Bought a "reliable" bike, to get to more riding.

Hi,

This summer got my full motorcycle license after already driving around on A2 (up to 35kW) bikes for around 10 years.

Just never got around to the extra exam and I didn't ride that much anyway while we bought a house.

I did have a Beemer K100 in the works for a few years already however.

And while that came to a point where it's engine could be started, i put in a little time and got the full license.

Getting that far, but not having the K100 anywhere  close to completion lead however...
To buying an extra bike, so i now have three in my garage.

The newest addition was a nice black VFR750 '94 RC36-2 with just 33.500 driven kilometers.

In some time the CB450S will have to free up some space, as it did make the garage a bit cramped.

I enjoy the smooth driving of the VFR a lot!

However i've also had some electrical issues in the first few weeks.

Left me stranded twice with a empty battery.

As that issue is well known, it was also easily fixed.

Just placed a FA020AA with a beefy cooling aluminum cooling block.

Added some spacers to the frame while it tends to get hot from the rear cilinders.

Replaced the stator wiring and connectors and got the output routed to the battery directly (fused).

At the moment i'm collecting some parts to service the bike and get it ready for when winter ends.

2034566458_AfbeeldingvanWhatsAppop2023-09-20om22_49.48(Klein).jpg.667f8d2bee5514a53ad718b0d2ce1d97.jpg.9e14e66f6365ab108d933f3831ef63fa.jpgNaamloos.thumb.jpeg.ee489e35bd2d9835f8c7d95da96f23eb.jpeg

• Like 5

• Member Contributer

"Replaced the stator wiring and connectors and got the output routed to the battery directly (fused)."

Did you check/measure the stator's internal reasistance over each pair of yellow wires and Vac output at idle and 5,000RPM (engine hot)?

• Thanks 1

Welcome to the forum! 🙂

Sorry to hear about the electrical issues with your VFR.  Once sorted however, they are usually rock-solid and very reliable bikes for many years.  Good luck getting yours back to full health!

• Like 1

Thanks for the welcome!

@Dutchy I did. Luckily nothing wrong with the stator.

Before the new regulator the charging voltage was 12.5 at 2000rpm and 13.6 at a high rev, if the lights where off.

After the mosfet regulator was swapped in, the voltage was a stable 14.53V. A high rev only followed by a short 0.01 increase in voltage

• Like 1

• Member Contributer
On 1/6/2024 at 11:33 PM, HertogJan said:

Thanks for the welcome!

@Dutchy I did. Luckily nothing wrong with the stator.

Before the new regulator the charging voltage was 12.5 at 2000rpm and 13.6 at a high rev, if the lights where off.

After the mosfet regulator was swapped in, the voltage was a stable 14.53V. A high rev only followed by a short 0.01 increase in voltage

You measured Vdc and that is ok. 

With the voltage regulator disconnected (the bike will start fine w/o it), measure the Vac (wisselstroom) output over each pairing of the 3 yellow wires). There should be no major delta in the readings.

I suggest you instal a small voltmeter. The actual reading is not that important, you will soon know what is "normal".   If and when the readings are 1- 2 volt "off", you know it is time to head home 🙂

• Like 1

On 1/7/2024 at 11:26 AM, Dutchy said:

You measured Vdc and that is ok. 

With the voltage regulator disconnected (the bike will start fine w/o it), measusre the Vac (wisselstroom) output over each pairing of the 3 yellow wires). there should be no major delata in the readings.

I suggest you instal a small voltmeter. the actual reading is not that important, you wil lsoon know what is "normal".   If and when the readings will be 1,2 volt of, you know it is time to head home 🙂

I measured resistance in Ohms across all stator spools actually.

Indeed haven't measured the resulting Vac, but the guilty part was quite clear while the old regulator was "bleeding"

The voltmeter is already bought, just not mounted yet.
I still have to 3d print or fabricate a bracket to mount it somewhere inconspicuous.
Am also thinking about getting some relays, switching them by a wire that's only high on ignition.
Those relays can then power the voltmeter with integrated usb charging and a possible future navigation system.

Might make a thread to document these changes, or look for a topic discussing (electrical) improvements.

• 5 weeks later...

Welcome...   good that you found the bleeding regulator...    Dutchy knows what he talks about on the little volt gauge. 

• Like 1