Finding things and needing answers

Today I had a spare half hour so I changed the left headlight bulb as it had blown. Thanks again you guys for help with that.

1. But I found 2 wires hanging from the left switch assembly and no idea what they are for. Everything on the switch works fine too.

2. Random cut ring terminals above the expansion tank

3. Need a cowling for the Speedo assembly, is this something that can be gotten with out the clocks?

4. Is there anywhere to get a full set of fairing bolts with rubber washers or is it best just to make something up. I'd like them all matching as I go through this bike piece by piece and make it right.

5. Looks like old oil all over the sump but couldn't see any leaks anywhere. Is there a 'normal' place to look for oil leaks on these babies?

Thank you again for any responses. I just made 1 post instead of 4/5 as not to clog up the thread feed with my questions 

20240303_164115.jpg

20240303_164100.jpg

20240303_144902.jpg

20240303_144323.jpg

20240303_144412.jpg

• Member Contributer

The spare wires look like the clutch switch wire, and I see that you don't have the original clutch master so that would be why. The clutch switch is usually needed if you want to start the bike in gear.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Terry said:

The spare wires look like the clutch switch wire, and I see that you don't have the original clutch master so that would be why. The clutch switch is usually needed if you want to start the bike in gear.

Thank you Terry. Didn't know that. I noticed today when I put the kick stand down whilst in first, it cut off. Makes sense now

• Member Contributer
22 minutes ago, weerab said:

Thank you Terry. Didn't know that. I noticed today when I put the kick stand down whilst in first, it cut off. Makes sense now

The oil leak is quite impressive but also looks to have been ongoing for a while so probably not major, just persistant. I would start looking at the oil filter in that area, the other spot would be the cam cover gaskets; these can fall out of place when being refitted, or the half-moons didn't get any sealant as they should, or the gasket might not be clamped enough to seal. Don't be tempted just to crank more torque onto the hold-down bolts for these, they thread into the head casting and that easily snaps. You might need to replace the rubber washers under the hold-down bolts as these compress with age and don't apply enough clamping force to the gasket. Another possibility in the same area is the gasket around the spark plug tunnel  if that is not seated properly, oil can leak into the plug well and then out of drains under the heads. Not sure there is any other common oil leak point, but given you are in the UK with salted roads, corrosion on the oil cooler lines is something to consider. 

• Like 1

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, weerab said:

When in gear, if you lower the Sidestand the engine will shutdown, this is normal and not dependent on the clutch switch.

As Terry mentioned. Without the clutch switch you will not be able to do an in gear start with the Sidestand Up and clutch pulled in. It will not crank over. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Terry said:

The oil leak is quite impressive but also looks to have been ongoing for a while so probably not major, just persistant. I would start looking at the oil filter in that area, the other spot would be the cam cover gaskets; these can fall out of place when being refitted, or the half-moons didn't get any sealant as they should, or the gasket might not be clamped enough to seal. Don't be tempted just to crank more torque onto the hold-down bolts for these, they thread into the head casting and that easily snaps. You might need to replace the rubber washers under the hold-down bolts as these compress with age and don't apply enough clamping force to the gasket. Another possibility in the same area is the gasket around the spark plug tunnel  if that is not seated properly, oil can leak into the plug well and then out of drains under the heads. Not sure there is any other common oil leak point, but given you are in the UK with salted roads, corrosion on the oil cooler lines is something to consider. 

Cheers for this. Greatly appreciated.

More stripping down this weekend to find the cause 

22 hours ago, Grum said:

When in gear, if you lower the Sidestand the engine will shutdown, this is normal and not dependent on the clutch switch.

As Terry mentioned. Without the clutch switch you will not be able to do an in gear start with the Sidestand Up and clutch pulled in. It will not crank over. 

Ah right. Gotcha. Thank you