Custom Front End Query

Ughandi

• Member Contributer

Howdy VFRD!!

For all of you grease monkeys that have swapped front ends on their 5th gens (Forks, wheels, calipers, Custom triple clamps, rake angles, the works!), would you mind telling me about your setup? 

I'm looking for inspiration, but the rabbit hole goes deep, and I can no longer see the light.

Any tips on compatibility, desirable features, weight, and sourcing parts are welcome! Thanks!

• Member Contributer

(Roughly in order of importance) I'm looking for a good combination of adding lightness, adjustability and braking feel (Radial calipers, if possible)
Those super duke front ends would look radical on a 5th gen...

I'm somewhat aware that you know how to make triple clamps, Seb. Could you hit me with some reality of what I'm getting myself into here?

• Member Contributer

I used 6G triples and bars, CBR600F4i forks, CBR954 master and calipers, CBR600F4i fender, Racetech Gold Valves and 0.9kg/mm springs, stock wheel, discs and axles. All bolts right up, just needed to space the ignition lock down a few mm so the steering lock pin could engage the frame socket. All that was on my last VFR. My new one is stock except for the VTR1000F damper innards, Racetech parts and some raised bars.

The larger forks did make for a steadier feel and maybe less stiction (I think the bushings are better in the CBR fork).

IMG_0014.JPG

IMG_4263.jpg

• Member Contributer

This is my current bike. I painted the triple clamp myself, the bike got named Bumblebee by my kids. I have some preload adjuster knobs fitted just to tidy up the stock adjusters which were a little marred. They work well with the stock bars but the brake/clutch hose interfere on these raised bars.

Dash.jpg

On 8/16/2023 at 2:31 AM, Ughandi said:

(Roughly in order of importance) I'm looking for a good combination of adding lightness, adjustability and braking feel (Radial calipers, if possible)
Those super duke front ends would look radical on a 5th gen...

I'm somewhat aware that you know how to make triple clamps, Seb. Could you hit me with some reality of what I'm getting myself into here?

Pick whatever fully adjustable (non-linked brake) forks suit your fancy, get them on the bike, get them tuned by a good suspension shop + the rear to match, then spend $ on good braking components. Most importantly, a good radial master cylinder and ss lines. If that sounds expensive, you're right. lol But it's cheaper than buying a new bike. 

• Member Contributer

Muchos gracias for the replies, folks! 🥳

On 8/17/2023 at 9:43 AM, SEBSPEED said:

Most importantly, a good radial master cylinder

Oh I yearn for the day I have some of that... Ebay has many for cheap! (Of which I shall take advantage of)

Archived