for the 6gen using a 6P plug). The 4P plug is the easy point of disconnecting the R/R from the main wire harness. Having the two grounds and two power wires makes for a better load share throught the spade connectors and makes use of a standard plug with same size spade connections.

The main problem with the 4P connector (and the 3phase AC input connector) over time is due to moisture ingress, corrosion and ulitmately high resistance joints, hard wiring can be the best alternative once a good non oem R/R is fitted.

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

It could have been an effort on the part of Honda to split the load passing through the terminals? 

That would have been a lot cheaper than upgrading to a half-decent OEM reg/rec, so you can see why they might have tried it... :wink:

Ciao,

JZH