85 VFR 750 Silencers

OLDMXR

Hi all.

I bought an 86 VFR 750 and an 89 VFR 400 last week at the Mecum auction in Las Vegas. The 750 has Super Trapp cans on it and I expect it will be approaching obnoxiously loud. Even if it's not loud they're kind of ugly. I won't see the bikes for about a month and I'm hoping to get a head start on what cans or exhaust I can install that looks better and is not overly loud. I'd go for an OEM takeoff connected to a new Delkevik or whatever (hopefully) comes out of this discussion. 

These bikes are going to my cabin on Great River Road in Northern MN on the Mississippi River. There's no cars, trucks or texters, just deer and turkeys to slam into ! We go for short cruises, 1/2 day or probably less than 200 miles, 2 or 3 times / year so I don't want to spend a lot and I'd like to avoid changing the entire exhaust on a 38 yr old bike. (But I will if needed.) 

These are my first Honda road bikes and I know nothing about them. I think the OEM system was a 4-2-1 that exited on the right side and someone put an aftermarket 2-1 on it. Maybe someone can recognize the 2-1 system and provide some input on it. The attached are the only pictures of the exhaust that Mecum provided. I definitely want to upgrade the appearance and get the dB to a reasonable level. I don't care about HP / torque, any exhaust change I do won't change those that much and if we really want HP we'll sit on something else. There's 4 190-200 HP bikes to choose from for that, LOL ! 

I have no idea about the current jetting, history or storage practices of the previous owner(s) so I plan on removing the carbs to make sure they're clean and jetted for my elevation, new exhaust system, etc.

Any input will be greatly appreciated. 

OLDMXR

Left side.jpg

Right side.jpg

Right side 1.jpg

20210630_221046.jpg

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

The Supertrapp cans that I've owned have been some of my favorites, and I hate loud. 

Thanks for the input. I had Super Trapps on a Gen 1 Vmax (V4 !) and we didn't care for it. Do you think the dB level is not too crazy ?  Slightly louder than stock ?  

• Member Contributer

I know that VFR750F, it's got some very cool period parts on it.

You can always buy a set of Left & Right silencers of your choice and just use the connecting pipes.

Left-Tyga.thumb.JPG.0b0272cb04f8a3487f4c230534d96615.JPG

RT-Tyga.thumb.jpg.3da4259b9ec492e3e6f3ccd05887ccc1.jpg

• Member Contributer

The sound level on Supertrapps was adjustable by removing or adding discs. If it's too loud take some discs out.

• Member Contributer
2 minutes ago, jefferson said:

The sound level on Supertrapps was adjustable by removing or adding discs. If it's too loud take some discs out.

It also affects tuning, so if the bike is jetted up for mods it could run too rich if you start taking discs out.

48 minutes ago, Captain 80s said:

You can always buy a set of Left & Right silencers of your choice and just use the connecting pipes.

Thanks, this is what I was hoping for.  This looks simple, the cost will be reasonable and they probably come with jetting charts. I think the Super Trapp technology is old and not up to par with the current stuff. We were putting them on dirt bikes in the 70's or 80's but I don't care if it's old technology as long as it works. The disc concept is great for tuning but I'm on my own and don't want to start figuring out jetting from scratch - I don't have the time up there and our intended use doesn't justify it. I don't even know how or where one does a plug chop or verifies the main jet size on a highway bike with plugs you can't even see. (EGT gauges ?) On sleds we just go to the local lake and fly across the lake for a few seconds and stop and check the plug.  We won't get on the main jet very often but I don't want popping and all the associated risks and issues from a lean engine. Buying an exhaust "package" with reasonable well founded claims about sound, performance and fuel system mods from a reputable supplier is worth the cost to me. I also believe on modern 4 stroke toys unless you really open up the exhaust with all of the related tuning changes to take advantage of it, there's just not enough gain to justify the noise, cost and hassle. 

If the Super Trapps aren't too loud and jetting recommendations are available I could just get new ones. I like the looks of these TYGA's. The 400 has a set of TYGA CF cans, those are pretty ! 

Thoughts ? 

Left side 2.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Captain 80s said:

How do you know this bike ?

I couldn't afford not to buy it either - the hammer fell @ $ 1500 so I figured it's worth that with a bad engine - I can fix that !  

• Member Contributer

Maybe "know" isn't the best term.  The previous owner had posted about it during the time he owned it and rode it to a couple motorcycle events.  I was admiring the nice selection of period mods.  I would have bought it too.