5th gen COP / coil mod

gig

Question

• Member Contributer

Is there a conscious on what the best COP to use on a 5th gen. I had one leaking if thats the correct term, the current was jumping through the insulation when it shocked me, and wasn't firing the plug

I used " I dont remember the year" a CBR1000 wiring harness and COP's. They feel like they are just barely long enough to make contact with the plug and i dont have an external seal which i dont know if necessary but the COP are slightly rusting, i dont know if thats normal wear, or could have caused it to fail?

Any suggestions? 

3 answers to this question

• Member Contributer

Hey Gig, good to see you on here again. 

I used CBR1000RR 2007 ones, they are just the right length. Get a couple of 3-4mm ish O-rings (I forgot the actual size I used) to add just below the top to centralise the CoP in the plug tunnel & stop water ingress. 

• Member Contributer
On 7/27/2023 at 2:13 AM, Mohawk said:

I used CBR1000RR 2007 ones, they are just the right length. Get a couple of 3-4mm ish O-rings (I forgot the actual size I used) to add just below the top to centralise the CoP in the plug tunnel & stop water ingress. 

This could be of interest:

06-07 CBR1000RR Coils are "Denso 129700-4840 J0484"

and

06-07 GSXR600/GSXR750 are "Denso 129700-4840 J0480"

The only visible difference between the CBR and Gixxer COPs is the seal.  As adkinn's said on his conversion, the Gixxer COPs "have the 'over the hole' seal" to help keep water out.

With adkinns conversion as a guide, I used 06-07 Gixxer COPs08-16 CBR1000RR wiring harness and replaced the white CBR plugs with black.

• Member Contributer
On 7/27/2023 at 5:13 AM, Mohawk said:

Hey Gig, good to see you on here again. 

Hey Mohawk!

I got lucky and saw a newish set of 2004-2007 on ebay which looked slightly longer, so for $49 i gave it a shot, and as suggested they are perfect. The GSXR with the top seal would be nice but i had added an additional o ring, "great minds".

The insulation that was starting to rust on the 2008, the 2007 have an addition exterior coating which should help, cost cutting in 2008 i guess.

I laid the bike down year and half ago, and got side tracked on a tesla model 3, only so much i could do to it "thank god" suspension, brakes and wheels. Just got the bike back in shape. Have a Dyno and mapping session scheduled tomorrow, so should be all systems go. 

Thanks for the replies

Archived